1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

assembly debate:accepting a cease fire

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by robboo, Jul 6, 2006.

1. robboo

robboo Deity

Should we accept a cease fire with Germany. It would last fro 10 turns. Please discuss the good and bad points of this.

I am in favor of it. In my opinion due to the suddeness of war we need some more time to prepare and these 10 turns will be a good start to our war preparations. I can see no down side as our territory is being pillaged and we cannot attack the Germans in German territory with the forces we have due to the pillaging.

2. Sigma

Sigma Censor

I definitely think we should try and get one. We have nothing to lose by it, and can rebuild some roads to basillica and fortify our territory better to prevent further pillaging. We may even be able to gear up for an attack.

The problem is, Germany has nothing to gain by accepting a cease fire, and I have the feeling he'll turn it down. So as I said in the SoW thread, we need to plan for both scenarios.

3. dimaliok

dimaliok GayLORD

:agree: to post 2

4. robboo

robboo Deity

I wonder if its OK for an out of TC check on the cease fire. I dont know how that falls in the rules either. We can check on trades is a cease fire the same thing?

5. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Cease fire is part of a trade. It can be used simply to tell what it could/would take to accept a cease fire. Then we can decide if we want to accept those terms. This is like sending an envoy to Berlin.

6. robboo

robboo Deity

OK so the SoS can see what it takes and report here.

I glad you chimed in George since you will be the one defending us if you are wrong:)

7. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I agree, checking the terms of a possible cease fire is exactly like checking a trade, and a special case was written into the law for just this purpose.

On topic, I'm against giving Germany anything. The report from within the TC was that he demanded Basilica for peace, which is clearly not gonna happen. So we don't stick the DP with an unnaturally short chat, we need to plan as though the war goes on.

8. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

Just to say I pretty much agree with everything here: ceasefire if we can get it for nothing, but assume that won't happen and plan for it

9. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

We can't get cease fire for nothing at the moment, and you can't give anything for a cease fire (then it turns into a peace treaty). So I say: Kill those Germans!

10. robboo

robboo Deity

Lets kill them if we can force tehm for a 10 turn treaty then it helsp us reposition while Russia keeps them busy. We can then redeclare and hopefully take Berlin.

11. strike700

strike700 Chieftain

What is the difference between a peace treaty and a ceasefire?

12. ice2k4

ice2k4 Emperor

well cease-fire you cant make any acts of agression towards said country, like a peace treaty, however after a ceasefire ends (10 turns), you are automatically at war.

13. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

No, a ceasefire lasts forever (think US vs North Korea. Cease Fire, but no peace yet). However, a ceasefire may be canceled at any time (including the same turn it is created). A Peace Treaty guarantees peace for 10 years. You also can't trade anything to get a Cease Fire.

And the CoL says only the Citizen's Assembly may ok a Peace Treaty, but doesn't say anthing about a Cease Fire. You can check the Judiciary thread to see the current arguments there.

14. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Cease fire: nothing can be included in the deal
    Peace treaty: anything (cities, civic change, gold, tech, whatever) can be include, but only one side may give.

15. Oldbus

Well folks, the next TC is coming soon. Can we confirm that we're going to ask for a ceasefire?

16. robboo

robboo Deity

You have my vote for a cease fire. We can build quicker roads without worrying......too much about them attacking us.

Get the cease fire..I dont see anyone disagreeing.

17. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

I don't think we should make a cease fire, we're finally getting the upper hand, and I think we should at least pillage something and perhaps capture/raze a city before we make a peace treaty.

18. robboo

robboo Deity

Well its your call...if I understand the judiciary correctly.I wont fight you on it because it more in your office than mine. Just make sure SoW thinks he can do something.

19. Oldbus

I'm happy either way - a ceasefire will let us get more troops, but more defenders. Our hope of an advantage was Bismarck scaling back his military output. I'll plan on the basis of no ceasefire.

20. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

We should at least damage him in this war, and AI can't handle war anyway, so we should be allright until war weariness becomes really bad.