Atari Sells Civilization Franchise!

It's not.............

Nothing is CONFIRMED, but it does say "(hint: Firaxis bought the rights to Civilization from Atari for $15 million)". If Warp infers that it is true, then it likely is.

2 Points:

1. Infogrames sold the Civ Franchise for $22.3 million USD not $15M.

2. When I received an email notification on warpstorm's post it said:
"It's not. That reviewer also said that Sid didn't have much to do with Pirates."...... which implies that his Post was later edited to "It's not............."! ;)

Right, nothing is confirmed, but it would be a smart move by Firaxis since they do not have to share any profits with other companies which publish their games.

Either way, this is the most info we've gotten since the announcment that Atari sold the Franchise.

Yeah, Firaxis is my guess (See Above Posts) but it's pretty much a "Well, if you had to put your money on somebody?" guess! ;)

Yes, it's false. It even says that Sid Meier wasn't likely involved much with Pirates since he's been working on Civ 4... in fact, that's completely opposite. Sid was the lead designer for Pirates and Soren is the designer for Civ 4.

So they obviously have quite a bit of factual info wrong...

Knowing where warpstorm works, I am very willing to take his word on some of these matters. If he says Firaxis did NOT buy Civ, then, disappointed though I may be, I believe him. I do know he is not allowed to say everything he might know, or even suspect, but if he says no, then it's no.

Slax said:
How does Firing Squad know this?

That was my thought as well...
They obviously do not.

Neomega said:
Civ is, has been and always was huge. I am sure EA wouldn't mind.

Also, I just played a bit of Sim City 4... and it is a fantastic game.

I could help thinking about how the region system in it could somehow be utilized for MMOTBG.

I saw Sid said:

Sid: I definitely have my eye on the massively multiplayer, persistent world online games. I think online gaming will come on strong over the next several years. As for the future of PC and console games, we're just at the tip of the iceberg in technological advancements. Things like voice recognition, real language processing, motion sensors will push virtual reality and interactive entertainment into vast new realms.

.....so said I the same thought the same etc......

I was writing a long write up on my suspicions on the plans for Civ IV multiplayer, but then I bit my tongue and balked. Now I feel more confidence.

The price the franchise was sold for, tells me subscription expectations.

The idea of massively multiplayer Civilization seems superficially attractive but extraordinarily difficult to realize. I don't really think that Firaxis could create something that would preserve the aspects of Civilization that I value, but, I would still love to see them try. An attempt to extend the universe of strategy gaming would be a good thing, even if it is not entirely successful.

Firaxis' MMORPG efforts will probably have nothing to do with Civilization. That's just one of many games Firaxis works on. ;)

Well, this thread is about Civ and Neomega's post #174 is specifically about online multiplayer Civ. I agree with Trip that Civ is unlikely to be Firaxis's first attempt at a massively multiplayer game, but I also agree with Neomega that, especially given the thoughts that Sid expressed in the interview, it wouldn't be surprising if they hope to do something in that direction at some point in the future.

Actually, I guess I didn't bite my tongue, I just posted it elsewhere.

I said in a thread about colors;

"I am hoping they are developing a new style of multiplayer, and I believe they can do it. The price of the franchise purchase tells me they are planning a subscription service."

the...

"The price of the franchise purchase tells me they are planning a subscription service."

....is total BS of course. I don't know much about Cash transfers of €15.8 million? Euros. It doesn't necessarily mean subscription.... but I thought it may be relevant when sid said what sid said.

(man it took a long time to google unicode euro) :p

The price does not imply subscription service to me. Rather it implies that they (the new purchasers) are in it for the long haul. They want the franchise to be around as a viable money maker for many years. This makes me happy.

Top Bottom