August 2020 Update - Patch Notes Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Aug 27, 2020.

1. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

It just makes me want evil EA to loosen their stingy grip on Alpha Centauri rights even more, so the team can do it properly. Talk about trepidation and staring into the fog, haha, that's everything in AC.

2. Daigotsu Max

Daigotsu Max Warlord

I'm hoping the mixed tech/civics trees will also make AI behaviour less predictable, in terms of always rushing to the same units for example.

3. Aa602213x1023

Aa602213x1023 Chieftain

Is the Natural Wonder Picker not working for anyone else? In the Advanced Game Setup, there is an option called "Select Natural Wonders," but it is currently set to "Nothing" and I cannot change it. The background is grayed out and I cannot select the arrow to open what I assume is a drop-down menu with more options.

agonistes likes this.
  4. JesseS

JesseS Warlord

Here's a table breaking down the changes by each amenity level. Effectively, amenities are shifted down by 1 threshold with no free amenity for the first 2 population. I have shifted the table to create an easy comparison accounting for this change alongside the other changes to amenity yields. Positive amenities are less worthwhile and harder to get bonuses from, but negative amenities in the range of -2 to -5 (equivalent to the prior -1 to -4) are more punishing.

amenities-table.PNG

These changes are a good tweak and should address many of my complaints around AI policy and government choices. Hopefully we will see less civil prestige and fascism and more democracy and rationalism.

The government plaza building changes are disappointing. Grandmaster's Chapel was already good and +5 faith is a pretty minor bonus by the time it's available. +3 diplo favor from the Foreign Ministry isn't bad (equivalent to +18-39 gpt depending on how much AIs value it) but it's pretty bland. I would rather see something like Hungary's ability added, like gain 1 envoy when levying. And it's surprising to see Audience Chamber go without a modest buff.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  5. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

Am i reading this wrong or has ecstatic been buffed to +30%?

6. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Do you have Suk's Civ Selection Screen mod? If so, disable it.

Hawke9, Noble Zarkon, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  7. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Nope. I think it's just some people, me included, wish that Ecstatic should be buffed to +30%.

cylenalag and Myomoto like this.
  8. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I think this is because they are attempting to play to a very broad base of users. I.e. I would love it if lower amenities caused revolts more easily instead of just slowing down your empire, but it might cause a lot of people on say Chieftan to flip out.

Why they don't manage this by customizing difficulty level bonus/malus more, I don't know.

9. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

Womp, got hopeful.

I hope they continue on some amenity changes, they're like halfway there. They just need that ecstatic boost, make arenas/ent complexes better. Maybe add something to entertainment district buildings so that they each give +2.5% of all yields if city is happy, and 5% if ecstatic.

Pietato and 8housesofelixir like this.
  10. JJOne

JJOne Prince

Do I understand correctly, if you get the boost you still get to see where the tech is?

Only took like... how many years??

Myomoto likes this.
  11. Aa602213x1023

Aa602213x1023 Chieftain

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have that particular mod, but I disabled the mods I do have, and the new Natural Wonder feature is now working.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I'm not sure I see the point of removing the free Amenity for each city if the minimum Happiness thresholds are also reduced by one.

13. Datgingah

Datgingah Warlord

I was watching thegamemechanics stream. Per Carl, you're still going to be required to pick all promotions for apostles, I think there was a bug in it, but don't expect the intended part to be gone.

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  14. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

Could it be that there is a bug in the randomized civics tree? The information about what I can research next is different in the main window in the upper left corner and in the "tree view" on the other hand. (Sorry for complicated description, English is not my native language.)

15. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Does the Natural Wonder picker work for anyone else? For me the option is there but it's inactive, and the tooltip says something that seems unrelated to natural wonders.

nat_wonder_picker.jpg

16. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

It sounds like the random tech and civics is actually a pretty consequential change. Can't wait to try it tonight.

nzcamel likes this.
  17. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Are you able to select a tech from the upper left corner that isn't available in the tree view? That would be fun...

Look up a few posts. Some mods are conflicting with the new wonder picker.

nzcamel, AntSou and 8housesofelixir like this.
  18. AntSou

AntSou Deity

You're reading it wrong. That's why I asked people to ignore the After table :p. Those are the changes I had made in a previous mod.
    ---

Play close attention to your tree, it's not always what it seems:

In this case the Unrevealed tech needs State Workforce and Foreign Trade needed only Craftsmanship. Yet that's not what it looks like.

borad, nzcamel and SammyKhalifa like this.
  19. KayAU

KayAU King

I like the amenity and Theatre Square changes, and will check out the tech tree randomizer at some point. It seems like a good patch, but not enough to pull me away from my current game of (the sadly underrated) Beyond Earth.

20. AntSou

AntSou Deity

You seem to be using a mod.