1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

At the Gates

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by civvver, May 16, 2016.

1. civvver

civvver Deity

So... did anyone get in on this kickstarter? I know it's a civ like game about barbarians vs rome and it looks like a civ5 mod with a different graphic style, for better or worse. I'm a little shocked to see the preorder price is $50. That's like tripleA priced game and it's definitely not.

Is anyone playing the alpha and is it any good?

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

$50 is the alpha price, it's $30 for release. They seem to be going with the Stardock approach of charging more for early access, so you have fewer people who buy early and give negative reviews due to its unfinished state. That approach does have its own pitfalls, but I can see the logic behind it too. It's also fairly common on Kickstarter.

I haven't played it, but I'm curious how it will turn out. Civ5 is far from my favorite Civ, but Shafer did seem to be aware of what worked well in it and what didn't, so I'm curious how this game will turn out as his next project.

Edit: I also hadn't realized it had already been so long since the Kickstarter. I certainly hope it does turn out well for the effort put into it; that's a lot of time to devote to anything!

3. civvver

civvver Deity

yeah it's taking a long to to make it out. Honestly though it looks like a really watered down civ in terms of ui, features, art. But Idk, was hoping someone had played and could say. I wonder how many people are working on it besides shafer.

4. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

I can assure you guys it's not a Civ 5 Mod. Very different in many ways, especially on the combat and economics front. It's definitely taking a while, can't deny that, just the nature of making a 4X game. Happy to answer any questions you guys might have.

- Jon

5. sherbz

sherbz Emperor

:worship:

6. civvver

civvver Deity

Jon will it ever be available through steam? Are you self publishing? Is it just you working on it?