August 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.
unlocking as the stream is an hour out

Good to see the hidden tech/civic trees in action as I can't figure out what they are like to play with.

Let's hope for a hint for next DLC!

it has gone live

Pottery, Mining, & Animal Husbandry techs; and Code of Laws civic are always first.

Random tech & civic trees are the same for all players.

Shout out to @pokiehl 's mod. :lol:

AI is coded so it doesn't have any foreknowledge of the trees.

Last edited:
Pottery, Mining, & Animal Husbandry techs; and Code of Laws civic are always first.
it works like that with the current code IIRC (I mean when you try to mod random tech tree), you need some tech/civic without any prerequisite before the engine can define the others with random prerequisites.

Random tech & civic trees are the same for all players.
too bad, that would have opened interesting things for modding (even without random techs/civics)

The idea is good, but has we said in the NFP thread, this still looks like a very small patch.

Government plaza changes

- Foreign ministry gives 3 diplomatic favor/turn as well.
- Grand Masters Chapel now also gives +5 faith/turn

Amenities changed -
-8 amenities = revolt.
+5 amenities = ecstatic.

Cities do not give free amenity anymore, Palace gives 1 amenity instead.
Golf courses increase amenities by 1 now.
Theater Square now has major adj. bonus with Entertainment Complex/Water Park.

Amenities update

- Revolt is now at -8 or less
- Ecstatic is at +5 of more

Negative penalties are harsher (but revolt isn't as harsh)
Free amenities for city are gone.Palace gives 1.
Golf course now gives 2 amenities.

Theater square gains major adj from entertainment district/water park

the AI doesn't know the "hidden" techs either.
Well, does it know the normal tech tree ?

I thought it was already choosing between the next available ones based on weighting (depending of it's global strategy, agenda, etc...), and not targeting a specific tech further in the tree.

I can be wrong, and I don't remember how it was in civ5 code.

Theater Squares now get major adjacency from Entertainment Complexes and Water Parks - this is a pretty great change I think. In combination with amenity changes, it should make Entertainment Complexes more valuable early-game. I only ever build an Entertainment Complex if I'm wanting to go for the Colosseum.

Theater Squares now get major adjacency from Entertainment Complexes and Water Parks - this is a pretty great change I think. In combination with amenity changes, it should make Entertainment Complexes more valuable early-game. I only ever build an Entertainment Complex if I'm wanting to go for the Colosseum.

That and no free amenities on founding actually makes entertainment squares close to okay? Though tbh, they need to buff arena slightly, like gives an extra amenity for each improved luxury resource in the city or something.

Re: GP changes

I like the foreign ministry change. Previously even if I was going diplo or suzerain over lots of city states I would ignore FM, but this makes it a great choice now. Pretty disappointing that they completely looked over the Audience Chamber as that was the most requested for a buff. Instead we get a pointless +5 faith for Grandmaster's Chapel. Um, thanks? If I'm running GC, I'm going to have a ton of holy sites everywhere so a measly +5 faith isn't anything.

-8 amenities seems a bit much, I don't think I've ever seen a city with -8 amenities. If anything, they should made it easier for cities to revolt, not harder, IMO

Remember, cities do not get 1 free amenity any more, that is a quite big change.

That and no free amenities on founding actually makes entertainment squares close to okay? Though tbh, they need to buff arena slightly, like gives an extra amenity for each improved luxury resource in the city or something.

Maybe have it give some bonus to trained units?

I am really loving the idea of a major adjacency bonus for theatre squares from entertainment districs, super good change.

Top Bottom