1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Astronomers see 'youngest planet'

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Rik Meleet, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

An embryonic planet detected outside our Solar System could be less than 2,000 years old, astronomers say. The ball of dust and gas, which is in the process of turning into a Jupiter-like giant, was detected around the star HL Tau, by a UK team. Research leader Dr Jane Greaves said the planet's growth may have been kickstarted when another young star passed the system 1,600 years ago.

BBC news.

1600 years old planet. A good chance to learn more about planet-forming, I think.

2. Swedishguy

Swedishguy Chieftain

Cool! This means there are stuff created by man that is older than that! :cool:

3. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Maybe that guy Narz would want to move there, I hear he likes 'em young.

4. Ballazic

Ballazic Chieftain

Thats crazy. I would be cool to send something over there to watch it. How far is it away?

5. zjl56

zjl56 Chieftain

Well, to get any use out of sending a probe, it would take it 500 years to get there, going at the absolute maximum speed, and then it would take annother 500 years to recieve any data. So, I think a probe is a little out of the question.

6. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator