Attack is the best form of defence?

Superspank

Chieftain
We have often heard how flanking works for each unit adjacent to the target unit. Does the same apply for defence? Is there a bonus for the number of friendly units adjacent to the unit being attacked?

Also, does the support mechanic only extend to the things mentioned above, or can ranged units support from a distance as well?

Many thanks for any help,

Vol

Discipline in the Honor Social Policy bestows a promotion which gives +15% strength to an unit with an friendly unit in an adjacent tile.

Flanking works both in attack and defense, I'm not sure if it also applies when ranged units attack, but they can certainly apply to the flanking bonus given to melee units.
Is flanking available as standard or only after getting the Honor Social Policy, hm, I didn't think that you needed too.

Discipline is different that flanking. Flanking is when you surround an enemy. Discipline is when your units are in a line or host.

Flanking looks great to me because it helps strong and weak units work well together.

I can have my big powerful veteran unit on the field...and give him a 15% bonus by bringing in some cheap crappy unit next to him. Its nice!

On the strategic level I don't expect counterattacking to be as prominent on defense as heavy defensive fortifications with ranged units. In other words, waiting for your opponent to enter your territory and then striking back with horses may be part of the picture but less so than in the past - simply wearing them down at range is probably the first part of things.

It's really hard to know what the AI will do though, it could suicide units a lot. Play against humans could develop differently.

Discipline is different that flanking. Flanking is when you surround an enemy. Discipline is when your units are in a line or host.

Yes I know, but Flanking as the game concept, is that you get a 15% bonus for each adjacent friendly unit (up to 30%).

If you want to try and apply this bonus to an actual flanking concept, then perhaps think of it instead of Flanking as anti-flanking, these adjacent units covering your flanks, provide you the bonus of not being flanked by enemies and as such the battle more into your favour.

As for true flanking, i.e gaining a flanking bonus from attacking an enemy from its flank or from behind, I believe this was the flanking mechanic on the E3 build, I could show you the screen shot to prove it but I have a film to watch, but this I guess was changed into the first mentioned flanking mechanic for balance reasons, maybe it was a bit hard to actually navigate about and flank properly on a board like Civ's. Not to mention how the AI would handle it.

So as I say, think of the games flanking mechanic as an anti-flanking (preventing flanking) mechanic if you want it to make sense, but in game its called flanking.

So we can conclude that flanking only works in attack (save for in the sense that adjacent units prevent you being attacked), but discipline works in defence and attack?

So we can conclude that flanking only works in attack (save for in the sense that adjacent units prevent you being attacked), but discipline works in defence and attack?

No, I don't think we can conclude that. If your unit is surrounded by mine, and it attacks one of mine, then I believe that I get the flanking bonus even though you initiated the combat.

We'll know in 24 hours.

Yes I know, but Flanking as the game concept, is that you get a 15% bonus for each adjacent friendly unit (up to 30%).

If you want to try and apply this bonus to an actual flanking concept, then perhaps think of it instead of Flanking as anti-flanking, these adjacent units covering your flanks, provide you the bonus of not being flanked by enemies and as such the battle more into your favour.

As for true flanking, i.e gaining a flanking bonus from attacking an enemy from its flank or from behind, I believe this was the flanking mechanic on the E3 build, I could show you the screen shot to prove it but I have a film to watch, but this I guess was changed into the first mentioned flanking mechanic for balance reasons, maybe it was a bit hard to actually navigate about and flank properly on a board like Civ's. Not to mention how the AI would handle it.

So as I say, think of the games flanking mechanic as an anti-flanking (preventing flanking) mechanic if you want it to make sense, but in game its called flanking.

I thought defensive flanking worked exactly the same as offensive flanking. So it is friendly units that are adjacent to the attacker that confer the bonus, not those adjacent to yourself (the defender).

Pretty sure (from memory) this is how it's described in that gameplay video where they're attacking Nottingham...

Terrain looks loads more important, both on a tactical level (hills and forrest, flanking) but also on a strategic level (choke points, sight range) due to the radical changes to combat/unit stacking and ranged attacks.

Actually, I stand corrected. The Giant death robot fights a tank in the walkthrough, though the cursor hovers over a potential target, mechanised infantry, that receives a flanking bonus. However, the tank that is destroyed by the mechanised infantry does not... When someone has a conclusive answer, any response would be welcomed...

In previous series it was a good tactic , when possible of course , to annihilate an enemy on early stages, when such enemy clearly could have became powerful later on due to weak neighborhoods or due to huge terrain.

Top Bottom