1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

attacks on Christians' on Easter Sunday in Sri Lanka

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abradley, Apr 21, 2019.

1. abradley

abradley Chieftain

"Suicide bombers kill more than 156 people and hurt 400 in 'targeted attack on Christians' on Easter Sunday in Sri Lanka: Americans, British and Dutch among the dead in six blasts at churches and five-star hotels
    • Six near-simultaneous explosions hit hotels and churches in Sri Lanka this morning, killing at least 156 people
    • More than 500 people were said to have been injured and 35 foreigners are reported to be among the dead
    • Two of the Easter Sunday blasts are suspected to have been carried out by suicide bombers, an official said
    • *Did you witness the explosions in Sri Lanka? Email henry.martin@mailonline.co.uk*
    By Henry Martin For Mailonline and Afp

Published: 06:32 BST, 21 April 2019 | Updated: 09:19 BST, 21 April 2019
    Continued
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...urt-blasts-hit-Sri-Lanka-churches-hotels.html "

Was hoping for a peaceful Easter, but ...

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

RIP.
    Hm, did this come out of nowhere? I haven't been following the state of things in Sri-Lanka.

3. abradley

abradley Chieftain

There'a bit about Catholics being a bridging between Tamils and Sinhalese, aiding in peace and terrorists struck.

4. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

IDK about specifics.
    Sri Lanka has a long history of civil war and terrorism.
    Besides the low cohesion between ethnic tribes and religions.. and a low treshold to violence...
    It could be that one of the simple factors behind it is the dwindling influence of the western culture in this area and on this island. The two main powers that have increasing influence on Sri Lanka are India and China.
    Western tourists, hotels, western churches all symbols and manifestations of a non-Sri Lankan, non-Asian culture, belonging to a past suppression and money extraction.

I do not think that lightly suggesting up to profiling in the western newsmedia that this is an attack on Christendom will be very helpfull in solving the Sri Lanka issues, and future violence.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    haroon and Kyriakos like this.
  5. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Not surprised. I expected something like this would happen somewhere,.

It might be local, but

I suspect it probably came out of the New Zealand atrocity.

Tit for Tat; we can murder more of your religion than you can of ours, thinking

6. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I disagree. Its just another islamist attack, authorities seized weapons and explosives from islamist radical group, attack seems to be religiously motivated. This may happen everywhere.

GenMarshall likes this.
  7. Kyriakos

Yes, apparently Sri-Lanka has very specific dynamics, and it is not very likely (?) this has much to do with isis or even western view of islam.
    As i said, i know next to nothing about the country.

El_Machinae, Hrothbern and haroon like this.
  8. Colon

Colon Chieftain

Terror attacks by Tamil separatists were mostly non-religious in nature. Aside of being Hindu, Tamils are also Christian to a larger extent than is the case with the general population of Sri Lanka. It doesn't make much sense they'd attack Christian targets instead of Buddhist, the dominant religion of the Sinhalese majority
    Aside of Islamists, other possible culprits are Buddhist chauvinists. They don't have much of a history of terrorist attacks like this but they're otherwise the group that commits most religious violence (towards Muslims) in Sri Lanka.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    El_Machinae likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

10. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

According to the Sri Lankan census of 2011, or rather Wikipedia's article that cites it, the religious breakdown in Sri Lanka was:

Buddhism 70.2%
    Hinduism 12.6%
    Islam 9.7%
    Christianity 7.4%
    Other/None 0.1%

There are more Muslims and Christians than I had thought there were, and fewer Hindus - I imagined the country to be split roughly 3-1 between a Buddhist (mostly Sinhalese) majority and a Hindu (mostly Tamil) minority. Apparently Islam arrived early on with Arab traders and a significant number of their descendants settled along the east coast. A small group of Nestorian Christians had arrived by the 6th century, although Christianity didn't become widespread until the Portuguese and Dutch, and later British, showed up with their missionaries.

