At the current state (1.0.0.20) out of 10 pts Civ5 gets....

At the current state (1.0.0.20) out of 10 pts Civ5 gets....

• 1 point out of 10

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2 points out of 10

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • 3 points out of 10

Votes: 36 10.0%
  • 4 points out of 10

Votes: 41 11.4%
  • 5 points out of 10

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • 6 points out of 10

Votes: 58 16.1%
  • 7 points out of 10

Votes: 79 21.9%
  • 8 points out of 10

Votes: 59 16.3%
  • 9 points out of 10

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • 10 points out of 10

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lschnarch

Emperor
Poll added

Edit: As already one vote seems to be based on the expectations about upcoming patches, please take notice, that I am asking for the current state of the game (1.0.0.20).
Please make your vote based on how you estimate the game at *this* patch level, not based on how it might be in one year or whenever.

I'm going with 3/10. I haven't actually finished a game yet - I really find it that dull. In fact, I've just stopped playing.I'm reinstalling Civ 4 on my new computer and downloading the Rise of Mankind mod. I'm finished with Civ 5 - at least until it's received a considerable overhaul.

I'm giving it 3 stars, though, because I concede that it does have some good ideas; the problem is, for each good feature implemented, they've removed a few that worked just fine. The removal of so many gameplay elements has reduced the immersion factor for me. I enjoyed managing an empire. I liked having dozens of interdependent factors to balance. I really didn't want it simplified. Hmph.

7/10. This will improve with subsequent patches. Even just the (upcoming) fix list we have would bump it up another point imo.

I'm going with 3/10. I haven't actually finished a game yet - I really find it that dull. In fact, I've just stopped playing.I'm reinstalling Civ 4 on my new computer and downloading the Rise of Mankind mod. I'm finished with Civ 5 - at least until it's received a considerable overhaul.

I'm giving it 3 stars, though, because I concede that it does have some good ideas; the problem is, for each good new feature implemented, they've removed a few that worked just fine.

Gave three stars when a complete game has yet to be finished. HAHAHA. What a waste of money, was you expecting Civ IV.2?? Seriously though, how can your vote mean anything considering you really have not played the game.

I think the people who say they find the game boring and "just clicking next turn" don't really like Civ games anymore. It is no more or less boring or clicking next turn than any other TBS game. In fact it is probably a little quicker paced in some ways. People's tastes change, I used to like FPS when I was 15 now I don't.

Perhaps a lot of these people simply don't have the time/attention span for Civ games anymore and are mistaking that for "boringness". The combat AI is horrible and that is frustrating, but the game is anything but boring.

As for the long load times, play in strategic view, or on smaller map,s or get a better computer, and especially play on emperor, the extra units the AI has on immortal and deity cause a huge amount of the slowdown.

5, due to the intro taking about 4 minutes and games taking 5 minutes to start, let alone load.

I have added an explanation to the first posting.

The question is not about how good the game may become, but how good you think it is at the current moment (version 1.0.0.20).

Bimodal distribution...just like you would expect based on the discussion on this board. This version really seems to have polarized the community.

Bimodal distribution...just like you would expect based on the discussion on this board. This version really seems to have polarized the community.

Wait some days.

With 18 voters at the moment of typing you cannot draw any conclusion.

Perhaps a lot fo these people simply don't have the time/attention span for Civ games anymore and are mistaking that for "boringness".

Heh, no. The AI poses little challenge. There's very little tweaking to be done to your empire. Things have been simplified or 'streamlined' to the point that there's little left to do between turns. Far less than Civ 4, certainly.

some kid said:
Seriously though, how can your vote mean anything considering you really have not played the game.

I put a good 25 hours into a few games, I just lost interest before I could finish any of them. You get to that point where winning is inevitable and there's just no point in carrying on. Sadly, despite having put such little time into the game, I feel it has little left to offer me. I feel like I've seen everything, and what I have not seen simply isn't worth seeing.

Perhaps a lot of these people simply don't have the time/attention span for Civ games anymore and are mistaking that for "boringness". The combat AI is horrible and that is frustrating, but the game is anything but boring.

The horrible AI is one reason for the game beeing boring. It offers no challange, even on emperor level.

As for the long load times, play in strategic view, or on smaller map,s or get a better computer, and especially play on emperor, the extra units the AI has on immortal and deity cause a huge amount of the slowdown.

And what should some do if he wins already on emperor all the time? If you can not lose, the game is becoming boring.

I gave 4 out of 10 stars and hope further patches and mods will improve the game.

5, due to the intro taking about 4 minutes and games taking 5 minutes to start, let alone load.

Disable the intro with the ini file. I don't have these long times, perhaps the game is a little too taxing for your system?

I think the people who say they find the game boring and "just clicking next turn" don't really like Civ games anymore. It is no more or less boring or clicking next turn than any other TBS game. In fact it is probably a little quicker paced in some ways. People's tastes change, I used to like FPS when I was 15 now I don't.

Nope, at least not for me.

Played an AND (BTS mod) game until 3 AM -- even though I had to be up for work at 5:30 AM -- just last Sunday.... and didn't realize that it was 3 AM until I walked past a clock to use the restroom (and had that "oh crap!" moment).

As a builder/dove -- there's just a ton more for me to do every turn in IV and its various flavors.

A long game isn't attention grabbing -- I play on "eternity" in AND (slowest possible setting) and my AND games can last months. My games easily enter into the 150-200 hours of total gameplay.

It's not my tastes that have changed, it's Civilization.

5/10

The big things that pulls it down is very bad AI all around.

And then its pissing me off to no end that the game is soo hardware intensive. For christ sake its a turn based strategy game! Why cant my computer run it properly when i can easily run new games like starcraft 2 which is a fast paced RTS. It simply doesnt make sense.

I cant believe the developers thought that the game, needed this detailed and advanced graphics, instead of focusing on low loadtimes between turns and unit cycling.

I gave 7. After next patch it will probably go to 8. Then I hope it goes up to 9 with all free patches but I fear it won't reach 9 until first paid expansion.

Not fun or challenging currently - 6/10. Although I think it could be 10/10 if things were redesigned and the AI fixed.

I vote 6/10. Currently, the average vote is about 5.7 which is far less than the 9/10 given by reviewers...

Wait some days.

With 18 voters at the moment of typing you cannot draw any conclusion.

Already now forming a normal distro with a skew towards liking the game.

I rated it 7, since I see it as a great foundation. With expansions the problems now can be smoothed over and with mods the game can be fine tuned. As with Civ 4 I assume this game will get better with age as people work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom