1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Assembly Discussion: Tax rates

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Aug 2, 2006.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Under our laws, the assembly is supposed to set tax rate guidelines for the President to follow, but it has rarely been done. Although that law now appears rather pointless, we should at least give it proper lip service by having a discussion and if necessary a vote.

Personally, I have no idea what our treasury, current tax rate, or GNP is. Anyone wanna kick this off with some numbers?

2. ice2k4

ice2k4 Chieftain

Yeh if someone could post some info for me, tat would be great. Im having a bit of a hard time with civ right now.

3. Oldbus

Oldbus Chief of Confusion

See the Cartographers thread in the Government forum - the financial info is up-to-date at the moment (3 Aug)

4. robboo

robboo Chieftain

Do we have troops that need upgrades? IF so then run zero and upgrade everything then return it to highest possible.

5. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Taxes are evil. Reduce them to 0% and keep it that way forever. ;) :D

6. ice2k4

ice2k4 Chieftain

So we are currently at 30% -1 gold a turn.

I propose we drop it to 0% (although I can't play the save, so someone is going to have to check how much we would be making) for the first four turns and then raise it to 50% for the rest of the tc. (or somehting around there. If someone can give us info on what that would put us at, that would be great.)

However, I can't do this according to the CoL

Spoiler :
    3. The President may change the Tax slider no more than 10% every 10 turns, with these exceptions:

A. The President may change taxes up to 30% in the event of budget shortfall: our nation losing money instead of gaining or staying even. However the President must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.
    B. The turn on which a technology is discovered the President may change taxes by as much as 50% but must see that a vote is brought on the matter before the next Game Session.

I could drop it to 0% legally, but then we'd have to wait 10 turns to raise it only 10% and then wait another 10 turns to raise it to 20%. After that wait a third set of ten turns to raise it back to 30% where there would be a "budget shortfall."

All in all, this brings up the question of do we need an ammendment (and if yes, I will psuh the judiciary to make this one fast.)

7. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

No, we don't need an amendment, we just need an initiative (assembly floor vote) if the rates need to change.

What are the benefits of running the suggested way, starting at 0% and then running 50% after some turns pass? Over the given number of turns, we'd have spent the same amount of gold, right?

I think the first question needs to be if there are any budget needs for cash. In the absence of any such needs, we should probably just run at the most the treasury will allow.

8. robboo

robboo Chieftain

Actually if you read some peoples opinions on the strat forum..you should only run 100 or 0 science due to the rounding. Basically you run 100 till it drops then you run 0 then back up to 100. Sounds like a pain in the butt to me even if it does squeeeze out a few turns of tech.

WHEN we trade our clams the 7gpt it will offset the -1 gpt and we can maintain 30. Its time to start whipping and chopping courthouses and the forbidden palace. Any governor too squish to use the whip....needs to consider the bigger longer term situation. Mild useage to get courthouses wont hurt us long term...if the city is growing.