Attacking without moving into their square?

Melinder

Cat Petter
How can I kill a unit standing right beside me without having my victorious attacker then automatically move into the (usually ****tier) square the killed unit occupied? In Civ2 this was what happened when you attacked using the mouse, but you could use the numberpad to attack without advancing. Now even that makes me move forward, usually into unsafe territory.

Are other people getting this result? Is there an option somewhere I'm missing to turn it off and enable attack without advancing? Sure would save my poor attacking units from being slaughtered so often. I mean c'mon, I want to attack and not face the consequences!:crazyeyes

No, this is a feature! If you attack and the unit you kill was the last in the square, you will advance into that square. This exposes you to attack by the enemy on the next turn.

One nice thing is that the enemy can't sit inside his city and kill your units with impunity. There is a chance that he will kill the last unit in the square and leave the city undefended!

The way you can avoid this is to use units that can move after the attack, like cavalry.

I love how almost all the changes in this game make sense in the real world. For instance, you can't move your catapults over hills and mountains unless there is a road. Attacking might expose you to counter-attack, like if you charge and don't protect your flank. Marketplaces increase the potency of luxeries...how else do you distribute luxeries to your population?

Top Bottom