Ask People from Other Countries 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when I was visiting Germany and talking to my flatmate in Spain on the phone in Spanish, the Australians I was with were pretty impressed....

Then maybe next time I go to an English-speaking country, if I'm trying to pick up some girls, I'll pretend I'm a native English speaker (from a place far away from them, so that they can't tell if I actually sound like that or not), who learned Romanian just for the kicks! :D Actually, now that I think about it, I think my English is good enough for me to be able to pull this off - I'm curious what the results would be!!

Then maybe next time I go to an English-speaking country, if I'm trying to pick up some girls, I'll pretend I'm a native English speaker (from a place far away from them, so that they can't tell if I actually sound like that or not), who learned Romanian just for the kicks! :D Actually, now that I think about it, I think my English is good enough for me to be able to pull this off - I'm curious what the results would be!!
Perhaps your Romanian is not bad enough to pass for a second language. You should train to make more mistakes in Romanian.

What's the barbeque (read: roasted meat) in your country like?

Perhaps your Romanian is not bad enough to pass for a second language. You should train to make more mistakes in Romanian.

Actually you do have a point there! Pretending not to be able to find my words as a native would is very easy, but my accent would probably sound too advanced for a second-language. Maybe if I said I lived a few years in Romania, to study or something? Then it would be believable.

...because people whose only language is English would most certainly notice how many mistakes Mirc does (not) when speaking Romanian? ;)

What's the barbeque (read: roasted meat) in your country like?
AMAZING. :D

Srs, and my dad is great at it (he grew up on a game farm, so it makes sense).

Us South Africans pride ourselves on our braai.

Since the zimbabwean neighbours got regular access to posh portugese piri piri I have to say it's been outstanding.

Piri piri is one of the greatest tastes known to humanity.

As for roast meats here, Australia has plenty of fast food places that do roast chicken, and roast lamb is a national dish of sorts. But I just don't like roast meat.

Actually you do have a point there! Pretending not to be able to find my words as a native would is very easy, but my accent would probably sound too advanced for a second-language. Maybe if I said I lived a few years in Romania, to study or something? Then it would be believable.

Hm... Never in the history of Pop Culture have I ever seen Romanian depicted as a sexy language that made women weak. Except that short Youtube video of vampires.

Australia is more monolingual than other anglophone countries, it probably wouldn't be as impressive elsewhere.

You'd probably have better luck just being foreign!

People from other countries: How have you let this thread go to 53 pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom