Atomic submarines

Partiot

Chieftain
From my point of view, atomic subs are a bit out-of-date in CIVIII. In real life these ships can lay terror to any other naval units. this is because of their cruise missiles which are extremely powerful.
The "atomic sub" unit should have following characteristics to maintain better game balance:
attack power: 14
defence power: 8
speed: 4
maximum load: 1 nuclear missle, 2 cruise missiles
cost: 220

IMPORTANT: not only the atomic subs should have cruise missiles, but also battleships ( 2 slots for this purpose ), and AEGIS cruisers ( 1 slot )

It would be great if you made such a new unit like rocket cruiser/aircraft carrier with following characteristics:
attack power: 8
defence power: 8
speed: 4
max load: 2 aircrafts, 2 cruise missiles
cost: 200

I think these units are well balanced as the cruise missiles themselves cost rather much. Please, consider these small changes.

By "Atomic Subs" do you mean the "Nuclear Subs" that are already in Civ 3? If you do, this can easily be done using the editor now.

About the new unit concept.... If nothing like what you want is in Conquests, talk to the folks over in the Customization forum, I am sure that they may be able to make you something that you like, but with all their other requests and projects, it might take them a bit of time to get to it.

:band: welcome to CFC.

I disagree with the Battleships. To me these represent older WW2 technology, not modern.

Well, changing the characteristics of the subs in the Editor won't solve the problem. AI continues to use them as he did before my editing - to few and close to his own borders when these ships should be used not in supporting your carriers but in attacking enemy ships far in the ocean.

And about battleships... when I order my battleship to attack while in the Modern Era I imagine that he attacks with short-distance rockets, not with its guns ( in spite of the fact, that the screen shows me that he fires guns ). Now battleships ( or call them very heavy cruisers ) are capable of destroying other ships while its AA rockets ( no matter "Patriot" missles or "S-400" ) provide good defence from attacking aircrafts. And the cruise missles, which I want to load in my ships will stand for "Granit" and "Tomohawk" ( long-distance rockets ).

battleship should be able to carry cruise missile.
it ain't the battleship that is powerful, it is the missile :cool:
the battleship doesn't come WITH missile, they just carries them.
much like in the last gulf war.

either way, it should be expensive to maintain. that should be enough to setback civ to use aegis for carry missile instead.

A simple change that could be made that the AI would definitely understand is to give the appropriate ships a really long range bombard attack (at least 4).

A new animation could make this better.

While Iowa class Battleships were retrofitted to use Cruise Missiles, their main weapon up until they were retired remained there 16 inch gun battery. In Civ terms this should remain its attack (yes, I realize you are just suggesting adding the missile transport to it, the AI typically won't use units that have two jobs correctly).

WARPSTORM, the bad thing about your last reply is that you are right about the AI.

And the animation MUST be changed and it isn't very hard for developers but will be of great importance to many players.

By the way, have you heard something about AA cannons on ships. Will there be any and will the ships be destroyed by aircrafts?

Top Bottom