[RD] Ask me about Borderline Personality Disorder.

Greywulf

King
In an effort to do something about the stigma surrounding my disorder, as well as all the misconceptions, I'm posting this thread to help others to learn about it and understand it better, and to stop thinking of people with BPD as monsters.
So...Ask me about Borderline Personality Disorder.

What is it?

Are your personal relationships unstable, or very dramatic relative to what you think is normal? Especially any romantic and/or sexual relationships?

Do you have issues with fear of abandonment or rejection that appear to be much stronger than what most people deal with?

Do your emotions spin out of control all the time, and do you have difficulty controlling them? Have you gotten better at controlling your responses to emotions over time, and if so, was there any approach you used that appeared to help?

Have you found psychotherapy to be at all helpful? In particular, have you tried dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)?

What is it?

It's actually quite complicated, but simply put it is a personality disorder that effects the individual's emotional stability, as well as their behaviour and relationships with others. It's a chronic condition that typically begins to be noticeable in adolescence. In some parts of the world it is called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, or Emotional Dysregulation Disorder, especially since the term "Borderline" does not help with understanding the illness (personally I actually prefer the term "Borderline", though I think many other people with BPD feel differently).

Do you think the similar abbreviations (BD and BPD) cause any confusion between it and bipolar disorder?

No...

Okay, what about BPD?

Never mind

Wait, tell me...

I guess it isn't about fencesitting

My Dad was manic-depressive, he'd be really gung ho and then bummed and back to gung ho. I didn't inherit it, or my Mom's steady and easy demeanor won that battle for my soul.

Was there a question in that? Sorry to hear about your dad. Manic-Depression is a particularly difficult condition for someone to suffer.

Are your personal relationships unstable, or very dramatic relative to what you think is normal? Especially any romantic and/or sexual relationships?

Depending on the relationship. I've progressed a lot, and my relationships with some family members is very stable. I fight hard to keep my relationships with friends stable too, but I feel inwardly that they are not as stable as I would like them to be. It doesn't help that most people I know don't know what BPD is either, lol..
I'm comorbid with Avoidant Personality Disorder, and have depression and PTSD, all of which also is are big influencing factors. I'm currently single, and feel rather negative about potential romantic/sexual relationships. I do really want to progress in that area however, but I know it will take a while, and I'm not wanting to be a burden on a significant other...Would rather deal with my problems now then burden someone else with them.

Do you have issues with fear of abandonment or rejection that appear to be much stronger than what most people deal with?

Most definitely. That is a huge part of the condition for me. I try not to believe that most people will abandon me, but I can't seem to stop myself from believe it. I can sense that this is a bigger problem than it is for most other people too.

Do your emotions spin out of control all the time, and do you have difficulty controlling them? Have you gotten better at controlling your responses to emotions over time, and if so, was there any approach you used that appeared to help?

During my teenage years this was especially bad for me, but I have progressed a lot in this regard. It hasn't gone away however, as this condition is chronic. The way I would describe it is for most people emotions come on like turning on a tap, but for me it is like a big bucket of water all at once. I am nearly always able to control myself, but I know to leave the room and go some place by myself for a bit when it happens. What I do is I try to think about it logically, and now of course I'm also self aware of what's happening...as a teen I wasn't. Being self aware helped me to understand that my emotions aren't balanced, and that I shouldn't react to what has happened ~ say getting angry over spilled milk...obviously it's ridiculous to get angry about something like that, but when triggered it actually seems logical. Knowing it isn't helps you to analyse rather than react. When it is overwhelming, simply leaving for a bit to cool off works well. Taking deep breaths too is helpful, and definitely listening to music has been a life saver.

Have you found psychotherapy to be at all helpful? In particular, have you tried dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)?

I've been trying to get DBT, but it's not easy to get where I live for some reason. I have done lots of psychotherapy however, and it has been largely very helpful. On the otherhand, advice I was given by some was not always beneficial, and also there's the fact that BPD tends to be misdiagnosed a lot.

Do you think the similar abbreviations (BD and BPD) cause any confusion between it and bipolar disorder?
That's a good question. I haven't thought about that before, but I'm thinking there's a possibility that is the case, especially since people with BPD are surprisingly often misdiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, even though they are very different conditions.

Was there a question in that? Sorry to hear about your dad. Manic-Depression is a particularly difficult condition for someone to suffer.

Yes...and you've been answering it. My Dad wasn't too bad off, it can be much worse. It didn't stop him from achieving success in his chosen field.

Are there any studies on LSD or Mushrooms as a treatment? I understand LSD is having success treating PTSD.

