1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

August 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Aug 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

Hmm. Am I understanding right that the palace already has this +1 amenity? If so, then high food starts with no first tier luxury are going to find it harder to rush Early Empire

hhhhhh likes this.
  2. FedorWin

FedorWin Chieftain

Looking at the list of economic city-states https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_city-states_in_Civ6
    Most of them were either introduced in a DLC or are replacing something introduced in a DLC. I believe, It would make little sense to replace one of those with Venice. Not impossible, but less sensible.
    The only two left are Lisbon and Zanzibar. Not only Portugal is in high demand, Lisbon’s current bonus (traders can’t be plundered on water) makes a lot of sense for Venice thematically. A lot more than giving cinnamon and clover, I think.
    So in my eyes, Venice being revealed screams “Portugal is in!”

another possibility that it’s a leak from November patch when new CSs will be introduced, but doubt that. They even talked about playing the same savefile before the stream.

Banazir864, jddods, Atlas627 and 4 others like this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

And all the civs with Amenity bonuses. Think of the Aztecs now.

oedali, Morningcalm, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  4. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

Venice CS palace.
    Looks like a Roman palace style.

oedali, Hawke9, Kjimmet and 6 others like this.
  5. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Yeah, that plus finding and hooking up luxuries early is going to be critical. Right now, you can basically get away with going wide early due to the free pop, but now, basically as soon as that second city goes down, you're going to be in the red if you don't have a luxury hooked up.

Now, is it going to be enough to try to build an EC as one of my first 5-6 districts? Hard to say. But it will certainly push it sooner, given that right now half the time I don't even build any until zoos come online.

6. tedhebert

tedhebert Emperor

It DOES use a brand new city Icon... What happened that last times they replaced a CS with another one ? Did they leave the old icon in use with the new CS name, or did they create new ones too ?

I'm loving the Amenities changes. Don't know if it will be enough to get me to build EC, which I never ever build, but I hope it does make it more appealing to do so !

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  7. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Sorry can you say a bit more about this? I don't know what to get from this picture.

8. Haig

Haig Deity

Next DLC includes a new map, and there is already a map for Europe so I think Portugal is not coming with DLC#3.

My money is on middle-east map with Byzantine and another civ that is not Babylon(which was still a city-state) so could be Assyria or maybe even Palmyra.

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  9. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

I like the buffs to the Entertainment complex, but the fact it still only provides 1 amenity, and a second with the arena, to the city its built in means its still very weak for amenity generation. Imo, give it a buff in that regard, like +1 extra amenity for each adjacent luxury for the base, and the arena can duplicate it.

agonistes, hhhhhh and Myomoto like this.
  10. Myomoto

Myomoto King

It gives +1 appeal on adjacent tiles as well. But in general I would really like to see it get a buff.

hhhhhh likes this.
  11. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

Which is good for maybe culture games? Or if you're Australia/BM Teddy.

Otherwise though, the best reasons to make the amenity district rn isn't amenities

12. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

IMHO the "new map" can also means "new map scripts".

Hawke9 and nzcamel like this.
  13. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Second this. I thought it's a nerf to Scotland since they need +5 rather than +3, on the basis of no free amenities from the beginning? Or there are other positive indirect effects that I'm not aware of.

14. hhhhhh

hhhhhh Prince

Well to be fair Golf Course did get a buff but it's not enough.

15. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Emperor

It shows Venice CS palace.

16. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm surprised the amenity changes weren't mentioned in the update video. They seem like a much bigger deal than the natural wonder selector or the government plaza changes.

The removal of the free amenity is definitely a good choice. I don't know why that mechanic existed to begin with, and I've already been playing with a mod that removes it. This will make early game expansion trade-offs a bit more interesting, though if penalties haven't increased too much I think it's still be worth getting cities settled even if they'll have slight happiness issues. I don't think this alone will make entertainment complexes significantly more attractive in the early game: building a full district and building for two amenities just isn't a good trade-off.

Of course, this calculus is subject to change if the updated penalties make reduced happiness substantially more punishing. More incentive to care about amenities would certainly be welcome. In the current game, they're pretty easy to ignore. In Civ V, as a point of contrast, your civilization essentially stopped growing when you hit negative happiness. That would probably be too much (especially since the effect was global in V), but there's a lot of middle ground between that and a 5% yield penalty.

The change to the revolt threshold, on the other hand, seems kind of random. After over 1000 hours in game, I still wouldn't know about this mechanic without reading about it, so I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind making it harder to reach.

nzcamel, Kjimmet, Meluhhan and 4 others like this.
  17. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

One thing that perhaps no one has mentioned is that, with the change in amenities, cities will tend to lose more loyalty now and often AI is not able to deal loyalty/city placement on the map very well, so we will see a lot of free cities now.

18. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

The new map might also be a map script, instead of a real world map.

19. Ticio

Ticio Prince

Maybe I'm looking too far but the changes on amenities are shouting Portugal all over the place.

I mean, now luxury ressources are more important than ever... I wonder if we could expect a new civ famous for his trade with luxury ressources over the world? mmmm

Now the theory about feitorias being able to extract or copy luxury ressources make more sense.

WillowBrook, nzcamel and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

But mostly it'll excite people who have already bought the game/pass already. It's not a fancy new feature as far as that goes.

Noble Zarkon and 8housesofelixir like this.