Ask People from Other Countries 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't work ;)

Normally, they suggest to have 100-150 grams of cheese per person for a Raclette. When we make one at home, we use 1 kilogram for 4 people, and I eat as much as the 3 others put together :D

Yeah, I have the same kind of history with food cheese :rolleyes: Every now and then I have sprees of several days eating about 500 g a day... I'm going to have heart attack before I turn 40, but on the other hand life wihtout cheese is not worth living.

They say that the best way to cure these types of sickness is to keep giving the person what they want (melted cheese in this case :drool:) in huge amounts everyday. :D

Correction: I was talking about the smell of melted Raclette-cheese. Even more if you like the smell, you don't want to be perdisposed only to the smell.

So is this raclette anything like camembert? because I'm pretty sure I could handle 500g a day.

To people in the U.S., where does your definition of rubber and plastic coincide? As far as I know it, rubber is the stuff tyres are made of (and sealing rings, car suspension parts, bicycle brake pads etc), everything else is called plastic whether soft or hard. I've noticed some of you refer to plastic things as rubber?

To people living in countries with a large land area: Have you ever travelled to the ends of your country?

North, South and East. I've yet to make it out West, though.

To people in the U.S., where does your definition of rubber and plastic coincide? As far as I know it, rubber is the stuff tyres are made of (and sealing rings, car suspension parts, bicycle brake pads etc), everything else is called plastic whether soft or hard. I've noticed some of you refer to plastic things as rubber?

I'm not 100% certain, but the way I view it is that rubber has a little more elasticity and bounce to it than plastic. Plastic tends to be more rigid and brittle.

To anyone in Spain:

My spanish teacher is always going on about how Spaniards take a siesta in the middle of the day and then stay awake until like two in the morning. How prevalent is this over there?

Also, to the others out there, how many times a month do you eat food/recipes/dishes native to your country/state/hometown?

In winter, every two weeks we have a raclette
raclette for me to, about at the same interval. And we usually have Fondue at least once a month during winter. :drool:
Spätzle are being consumed quite regularly as well; same as Rösti and veal Bratwurst

To anyone in Spain:

My spanish teacher is always going on about how Spaniards take a siesta in the middle of the day and then stay awake until like two in the morning. How prevalent is this over there?

I'm told that these days, full-on sleeping isn't hugely popular. Maybe in villages. However, there is certainly a major downtime from about 2 til 5, when virtually all shops and government offices and schools and other things shut down. The idea is you relax, probably go home, eat a big meal and take shelter from the hottest part of the day. Or go have a beer. Then stuff starts up again around 5pm, remaining open til around 8. However, banks don't reopen after 2.

The nocturnal habits are very true though. Dinner is around 10pm and you always see people wandering around, even old people and kids, at like midnight. As far as clubs and bars and partying go, nobody goes out before about midnight and the nightlife lasts until after sunrise.

One thing to remember though, is that within its timezone Spain is a long way west, which means the sun rises and sets relatively later than many other places. I've read that Portuguese people tend to do everything an hour earlier than Spaniards... and that this is likely because they're in the next time zone.

Well, I've only ever had kangaroo meat once or twice (it's delicious), and I've never eaten koala or platypus. Damper is just plain bland. Apart from that, Australia doesn't have its own cuisine. Just a mish-mash of other culture's foods.

Kangaroo meat is only slightly better tan steak, but I don't like steak. Damper is bland, but you should try adjusting the recipe by substituting water for milk and then eating it with jam..
We also have the Anzac biscuit, which I love. But like all biscuits, that is a snack not a meal.

To anyone in Spain:

Siesta has never been extremly popular here (Catalonia), people from Madrid or Andalucía tells me that neither was it there. So the whole siesta thing I think is nothing but pure myth.

Everyone is sleeping at 2 o'clock, unless it's weekend.

Australians: why odnt they say "Rack off" on home and Away any more?

I've never liked Home and Away, but from what I can tell it is because this show and Neighbours have started doing the best they can to be like US soap operas, rather than keeping honest to their roots.

That said, I don't actually know many people who say "rack off". People I know are more likely to say something with the letter F.

That's because you're not the target market. Neighbours is made for export, like Fosters or Steve Irwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom