Ask Me Anything

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by Funak, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

For example I have 3 cities: A, B and Capital.
    A and B located on the same continent, where A is coastal city and B is inland city.
    Capital is also coastal city but it's located on another continent.

So the problem is that I can't build Train Station in city B when it's connected with city A via railroad. And city A has Lighthouse.

2. ExpiredReign

ExpiredReign Deity

Does your capital have a lighthouse? It needs one to form the connection.

3. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

Yes, it has.

The strange thing is that I after all was able to build Train Station in city B. But the opportunity came only after few turns, 3-5 turns if I remember correctly. So the point is I couldn't do this right after I've established railroad connection between city A and B.

4. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Probably a blockading enemy unit.

G

5. BliTTzZ

BliTTzZ Warlord

No, there weren't any enemy units. I'll try to simulate it again and this time will pay more attention to details.

6. Barak

Barak Emperor

Why does it seem like my spies do nothing? When I have agents in foreign cities it takes forever to steal anything and the potential is always low. However in my capital the potential is often 10 in the industrial age even with an agent present and a constabulary built. Further my agent cant seem to catch anyone.

It just seems to me that the AI spies work much better than mine ever do...

7. Funak

Funak Deity

Probably because you've got more of your science output focused in the capital?

Honestly don't really know, but I doubt the AI spies are intentionally better than yours.

8. Magean

Magean Prince

Hi!

Back in the game after a couple months.
    So... I'm Siam and the only founder of a religion on my continent. I delayed getting the 2nd Great Prophet until I had converted every city on the landmass (4 majors, including me, and double that number of city-states). Now, it's the late middle-ages and I'm facing a dilemma. Should I take Clericalism as enhancer belief (+1 happiness for every two foreign cities following my religion, +15 influence resting point for converted CS) or Sainthood (+1 culture and +1 science for every 6 followers abroad, gain faith when expanding a great person)?

Since I'm Siam and playing the diplo game, Clericalism looks like an excellent choice. Combined with Statecraft, my influence resting point with CS on my home continent would be near friendship level! Plus, currently, with 24 foreign cities following my religion, I would get 12 happiness. I don't really need the happiness right now but it's still a boon.

However, since I have a religious monopoly over my hemisphere, there really are a lot of followers. About 240 followers abroad, that's +40 science and culture, and likely to go up as population grows. Excellent too. My culture output is strong, my science output... not so.

Now, what would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance!

9. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Both are good choices, as you noted, but Sainthood gives you more options. And the cultural boost indirectly leads to more happiness, Wonders, etc.

10. Funak

Funak Deity

Never really been that much of a fan of Clericalism, so I would probably go for Sainthood in this case.

11. Magean

Magean Prince

Thanks guys, I was leaning toward Sainthood - now I can pick it without qualms. Plus, there's a synergy with ascetism: more food=>more believers.

Aside from that... what should I do with my faith now and up until the Industrial era? I can either prepare for a spiritual invasion (aka missionary swarm) of the other continent, which will be difficult as there are 3 religions for 5 Civs there. I'm not sure I'd be able to keep a foothold over the ocean... or should I just let Prophets be born... to plant them (never been a big Holy Sites user) or to spread the faith?

12. Funak

Funak Deity

In your specific scenario spamming holy-sites would probably be the best choice.

13. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

How does war weariness work? From my games, I know that it only appears after the industrial era, it appears to be tied to units outside of your territory, and it ticks up every turn, but is there a way to mitigate it? It's really annoying.

14. Funak

Funak Deity

I don't know the exact details, I think someone actually wrote a thread about how it works but I can't remember where I saw it or what it was called.

Anyways, War Weariness only starts applying after you have an ideology (the guy you fight does not need to have one afaik). In general I think that every turn you're at war you have a chance to build one unhappiness (or you build some fraction of unhappiness every turn you're at war, maybe?) and this unhappiness stays in effect as long as you remain at war. It doesn't all fall off instantly as you peace out, but fade away over time.
    As for ways to mitigate it, I think there is an ideology tenet that reduces war weariness, but that's it afaik.

15. tongfar

tongfar Chieftain

What do you do when your neighbor is Shaka and you haven't UU in the ancient or classical era?

16. Funak

Funak Deity

Settle really defensible cities and set up a strong crossbow/cannon defense. Don't leave any room for him to surround you. Kill him with artillery once you reach dynamite.

17. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

It's tied to the longest war you have currently on and requires an Ideology.

18. Navanod

Navanod Warlord

Can I annex/puppet CS and then trade/gift them to an AI civ?

19. Funak

Funak Deity

Pretty sure I've had the option to ask for conquered city-states in a trade-deal so it should definitely be possible.
    And yes I'm pretty sure you have the option to liberate them after getting them through a trade.

20. Navanod

Navanod Warlord

Thanks Funak.
    You guessed it, I want the AI to liberate the CS for me so I can tribute them again. Haha