Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

Interesting - does this effect the Civ IV project?

sourboy said:
I imagine that it would in some way... Atari is the one that paid Firaxis to develop the game. If Firaxis bought the franchise, then that's great news. If it was sold to someone else, then essentially Firaxis has a new boss with a new place to get their paychecks from. ;)

The link says that Infogrames sold it, not Atari.

sir_schwick said:
Only 15.5 million Euros?
15.5 million Euros capital gain... meaning 15.5 million more than they originally bought it for. Trying to look up and see how much that was...

Alright, found an article saying that Infogrames bought Civilization along with Hasbro for $100 million in 2000. How much of that they're assuming Civilization is worth is anyone's guess... I don't think they'd sell Civilization for 125 million dollars. ;)

sourboy said:
It'll depend on who buys it really. They could trust Firaxis to continue the work they done. Or they could demand changes changes all over the place. Obviously, that'll cost more.

Wonder if this links in with the job opportunities at firaxis? Maybe the new owners have alsorts of plans, or shorter deadlines?

Nope!

Yeah, what the hell is a 'grame' anyway?

I just hope EA didn't buy up the rights. Imagine Pepsi as a luxury resource, and Cleo wearing a bikini in the Modern Age.

to this day when i hear atari, i think of those 80s consoles, anyone else here had one of those?

those were cool :)

good to hear theyre still in bussines

this could mean bad for the Civilization Franchise!

darn what will happen now? and why did Infogrames sell the franchise?

this could mean that a new patch is possible than before:)

Crimso said:
Yeah, what the hell is a 'grame' anyway?
Infogrames is a French company. The word is pronounced "Infogram." As to what it means... who knows. A lot of people mistook the name for "Infogames" or something similar.

Jawz II said:
to this day when i hear atari, i think of those 80s consoles, anyone else here had one of those?

those were cool :)

good to hear theyre still in bussines
It's not the same company. Infogrames bought the old defunct Atari, and then since people DID associate the name with good things, changed their name. Also, the misconceptions about their name may have caused them to look in a new direction.

Blackbird_SR-71 said:
this could mean bad for the Civilization Franchise!

darn what will happen now? and why did Infogrames sell the franchise?
Because they've been hard-hit financially, and this is a good way to make some cash.

this could mean that a new patch is possible than before:)
Don't hold your breath.

Top Bottom