Ask an Evangelical IV

Almost every church I see portrays Jesus as a European, he has white skin, brownish, long straight hair, sometimes even blonde. Wouldn't it be more accurate if Jesus was portrayed as a Semite, more Arabic looking, with darker skin, curly black hair, a long black beard and so on... Also what do you think about black Jesus.

Almost every church I see portrays Jesus as a European, he has white skin, brownish, long straight hair, sometimes even blonde. Wouldn't it be more accurate if Jesus was portrayed as a Semite, more Arabic looking, with darker skin, curly black hair, a long black beard and so on... Also what do you think about black Jesus.

He was not well-formed or especially handsome;
we saw him, but his appearance did not attract us.
People despised and avoided him,
a man of pains, well acquainted with illness.
Like someone from whom people turn their faces,
he was despised; we did not value him.

But still that does not explain why is he portrayed as a European when we can at least assume that the probability was that he was a Semite [Middle Eastern appearance]

For whatever reason everyone feels the need to think of Jesus as looking like they do. I've often pictured Jesus as "White" since that is how he's drawn, but that makes no sense to me. Picturing him as "Black" is exactly the same, incorrect, but otherwise harmless. Jesus was really middle eastern as you say.

@KoreanPresident:
Huh? I remember that in the bible god asked someone to kill his son. He didn't kill him because god said no, but what if he said yes? He was about to kill his son just because something that is superior asked him to do that.
Also, I don't think so that the people who were before the "Chosen People" were bad, only they had another beliefs, why should god ask first Kill them all, instead of saying "Go there and teach them the word of God".I remember I asked an evangelical the same question of why god approved killing non-believers, and he said because those people were bad, and also his sons and the future sons, it just put me off. Now I ask this an I get practically the same answer.

@KoreanPresident:
Huh? I remember that in the bible god asked someone to kill his son. He didn't kill him because god said no, but what if he said yes? He was about to kill his son just because something that is superior asked him to do that.
Also, I don't think so that the people who were before the "Chosen People" were bad, only they had another beliefs, why should god ask first Kill them all, instead of saying "Go there and teach them the word of God".I remember I asked an evangelical the same question of why god approved killing non-believers, and he said because those people were bad, and also his sons and the future sons, it just put me off. Now I ask this an I get practically the same answer.

If you mean Abraham being told to kill Issac, I think that may have supposed to have been a test of Abraham's Faith, because God had told Him that He was going to have a seed[descendants]come through Issac.I think that Abraham believed that Promise so strongly that he knew that even if he killed Issac that God would still fulfill the Promise, even if He had to raise Issac from the dead.

And if you mean Israel by the Chosen People, yes, they were bad.They were once following God at least some, but they turned their back on Him and resorted to worshipping idols and offering children in sacrifice to idols, and committed all sorts of other sins.In short, they were wicked, they were evil, and it was not wrong for God to bring judgement on them for that.

And also anyone who doesn't accept Jesus as their Savior will eventually face judgement, whether in this world or Hell.We are all born sinners, and deserving of God's Wrath, but Jesus died so we could be Redeemed from sin and get to Heaven.So if we don't accept Him, we will not make it into Heaven, and will really just go to Hell.I guess that's really just the simplest way to put it.

If were not saved, then we are naturally sinners, and deserving of God's Wrath, so we must accept Jesus as our Savior and let God cleanse us of our sin, and by accepting Christ we can make it to Heaven, but He is the only way.

Damn. [feces]'s crazy yo.

Of course it is! Jesus performs miracles, why shouldn't Jesus perform them via skateboarding?

Because Jesus is 100% man.

On a related note, would it not be even cooler if Jesus could teach his followers said tricks?

Yes that would be awesome. What would be Jesus' signature move and would he have a totally rad hideout in San Diego like he does in Rocket Power?

They're drawing from a tradition of European artists who interacted almost exclusively with Europeans. That's just what people looked like as far as they were concerned. Similarly, a lot of Medieval and Renaissance art depicts Biblical figures in contemporary dress. You see comparable trends in traditional African Christian art, although we in the west lack much exposure to it:

Of course, when most people talk about black Jesus, they're talking about depictions of Jesus emerging from the west that are specifically geared toward bucking the "white Jesus" norm. The intentions behind these can range from noble to stupid. Regardless, there's very little Christian art that aims for complete realism. Anyone who insists that Jesus was definitely black or white in real life probably isn't worth listening to, except Huey Freeman.

So Dom, what are your thoughts on the use of art in worship, and the fact that all the art coming from evangelicals kind of sucks?

