Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

The big questionmark is still who bought it?

We all know what might happen in case it was Electronic Arts, but even if really EA bought the Franchise, I am pretty sure that Civ 4 is already long enough underway that we can be sure that they cannot influence Civ 4 at least so much at all - it is already in development.

For Civ 5, as Trip said, things are open... but one must also think positive, we do not know if EA bought the series or someone else, and I grant EA the ability to learn from former mistkes, even if they are stupid as hell... think positive. :)

PARADOX has bought the rights!!!

Let me inform you. The franchise has been bought by PARADOX, the maker of Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Victoria and which recently bought "Diplomacy" and "Squad Leader" rights too.

icet said:

Let me inform you. The franchise has been bought by PARADOX, the maker of Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Victoria and which recently bought "Diplomacy" and "Squad Leader" rights too.

Source? Link?

icet said:

So, if the poster is correct, and Firaxis doesn't own the rights, does this mean that Firaxis and Sid Meier will still work on the game, or no?

Well, probably Firaxis anyway ;).

I'm not saying this guy is wrong, but here's three threads at 'poly where he's posted the same thing without links:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3459558#post3459558
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125820&perpage=30&pagenumber=1
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125808&perpage=30&pagenumber=4

(You'll have to scroll down [EDIT: up on the first one], sorry, I don't know how to do specific posts very well. His username is icett)

Well, without links or sources, I'm not inclined to believe what's going on.

I tried going to news.google.com and doing a search on paradox and civilization game, and didn't get any hits on it. Nor anything on www.paradoxinc.com.

Since when has Paradox socked away $23M? Their games, while good, weren't exactly hits.

Really? I normally end up having to wait for their games while they find a European publisher, despite the fact that they're Swedish. Still waiting for a Paradox game isn't too bad, it might have been patched to a playable state by the time it gets a European release :) .

MikeH said:
Still waiting for a Paradox game isn't too bad, it might have been patched to a playable state by the time it gets a European release :) .

Or, like most of their games, not.

That we do not yet know who is the purchaser seems odd. For the most obvious candidates I would expect them to want to announce right away. I have a couple of thoughts about this:

1. I think the number of people who know is quite small. If more than a few people know it would have leaked by now.

2. I think the purchaser is either a very large company or not a publicly traded company. A smaller company would have a problem holding back this information for so long - it would create an ever increasing concern about insider trading issues. So probably the purchaser is either privately held or is a company so large that this aquisition isn't an issue in that regard.

I could be all wrong here. Perhaps there is something else going on which makes it more important to stay quiet at the moment than to advertise this aquisition. If I were betting though my bet would be on the buyer being someone very large.

Grille said:
What if a hardcore CTP fan bought the rights spending his lottery jackpot?:lol:

lol, what would he do with it? Hope that someone pays him to make sequels?

Top Bottom