1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask an Evangelical IV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GhostWriter16, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Was the Protestant Reformation backed by God to confront the deviltry of the Catholic Church or was it backed by Satan to cause a split within the Christian faith?

2. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

It depends on who you ask. So, either of them, both of them, or neither of them.

3. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I wouldn't use the word "Deviltry" necessarily. Rampant corruption and theological inaccuracies, but remember that Luther was Catholic once:p

You more or less know my answer to that one though, and the answer of every Evangelical. Catholics would obviously have the opposite answer. What might be more interesting is what EO's think of it.

And yes, I'm deliberately not answering the question. You guys can figure it out for yourselves.

4. timtofly

timtofly One Day

It was probably just humans if I hazarded a guess, but I do not know.

5. caketastydelish

caketastydelish By any means necessary

Why do so many evangelical Christians (at least the ones I've met in real life) tend to completely ignore people like Constantine even though they were critical in spreading Christianity into what it is today?

6. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Much worse is the vilification of Constantine, which baffles me completely.

7. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Okay, you two :)
    Google methodological naturalism versus ontological naturalism and then separate the two; then explain if there is any difference in what these two claims mean - "how exactly did any of that happen in a recordable time frame" and "the evidence is just not out there in the real world" - if you answer with methodological naturalism versus ontological naturalism.

BTW the real word is not science, that is philosophy :) :) :)

8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I'll ask again: is your pastor paid to be your pastor?

Secondly: do you believe that there are modern miracles (either divine or infernal)? Like, if you analyzed each miraculous event, they'd show to necessitate supernatural intervention in order to occur.

My mother recently tried to show me a 'healing video' of a man with a pained, artificial hip (who normally had huge mobility issues) being 'healed' at a conference because the pain disappeared and he was really mobile. I passed it off as a clear case of mania-induced placebo, but the man said "it feels like my artificial hip has been replaced with a new, healed, hip". Now, placebo is one thing, but if it *had* been a regrown hip that had replaced the artificial hip, I'd call it clearly supernatural.

I leave the caveat for infernal miracles, because in the Bible we have demonic forces enacting some pretty impressive supernatural feats.

9. Global Skeptic

Global Skeptic King

Well, since God is benevolent then it can't be the case for the real Believers, only the wrong ones. Now how to determine who are the real Believers and who are the wrong ones, is not possible for an agnostic like me.

10. El_Machinae

I don't understand your reply. Could you rephrase?

11. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

What happens if you have a religion-related question which you can not answer? Do you ask someone more qualified and accept the answer? Do you discuss it with people from your church? Is there an unsettled theological issue in your community?

12. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/10/evangelicals-embryo-adopt_n_1871832.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Should this take priority over adoptingchilden that have already been born? Should gay married couples be encourage do adopt embryos? With so many babies available, is sex no longer appropriate since there is already an oversupply of embryos ready to adopt?

13. Heerlo

Heerlo Jedi Master Hearlo

I do believe that miracles can happen today just like they could in Bible days.The Bible says that God does not change.

Demons might have done some things in the Bible, but I don't think there are any recorded instances in the Bible of someone being healed through the power of demon forces, except for a possible Prophecy of this in Revelation yet to happen.

14. El_Machinae

Where in Revelation does it talk about infernal forces being able to heal?
    Is there a reason to think that infernal forces cannot perform 'positive' miracles? I mean, being able to turn staffs into snakes is pretty impressive.

15. Heerlo

Well, I think it talks about the Beast having a deadly wound which was healed, possibly indicating someone(maybe the Antichrist) being wounded and then being healed by the power of demon forces.

But that's just a theory.I don't know for sure.

Yes, evidently it is possible for people to do some things by that kind of power, but I don't know of anywhere in the Bible where it was used for good.

16. El_Machinae

Why do you think that (credible) infernal and divine miracles are so rare?

17. Heerlo

I don't know.Maybe people just can't believe enough.

18. El_Machinae

That makes sense with regards to divine miracles. Jesus constantly links the idea of faith with miracles. In the Old Testament, miracles were not so much linked with faith of people, but in the New Testament they are.

Do you think demonic miracles are limited by the faith of people too?

19. timtofly

timtofly One Day

When you start getting into miracles and faith, you have two options, that the person has faith that God will respond, or the person is obedient to God and allows God to use them in a miraculous way. I think there should be a distinction between the two. I have a sneaky suspicion that when it comes to the demonic there is no option. A person may think that they are in control, but it seems to me that it eventially is the demonic force that controls the individual.

When the magicians of Pharoah failed to re-create the miracles of Moses, it was not because they did not have enough faith. It was that the demons were unable to accomplish the task. It seems to me that the power of demons is restricted to people with limited knowledge when it comes to controlling them. Normally a person using their intellect and reasoning skills do not feel the need to call up mystical powers. In fact if they did, they may have to also admit that there are mystical forces including God. That does not rule out that satan can dupe people into feeling in control, but I highly doubt that an individual has an open contract with him. Demons on the other hand are more primitive in what they can or cannot do.

Most people today are interested in science and other things to explain God away, they do not need demonic forces to do so.

20. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Do you see miracles in every way?
    Do you see miracles everyday?