1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Asparusthesaiyan's top ten science civs in Gathering Storm (Post Patch)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by AsparustheSaiyan, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

We're talking about historical candidates for science civs. I was saying that Babylon, Korea, Greece were all nice and well, but they pale to the civs of enlightenment. Of course you can argue that England gets an indirect +2 yield for research labs.

They are fine. I don't have anything against an "industrial" England, I was just saying that I somehow feel the choice of "science" civs in civilization is a bit quirky.

Newton developed the theory of gravity. Electricity, railroads, factories etc. were developed in France, England, Italy, Germany. If you feel better, make France or Germany a science civ. I don't care which one you pick.

acluewithout likes this.
  2. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

You specifically mentioned "electricity, railroads, factories" and I was pointing out that England does in fact get bonuses to those things.

Newton developed his (flawed) theory of gravity based on work from Galileo and others. I'm not trying to discredit Newton, here. He was a brilliant scientist (alchemy aside) and I have no problem with saying that he developed the first working theory of gravity. But, let's not pretend that he was the only one that matters. Besides, do we have to add Germany and/or the US to the list because Einstein came up with a better theory of gravity?

Electricity wasn't "developed" anywhere. It was discovered. You can figure out who did most of the research just by looking at some of the SI units that was use to describe electricity: Coulomb (France), Volt (Volta, Italy), Watt (Scotland), Ampere (France), Farad (Faraday, England), Ohm (Germany), Siemens (Germany). Plus, we need to consider the works of Franklin (America), Ørsted (Denmark), Maxwell (Scotland), and all the inventors who actually made electricity into the energy source that we use for so much today: Bell (Scotland, America), Tesla (Austria, America), Edison (America), etc.

We can repeat this process with railroads, etc., but I think you get the point.

And as I said, England already gets bonuses for railroads, factories, and powered buildings.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    acluewithout likes this.
  3. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

That's what I said.

I was referring to researching these technologies.

4. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I guess? You missed Scotland (distinct from England in this game), but you also skipped the rest of what I wrote. Anyway, whatever. England already gets bonuses for electricity while none of the others do.

Tech bonuses are pretty rare. Kupe gets two free techs and Dido gets a boost on one tech, but I can't think of any others. To get a boost on mid- and late-game techs would be pretty meh, though. By then, you probably don't need it.

5. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

Korea is an undisputable number one in Gathering Storm. The fully promoted Pingala giving science and culture per pop as well as 15% culture and science synergizes with policy-boosted Seowon, Hwarang and Three Kingdoms. This combo is deadly.

As for Aztecs, since the Science victory pathing change in Gathering Storm, the Spaceport rushing strat has been weakened. By the time you get to the part where multiple Spaceports are preferable, you should've already built them/purchased them with gold.

6. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

I'm speaking about general science advantages. The technologies were just examples of the scientific revolution in Europe. You can argue that scotland gets at least some science advantages (scottish enlightenment) & since England & Scotland are regarded as 'separate', you basically have a scientific England in the game.

For example, in civ 3 scientific civs were:

Babylon
    Germany
    Greece
    Persia
    Russia

-> There is at least some form of acknowledgement of the scientific revolution in form of Germany. In addition, you also have Russia as more 'modern' scientific civ.

7. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

I fail to see how "Workshop of the World" doesn't acknowledge the scientific and industrial revolutions in England given its theme and given that it provides bonuses to Production and Science.

Though, as I said a few posts back, you're trying to represent hundreds of years of culture and history with a handful of abilities. Not everything will make it.

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Adjency bonuses>Mountains(bias)>Jungle bonuses>Special bonuses

My list:

Adjency bonuses civs :

1) Korea
    2) Australia
    3) Japan
    4) Dutch

Mountains :

5) Inca
    6) Mapuche

Jungle bonuses :

7) Brazil

Special bonuses :

8) Arabia
    9) Sumeria
    10) Scotland

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  9. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

Of course it provides small bonuses to gold, culture, amenities, production and science. Do you understand why I might not view that as a specifically scientific advantage? And why I suggested a special university instead?

10. Kwami

Kwami Warlord

Not really, no. As we've agreed already, England isn't really any more "scientific" than Germany, France, Scotland, Italy, Austria, America, ... If we gave science bonuses to everyone, then they'd all feel the same and the game would be boring.

If anything, England is one of the best civs from a thematic perspective.

acluewithout likes this.
  11. Arent11

Arent11 Chieftain

In truth, there are extremely few civs in civilization 6 that have specific science bonuses.

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

I was commenting on your over-blown claim that they were "advanced", not whether they deserve to be represented in Civ.

13. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Just replace them with Scotland. :) Actually I haven't played either one in Gathering Storm. So I'm speaking only for R&F. I've only competed for fastest time 3 times. But Korea is 0 and 3. Scotland beat their time every single time. I still say production + science is better than science alone. You make a good point about Pingala (which Scotland can also benefit from), and I would like to eventually play them both in GS and see which one comes out ahead. I still say Scotland can do better.

As for China, I had a great start with them in my GS game. But their science really tapered off in the last 1/4 of the game. Getting those future era techs was difficult. You get less eurekas in the late game, and this hurts China. It ended up being one of my slowest science victories in GS according to my HOF.

14. Weraptor

Weraptor Chieftain

Yep, Scotland is really good as well, and actually one of my favs. Still, I personally have gotten better results with Korea every single time.

15. criZp

criZp Warlord

If you stay at war with someone all the time then that doens't matter, only how much science you get does.

Caprikel likes this.
  16. AsparustheSaiyan

AsparustheSaiyan Chieftain