Yes...and you've been answering it. My Dad wasn't too bad off, it can be much worse. It didn't stop him from achieving success in his chosen field.
I'm very glad to hear that your dad is successful, and thank you for sharing that as well! It adds to all the evidence that people who have mental illnesses can indeed be successful, and can even lead normal lives. They often just need some extra support, and there's nothing wrong with needing help. It is encouraging for others who suffer from various mental illnesses to hear of individuals who were successful despite their conditions.

Are there any studies on LSD or Mushrooms as a treatment? I understand LSD is having success treating PTSD.
I wouldn't know anything about that personally, as I have never tried those kinds of things ~ nor do I intend to.

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-39516345

There's quite a bit of literature on the subject, but its probably illegal where you're at anyway. Are you on any drugs now or do you just get by without medications?
I used to drink a lot of alcohol (some view alcohol as a drug), which I was using to numb or "treat" the agony of emotional anguish. Later on I discovered, with the help of family members, that I'd become an alcoholic (didn't think so for some time at first though, but those few family members didn't give up on me). It's been a bit over two years now since my last drink (let me tell you, that is quite a feat for someone with BPD!), and I identify as a recovered alcoholic, though I still think about having a drink when the periods of emotional anguish get particularly harsh.
Perhaps more to the point, for a long time I was on antidepressants, but found that they only treated the depression specifically, and didn't stop the emotional agony I periodically experienced, nor did they do anything when I was triggered. I've gotten very good at dealing with depression without any meds since then, and found that the stuff that I do to keep myself from being depressed are also often beneficial for BPD as well. Generally I prefer not to be on meds, as I feel more independent without them, and don't like having to deal with side effects either. Not really against meds either, but I do see them more as a "band-aid" solution instead of a cure, and I wanted something more substantial than that.

Hi Greywulf, hope all is well and thanks for sharing your experiences. I just recently and I mean very recently learned my younger brother is dealing with what I assume to be BPD, seemingly to go from states of mania to depression, abusing substances to deal with personal pain, panic attacks at work, and now at a place where he 'doesn't trust' professionals in mental health and no longer is going to therapy though trying to get prescribed some medication from a psychiatrist. We did not grow up together and have not been in touch for a long time, and I have been trying to reach out to see how he was all year having heard he was having some troubles, so when I finally got through I learned most of this stuff and he also shared that he was suicidal and well that he constantly has those kind of thoughts. He did not specifically share what is going on or what he has been diagnosed with (except that he has been) and he refuses to stay with me based on the fact that in the past his experiences with me has sometimes been confrontational in conversation (if we have differing opinions I strongly argue my perspective to the point that in all honestly I may seem dismissive to the other person's) and he recognizes this would not be conducive to his mental health (unfortunately we had again such a conversation about some of the things he was expressing on social media that he himself showed me that same timeframe after I reached out to him). So now I am at a place where I know he is dealing with a lot of stuff and not seemingly able to really support himself, but he is also not really opening up for help, either from me or at this point professionally. In your personal experience do you have any advice for how someone in my position (family but never been close, not a trusting relationship - very concerned) should best approach this situation?

I am reaching out for professional support on the matter but I greatly value the life experiences that people can share here, thanks in advance for any insight.

Hi Greywulf, hope all is well and thanks for sharing your experiences. I just recently and I mean very recently learned my younger brother is dealing with what I assume to be BPD, seemingly to go from states of mania to depression, abusing substances to deal with personal pain, panic attacks at work, and now at a place where he 'doesn't trust' professionals in mental health and no longer is going to therapy though trying to get prescribed some medication from a psychiatrist. We did not grow up together and have not been in touch for a long time, and I have been trying to reach out to see how he was all year having heard he was having some troubles, so when I finally got through I learned most of this stuff and he also shared that he was suicidal and well that he constantly has those kind of thoughts. He did not specifically share what is going on or what he has been diagnosed with (except that he has been) and he refuses to stay with me based on the fact that in the past his experiences with me has sometimes been confrontational in conversation (if we have differing opinions I strongly argue my perspective to the point that in all honestly I may seem dismissive to the other person's) and he recognizes this would not be conducive to his mental health (unfortunately we had again such a conversation about some of the things he was expressing on social media that he himself showed me that same timeframe after I reached out to him). So now I am at a place where I know he is dealing with a lot of stuff and not seemingly able to really support himself, but he is also not really opening up for help, either from me or at this point professionally. In your personal experience do you have any advice for how someone in my position (family but never been close, not a trusting relationship - very concerned) should best approach this situation?

