1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Jon Shafer, Nov 24, 2004.

1. ZXTT

ZXTT Chieftain

For that price, it might include the rights to Sid Meier, too. Perhaps his wife bought the rights so she can see him again after his work on Pirates...

2. Neomega

Neomega Deity

I believe she works there (Firaxis) as well.

3. Jon Shafer

Jon Shafer Civilization 5 Designer

Yes, Susan Meier works for Firaxis as well.

Jeff Briggs' wife also works there.

4. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Sad to say, I'd probably do this if I came into enough money. Why? So that certain features were done my way.

This isn't as unprecendented as it seems. There are certain people out there who have hired game companies to make the game they want in the past. Kind of expensive, but you get the game you want to play.

5. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Me too:
    1. Atari (or Infogrames) has not reported the sale of the Civ franchise in writing....only CFC & Reuters. If you go to www.atari.com, see if you can find any Press Releases regarding the subject!? I see that Atari has hired a new CEO....that was announced yesterday. BTW, the name "Infogrames" has not gone away!....It's still the holding company of the Atari companies! (viz. the Boss)

2. Perhaps the "verbal" announcement was a "tidbit" to keep investors happy......maybe, in reality, the "Purchaser" hasn't been announced because the "Sale" has not been finalized!.......As an investor myself (No, have not bought Civ), this seems to be the most likely scenario.

3. The controllers of Atari are French people and a French company (Infogrames)!.....Now we all know that the French sometimes do things "differently" than other Europeans (e.g. English) and the Americans. Perhaps French lurkers can "educate/enlighten" us here at CFC. (BTW, I'm an Americanized Anglo.)

4. However, SirPleb, your "batting average" is close to a 1000 at CFC, so my thoughts are shared with yours in mind! :lol:

6. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

Sure they did. It was in the Infogrames year-end financial statement. You can find this on the web easily if you look for it.

I've heard it from 'other sources' in addition to those listed.

7. Neomega

Neomega Deity

So would I. In fact, if I won the lottery, it is the only thing I would ever consider spending my money on, beside a shack to live in so I wouldn't have to pay rent anymore.... and a new computer with a giant screen.

8. Spatula

Spatula Aiya elenion ancalima!

I laugh at the stupid people who go public on winning the lottery. Now the burglars know who to steal from :)

9. SirPleb

SirPleb Shaken, not stirred.

Interesting, I wonder if that is possible. As you say the rules might be different. It sounds like a done deal. But all information so far does seem to originate from just two places: one confirmable (Infogrames website financial report note) and one unconfirmed quote.

10. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

In the USA, a "verbal tidbit" in your official year end financials that turned out not to be final could get you in deep, deep trouble with the SEC (not that it hasn't been done)

11. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

Does anyone know what Securities and Exchange is like in France?

12. Licentia

Licentia Prince

I can see the point..

13. RFHolloway

RFHolloway Analyst in the UK

The other way to approach this is to look at Firaxis Financial statements for the purchase - anyone know if they are listed?

14. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Either way, I know Firaxis is/will be working on at least CivIV...
    How do I know? :)
    (Pirates! credits)

15. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

They don't have to be as they are privately owned.

16. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Academic side-notes:
    If Firaxis were a United Kingdom company, they would have to submit financials for the public record even if privately owned, IIRC!? :)

Isn't that correct RFHolloway?

In the U.S., a company is more likely to Name the Purchaser but NOT the sales price.....BUT, Infogrames, the French company has done the opposite! :)

17. perny

perny Chieftain

Hello all,

I m french and working in a financial department of a french company, and no we don t do thing differently as in the US :)

Concerning the announce, it s written in their official report (search civilization in this link to find where it is : http://corporate.infogrames.com/download/pr/corporate/res sem o4 o5. uk.doc)

Our SEC is called Autoritee des marches financiers (AMF) and if you lie to them you ll have the same problem as if you lied to the SEC.

Another thing, if the sale was not sure (signed by both buyer and seller) they will never say for how much it has been sold.
    But the question is still pending, what company have baught the rights ?

18. sir_schwick

sir_schwick Archbishop of Towels

19. Toni1

Toni1 Warlord

considering that the information will become public sooner or later anyhow and the fact that there are not that many stupid enough people to cash the prize and bring the money home, I dont see a problem. The faster the news is out, the faster it becomes old news and is forgotten.

[back to the topic]

I dont really see a reason for Paradox to by Civilization franchise even if they were financially capable. Their own games are succesfull enough to keep the company financed for years to come. Its much better and safer for them to continue to create and use their own franchise seeing how poorly bought franchise has faired over the years (due to fan or public expectations, lack of experience in developing the game genre etc.).

Most likely candidates are other large game publishers like EA, Microsoft (god help us :cry: ) etc. that just leaves the developement to Firaxis who have the experience and the know-how to succesfully develop sequals to the game series.

20. ZXTT

ZXTT Chieftain

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say Microsoft did it to ensure that Civ IV is an Xbox 2 console exclusive (console exclusive, meaning there would still be a PC version), perhaps a launch title.

I know this is idle speculation, but consider: Xbox 2 is now expected at the end of 2005. Pirates! is coming out for Xbox. That was a lot of money to sell the rights to publish a game franchise on the PC. The Civ IV screenshots that just came out look more console-like than Civ III.