At last, Monopolies & Corporations. NEXT ...

onepurpose

Warlord
I´m not a big fan of NFPs released to the date (apocalypses has absurd mechanics, SS' exorbitant yields and immersion-breaking .. not for me, shuffle tech-tree & golden eras .. meh, heroes... well..fun for a couple of games but not for regular.. only monopolies & corporations does seem to fit my play-stile

so .. there has to be at least one more game-mode.. and there's a few "serious" themes which have been referred in these forums an I think would improve the game

- something related to barbarians
- plagues & health
- diplomacy

Any thought?

Last edited:
I like SS and Heroes but I agree that they aren't for every game unlike Monopolies and Corporations.

Two other game modes I'm hoping for eventually:

Prehistoric Mode: I'd like for this to add a Prehistoric Era to the game similar to what Humankind is doing. Your settlers and warriors would have to gather enough resources and information in order to settle your first city and reach the start of the normal Ancient Era. Maybe roaming animals could act as "barbarians" for this era.

Pandemic Mode: I guess this is self explanatory. It could add disease as another natural disaster. It can also come with a Pandemic Emergency which triggers if two or more civs contract a certain disease to which other civs can try to fight it by doing Research Cure projects in cities with a Research Center. Plague doctors from the Black Death scenario can come in as well as a whole new medical district with hospitals.

They promised something related to barbarians in February, I think... ¿am I wrong?
We don't know if it's a game mode or just updated for the regular game but something to do with barbarians is coming in February.

Remember it is more or less confirmed we're getting a free content update for April as well.

So that means something with barbarians in February, probably some kind of 'raging barbarians 2.0' game mode.

Then a DLC in March, with a mode that doesn't require any expansions, so it won't interact with stuff like loyalty, governors, emergencies, etc. Likely it will be a wholly original game system.

Then a final update in April. Somehow I doubt they're going to close off the NFP with something minor like a civ picker (in style of the wonder and city state picker), so I would hope to see a semi-large game mode here as well (fingers crossed for World Ideologies).

I would not hold out hope for a pandemic mode given, well, you know.
Well I've learned what I want and what will happen aren't always mutually exclusive. But that doesn't mean I won't give up on the idea. :p

I admit that I may have a somewhat different personal perspective on it, but I'd rather not see a pandemic mode until we've managed to tamp SARS-CoV-2 down to a level more like influenza, which is probably the best outcome we can reasonably expect at this point.

We've had pandemics before, and we'll have them again. I don't think it should realistically affect Firaxis' development decisions, though I'm sure PR may be less pragmatic than I am.

Oh, I'm sure we'll have them again, but from a PR standpoint it may be best to wait until Civ7 at this point.

Oh, I'm sure we'll have them again, but from a PR standpoint it may be best to wait until Civ7 at this point.
You just know that someone will mod it to rename the pandemic then YouTube it so the press will make a fuss of it.

I would not hold out hope for a pandemic mode given, well, you know.

I think that argument was valid on the first DLC of the pack, because we were still on the first shock of the current situation. But after having been living with the pandemic with around a year now (depending on the part of the world you live, it's already more than a year or nearly a year), I would say, it even feels "normal" to have such a mode.
It's tricky, and depending on the personal situation of each person I agree it may be something not appealing to some, but In the "macro"/general view, I think it would be accepted at this point already, as while we still are in a bad situation, we have a more optimistic view of the outcome than ten months ago (and there is people to which will may feel last year struggle is something interesting to be reflected in-game)

Remember it is more or less confirmed we're getting a free content update for April as well.

So that means something with barbarians in February, probably some kind of 'raging barbarians 2.0' game mode.

Then a DLC in March, with a mode that doesn't require any expansions, so it won't interact with stuff like loyalty, governors, emergencies, etc. Likely it will be a wholly original game system.

Then a final update in April. Somehow I doubt they're going to close off the NFP with something minor like a civ picker (in style of the wonder and city state picker), so I would hope to see a semi-large game mode here as well (fingers crossed for World Ideologies).

I wouldn't bet my money on a fully new system. They haven't done that and although NFP is still in its infancy, so far every system piggy backs on something already in the game

- Apocalypse - Climate System
- Secret Societies - Governors
- Dramatic Ages - Eras
- Heroes - Great People
- Monopolies - Great Works and Improvements.

So whatever is the final mode will most likely piggy back on an existing system in some way. I have a gut feeling saying that it could be an Ideology system (expanding on the Government system) in some ways.

They could technically do Plagues and Health, by piggy backing off the Fallout Mechanic (like in Death Plague) by creating a second type.

This thread might belong here:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/civilization-vi-new-frontier-pass-discussion-thread.658144/

Then a final update in April. Somehow I doubt they're going to close off the NFP with something minor like a civ picker

I think a Civ-picker in April is actually kind of the ball-park of what we should expect.

Imo a Pandemic or Ideology focused game Mode is less likely now than at the beginning of NFP. The most obvious system for a Pandemic Mode is the natural disasters system, but as Myomoto pointed out, the March DLC does not require GS. I also don't see a good outcome for an Ideologies Mode that does not touch on the Diplomatic System introduced in GS, so that's probably not it either.

I hope Myomoto is right, but I don't see it as likely.
---

I think there's a decent chance we'll see more content in the future for Civ 6, but at the same time I don't have a lot of hope they'll keep adding game modes. What I expect is a phasing out of the complexity of content:

GS: New systems
NFP: Modes using existing systems, bunch of new Civs
Future: Alt leaders and personas using existing Civs/Leaders, maybe a couple of new Civs.

I think the last game mode should be about war, combat and spy.

Last edited:
I still desperately want some kind of pandemic mode.

I actually kind of wish they deepened the archeologist system. Finding things like dinosaur bones would be cool... or the remains of "lost" cities!

You know after 2020 I have enouth of all plagues and pandemics. Please give us a break i would rahter see some event/quest system.
I have no opinion pro or con about pandemics in the game, but I do look forward to having a mask burning after the real one is over. :p An event/quest system, however, would be perfect. It adds a lot of depth to the Endless games IMO.

I kinda just still want them to add earthquakes. It's really weird to release an expansion with a focus on a natural disasters mode without them. Especially when said same expansion has an intro video heavily featuring a famous earthquake... :shifty:

They did at one point, more than half a year ago now, ask on twitter which kind additional natural disasters people wanted. Earthquakes were naturally at the top of the list :lol:

:p An event/quest system, however, would be perfect. It adds a lot of depth to the Endless games IMO.
As much as I like the Heroes and Legends mode I feel like that an event/quest system should be added to that game mode. At least thematically it would make sense rather than having a whole new game mode dedicated to one.

Reactions: PiR
As much as I like the Heroes and Legends mode I feel like that an event/quest system should be added to that game mode. At least thematically it would make sense rather than having a whole new game mode dedicated to one.
I don't think they have to be related. To return to the Endless analogy, there are a few quests that involve "take a Hero here and do this," but most of them just require performing a certain action, building certain buildings, owning certain land, or developing your empire in a certain way. I don't think such a system need explicitly involve heroes. It would be nice if it interacted with the Hero system, though. It would be nice if a lot of Civ6's systems interacted with each other, Firaxis. :p

Top Bottom