Attacking Aliens when exploring the Fog of War

Mercade

the Counsellor
While exploring the Fog of War, it happened twice to me now that when you put a go-to command a few fields onto the FOW it causes to attack an alien that just happens to be lurking on the tile that you're going to. Instead, it should wait one tile before the imminent attack and wait for you to either go around the alien or to attack it deliberately. I believe Civ5 naval auto-stops rather than auto-attacking. Having to go field-by-field to avoid this is tedious.

You should go tile by tile when exploring anyway, since landing within two tiles of a nest will result in auto-attack by nearby aliens.

I was going to post this as a separate thread but it's a related what-I-feel-is-a-bug:

If you put your explorer on auto-explore mode it will attack aliens too. Surely that is not right? It makes the automation of the unit pretty worthless.

Also, with the 2 tiles from a nest auto attack thing: does this happen even if you have that first level perk that says your explorer won't be attacked by aliens?

I've got my explorers on auto in the mid-game and have not experienced them attacking aliens. Also, in single player, if you do not clear the "Are you sure you want to make this attack?" advice popup, it will stop your explorers from attacking when you do the 2-tile move.

I've got my explorers on auto in the mid-game and have not experienced them attacking aliens. Also, in single player, if you do not clear the "Are you sure you want to make this attack?" advice popup, it will stop your explorers from attacking when you do the 2-tile move.

Have you uncovered much of the map though? I would guess that the explorers attacking aliens when on auto is related to moving into the fog of war.

While exploring the Fog of War, it happened twice to me now that when you put a go-to command a few fields onto the FOW it causes to attack an alien that just happens to be lurking on the tile that you're going to. Instead, it should wait one tile before the imminent attack and wait for you to either go around the alien or to attack it deliberately. I believe Civ5 naval auto-stops rather than auto-attacking. Having to go field-by-field to avoid this is tedious.

I can confirm this. Very annoying. Going tile-by-tile is not a "solution" either.

Why is this marked NOT A BUG? It most definitely IS a bug! This never occurred in Civ 4 or Civ 5. Units would auto stop if there was another unit at your destination blocked by FOW.

It did occur in Civ V -- one of many reasons why auto-explore was rarely the best plan in Civ V.

It did occur in Civ V -- one of many reasons why auto-explore was rarely the best plan in Civ V.

Yes that was bad by itself, but here it happens even when you are exploring manually.

Fortunately there is still the message that warns you when you are ordering units to attack something way stronger than them, so my explorers were often "saved" by that.

Top Bottom