1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Attack under mutual protection...

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by dirtworm, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

so I made a protection pact with two of my neighbors to keep them from trying to push me over while i was waging war against the mongols....the dutch and portugal. portugal after a few turns decides to ask about a trade for my advanced flight tech...i decide to trade it tot them for quite a bit of stuff. turn after that they attack me. was i incorrect to think that under mutual protection you can not wage war against the other?

2. ZzarkLinux

ZzarkLinux Engineering Programmer

A MPP only has peace treaty / right-of-passage strength, so yes you can declare war on a MPP ally.

The "Locked-alliance" from scenarios prevents MPP partners from declaring war on each other.

Sometimes, you just can't stop an AI from declaring on you. When they sail a boatload of 1-unit all the way across the world, and land next to your city, they're no stopping the war horn.
    However, you can easily abuse this to your advantage. Just offer them Gold-Per-Turn or Lux-Per-Turn things in exchange for hard-cash or techs. The AI will still declare, thus ending your per-turn payments...

EDIT:
    Wasn't this different in Civ2?

3. dirtworm

dirtworm Warlord

upon spending some time trying to figure this out...i see that i did not even have a peace treaty with them, heh. ah well, looks like i am going to have to hold the troops back...
    and yeah, in civ 2 i am pretty sure that you were unable to attack and had to cancel it through diplomacy, and i am pretty sure that the cpu did not have to follow that rule...

4. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I cannot remember that far back to Civ2, but a peace treat would not mean they could not DOW. The best way to prevent an attack is to be consider strong.

This is not a sure thing, but it is your best bet. Always be careful about trading techs. I do not like to trade war techs, unless they are very weak or very far away. They just may use them on me.

5. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Interesting, a high level player that is not totally enamored with tech trading.

6. darski

darski Regent in Training

That isn't quite correct. vxma is in favour of Smart tech trading. I am not a high level player but even I am careful about what I teach a nasty Civ that is nearby.

7. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

I kind of think like that, but to me all the other Civs are nasty & sooner or later they will all be nearby.

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

Yes I will trade, presuming I am allowed to in the game, but with care. Not going to trade MT, unless they are not too far from getting it, under most circumstances. Of course I may not have anything to trade anyway.

9. darski

darski Regent in Training

Well yeah!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

10. DWetzel

DWetzel Emperor

I prefer to think of it this way:

In a standard game with 7 opponents, every time I trade, I improve my position on six of them.

11. Death_Machine

Death_Machine Slaytanic Warrior

Not really, because once you trade it to one the AI will trade amongst themselves. If you trade it to one then you might as well trade it to all & maximize your gains.