It's a very diverse country, more so than I had originally appreciated. I don't know anything about relations between Sri Lankan Muslims and Christians, but it certainly sounds from the current sketchy news reports that radicalized members of the Muslim minority decided to attack the Christian minority. Not sure if there are major tensions between these groups as a whole, or if it was simply a little splinter group of jihadists that has little connection with any broader religious or ethnic tension.

El_Machinae likes this.
  11. r16

r16 not deity

sri Lanka is far away , a country of Browns where even the Christians are Brown with no economy to speak off . In the Turkish context the Tamil Tigers were a huge example for he seperatists who like unfortunately had no Elephant Pass to ambush Army and stuff ; their total defeat was a big thing back when it happened , with total denial . But again , as said it's just 100% Brown and they have been warned a full 10 days ago that there might have been attacks and either one wing of the Goverment wants to implicate the other with ineptitude or they just couldn't believe it could have happened , with the distance involved . The only problem is how Iran can be blamed for this ... ı fare high above in heavens , between the stars , and ı lack an idea on the thing !

12. Modder_Mode

Modder_Mode Chieftain

Not much interest in this one as was to be expected, Christchurch thread on here 37 pages consisting of 724 posts.

I guess there's only so much signaling of the virtue you can do when attacks like this happen. I wonder if anyone who pledged money to Notre Dame can divert some funds to help the victims of this attack?

El_Machinae likes this.
  13. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

It's true that the majority of the forum members belong to the Western cultural sphere, so it's rather natural, though depressing, that we care more about something happening in New Zealand than in Sri Lanka.

Though I'd wager there's also another important point here:

Christchurch was more «familiar» and controversial because it directly involved the use of social media, touched on gun control, and even that some people find it harder to condemn white «nativist» terrorists. Controversy leads to lots to talk about.

In this case everyone agrees that the terrorists responsible for this are awful, so there's not much to talk about.

Furthermore, the Sri Lankan government seems to be handling it, have made arrests, and claims to know who's responsible. We could sit here and speculate on the same, but most of us has nothing to go on, except assuming that it's radicalized Muslims, and talking about what little we know of internal Sri Lankan politics. Which some posters already have attempted.

14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

All seems rather too well organised and resourced for a native Sri Lankan Hindu faction.

According to the BBC, the latest report indicates foreign involvement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48012085

From there:

15. Patine

Patine Warlord

Now that's a lack of education, perspective, and understanding and succumbing to bad stereotypes and myths directly comparable to the worst the most backwater rural White Supremacist Imperialist U.S. group would espouse. The world would be better off without BOTH your ilk's staining it and it's people with your myopic, half-blind trash rhetoric.

Moderator Action: An impressive display of trash talk, but let's remember to address the poster's argument, not attack the poster him/herself. Doing it this way fosters nothing but ill will and infractions. Need I say more? --LM

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Good morning Derp. Sleep well?

17. Patine

Patine Warlord

The phrase "virtue signalling" implies an accurate and unerring knowledge of the true intentions, motives, and feelings of everyone it's used toward. Since the number of long-range telepaths and telegnostics to make this a realistic, plausible concept obviously don't exist (or many other, much more profound and drastic social changes would also be very evident), I can only conclude that the term "virtue signalling" is no more than a bunk, empty, incendiary, vitriolic term of flailing, blind social attacks, rhetorical desperation, and pure nonsense.

18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Heck it was splashed over the front page of all the newspapers where I live. No different than any domestic terrorist event. Maybe there were fewer people online here over Easter.

Lexicus likes this.
  19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Identifying virtue signaling does not require unerring knowledge or superpowers. Simple observed inconsistencies related to the virtue being signaled will suffice.

Modder_Mode likes this.
  20. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

There is a notable rhetoric difference. We are not surprised that events like Christchurch happen, it's the law of large numbers.

But if a propaganda is capable of convincing small groups of people to kill themselves in order to commit atrocities, you know that it is a more pernicious and evil set of beliefs. Built upon a different Rock.

Modder_Mode likes this.