If some one related to that experience, I would agree with you.
Awesomes!

Damn. [feces]'s crazy yo.
INORITE!

Because Jesus is 100% man.
Are you saying it's impossible for a man to do that?

Yes that would be awesome. What would be Jesus' signature move and would he have a totally rad hideout in San Diego like he does in Rocket Power?
Such questions are out of my league, I propose that we ask an evangelical.

But still that does not explain why is he portrayed as a European when we can at least assume that the probability was that he was a Semite [Middle Eastern appearance]

It explains it, but not really the way people want to hear it. People tend to portray Jesus as something wonderful and pleasing. As, an ordinary every day unpleasant person we would not like to associate with, does not translate well in art. That is unless one is a realist, but more people are attracted to pleasantry than reality. Technically I don't think that it is wrong to portray Jesus in a positive way, if it helps one relate to Jesus, but if it misleads people to think that being a christian is perfection, then it would be wrong. Being a christian is doing what is right in God's eyes, even if it is hard to do. It is not getting away with evil with a free pass.

Such questions are out of my league, I propose that we ask an evangelical.

Never heard of Rocket Power, so it is out of my league as well. It has been said though, that when perfection happens, a child will still be a child at 100, so there will definitely be a longer period to enjoy the finer things in life.

For whatever reason everyone feels the need to think of Jesus as looking like they do. I've often pictured Jesus as "White" since that is how he's drawn, but that makes no sense to me. Picturing him as "Black" is exactly the same, incorrect, but otherwise harmless. Jesus was really middle eastern as you say.
If Jesus were alive today, do you think that he should be profiled at the airport?

Never heard of Rocket Power, so it is out of my league as well. It has been said though, that when perfection happens, a child will still be a child at 100, so there will definitely be a longer period to enjoy the finer things in life.
Who said that where?

If Jesus were alive today, do you think that he should be profiled at the airport?

Yes, if they were profiling for people of middle eastern descent.

Who said that where?

Jewish Scripture 500+ BCE said:
17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create; for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.

19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in My people; and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

20 There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man, that hath not filled his days; for the youngest shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner being a hundred years old shall be accursed.

21 And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them.

If you mean Abraham being told to kill Issac, I think that may have supposed to have been a test of Abraham's Faith, because God had told Him that He was going to have a seed[descendants]come through Issac.I think that Abraham believed that Promise so strongly that he knew that even if he killed Issac that God would still fulfill the Promise, even if He had to raise Issac from the dead.

And if you mean Israel by the Chosen People, yes, they were bad.They were once following God at least some, but they turned their back on Him and resorted to worshipping idols and offering children in sacrifice to idols, and committed all sorts of other sins.In short, they were wicked, they were evil, and it was not wrong for God to bring judgement on them for that.

And also anyone who doesn't accept Jesus as their Savior will eventually face judgement, whether in this world or Hell.We are all born sinners, and deserving of God's Wrath, but Jesus died so we could be Redeemed from sin and get to Heaven.So if we don't accept Him, we will not make it into Heaven, and will really just go to Hell.I guess that's really just the simplest way to put it.

If were not saved, then we are naturally sinners, and deserving of God's Wrath, so we must accept Jesus as our Savior and let God cleanse us of our sin, and by accepting Christ we can make it to Heaven, but He is the only way.

I mean that God told israelites to kill the people who was in the Holy Land.

I mean that God told israelites to kill the people who was in the Holy Land.

I think the Bible says somewhere that for the sin of those people that God was giving their land to Israel, or something like that.So it may just be that God used His own people to bring judgement on people who deserved it.

Well, my parents are fallible and so, even though I'm supposed to obey them, they can actually be wrong. The Bible, on the other hand, can't be wrong on anything (According to my beliefs.)

So, if I "Disagree" with the Bible, I am the one who's wrong.
Since you subscribe your certainty that the Bible can't be wrong on belief, do you recognize that you too are not infallible, neither is anyone who taught you the Bible can't be wrong, so that your belief that the Bible can't be wrong might be wrong?

Since you subscribe your certainty that the Bible can't be wrong on belief, do you recognize that you too are not infallible, neither is anyone who taught you the Bible can't be wrong, so that your belief that the Bible can't be wrong might be wrong?

Man, I've had a motorbike crash, many fine scotches and an 11 hour work day. Don't hurt my brain like that.

You might want to re-think this point. John 14:17,26

Do you see the irony of using the Bible to rethink my point, considering the question I asked?

I see the irony of the dilemma. Why would any one think that another person would be able to teach about God? Even using the Bible as you so succinctly put it.

Top Bottom