I am reaching out for professional support on the matter but I greatly value the life experiences that people can share here, thanks in advance for any insight.
I hope that I can be helpful. First thing that came to mind is to just be there for him and don't disappear (not that you would disappear, but I want to cover this point), and I felt the need to say this first since that is a particularly big deal for people who have BPD. We want to believe that we won't be abandoned, but our brains seem to be wired to think that abandonment is inevitable, and in many cases the person with BPD may act out, sometimes to test that belief, which often enough actually drives people away. It's a bit of a vicious cycle that feeds on itself unfortunately, and being self aware of this is a tremendous first step to progression. As you said, your brother has been diagnosed, which is good for getting that self awareness of living with BPD. So what I'm saying here is that if he does act out or seem to be pushing you away, don't buy that, because deep down in actuality he wants to see if you care enough to hang around anyway, and that you love him despite his problems. It ends up being a great comfort when people hang around anyway, and that helps too when the person with BPD does the self hating, since they can reason that others love them despite their imperfections, so they can too. Additionally, one is far less likely to actually go through with suicidal thoughts when they can think of people who truly care about them and know that these ones would be deeply hurt if they died.
Suicidal behaviour is sadly very common with BPD (might be the illness with the highest percentage of suicides), as it is a particularly grueling and cruel condition to have to live with, and thought to be the most emotionally painful. The average attempts of suicide for BPD is three attempts, I believe, and if someone with BPD talks about suicidal thoughts, take them seriously. Although admittedly I have also a couple of times attempted suicide in the past, I've also held myself back from it many more times due to individuals who truly care about me, being horrified at the idea of hurting them in any way...Enduring the agony was better than hurting these ones that I love. You too can make that difference for your brother.
Try to learn as much as you can about the condition, and if his condition is comorbid with other conditions (comorbidity means that the condition is co-occuring/existing with another condition) research that as well. That information will go a long way with understanding your brother and knowing how you can help him. If you can, try to get others to help him as well. The more caring people in his life, the better. People with BPD don't thrive at all in isolation, even if it outwardly looks like they seek it (they aren't seeking it, but it can look like it), so being around lots of people who understand and care is very healing.
Don't neglect yourself either however, as if you burnout then you won't be much help to others. In some cases of BPD, it can be at times draining to be around the individual. I'm not sure what it is like in your situation, but just make sure you look after yourself too.
Thank you for reaching out for help for your younger brother. That shows that you really do care, and I hope that you can get lots of support. Hope that was helpful!

Have you seen Marvel's Daredevil season 3 on Netflix? If yes, how did you feel about the portrayal of BPD in that show?

Have you seen Marvel's Daredevil season 3 on Netflix? If yes, how did you feel about the portrayal of BPD in that show?
I haven't seen that, but thank you for drawing it to my attention. What's the character's name who has it? Is it a positive portrayal? I'd like to see a positive as well as accurate depiction of a character with BPD, ideally a main character. Would be a nice change since the media likes to portray characters with BPD as the "bad guys".

I haven't seen that, but thank you for drawing it to my attention. What's the character's name who has it? Is it a positive portrayal? I'd like to see a positive as well as accurate depiction of a character with BPD, ideally a main character. Would be a nice change since the media likes to portray characters with BPD as the "bad guys".
I'm going to put this in spoiler tags, because a lot of people might not have seen it (I'll still try to keep the spoilers to a minimum)
Spoiler :

In DD season 3, the main henchman, Bullseye, has BPD. So yeah, it's a bad guy. I guess they did try to underline his humanity, make his character arc seem more humane and relatable, but to me it just came off as ridiculous. I'm not an expert on BPD, but the portrayal of BPD seemed pretty inaccurate to me, and it made the main henchman seem like a moody wimp. But like I said, I'm not an expert on the disorder so who knows, maybe it's more accurate than many other shows?

What does "borderline" mean in this sense? What's the border between?

What does "borderline" mean in this sense? What's the border between?

It's actually quite complicated, but simply put it is a personality disorder that effects the individual's emotional stability, as well as their behaviour and relationships with others. It's a chronic condition that typically begins to be noticeable in adolescence. In some parts of the world it is called Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, or Emotional Dysregulation Disorder, especially since the term "Borderline" does not help with understanding the illness (personally I actually prefer the term "Borderline", though I think many other people with BPD feel differently).

Reading all these symptoms and traits it sounds like an amplification of certain (most/all?) 'emotions' found in not just other people but common throughout nature, maybe not the suicidal aspect though. Do animals commit suicide? Who doesn't fear abandonment? Borderline is a good term, helps locate where on the spectrum we are. For example, I have a slight paranoia about leaving the stove on - probably cuz I left it on in the past and could have started a fire. As a result I'll turn the stove off, walk away, and go back to make sure I turned it off. But I'll do that with stuff that isn't life threatening if left unattended.

I wouldn't call that obsessive-compulsive and maybe not even borderline, but its there in me. Could be just an evolutionary imperative part of our survival instincts. Or just a bad, untrustworthy memory ;) Do researchers have any idea about the cause? Is it chemical or hardwired? So much of what we are is determined by hormones during gestation I tend to believe its a chemical imbalance and that the right chemical brew can be taken to create more balance.

Top Bottom