1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

August Patch (1.0.1.383) is out!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by _hero_, Aug 10, 2011.

1. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?112752-quot-August-quot-Patch-Notes

2. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Chieftain

heeeeyyyy

3. trueblue

trueblue Chieftain

meh

it looks half assed to me.

4. Derrick CB

Derrick CB Chieftain

Same here. Meh.

5. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

Looks to me like the type of patch a company does when they've refocused on other projects. Whether that's an expansion, CivWorld, or a new game, who knows.

Not a very big patch but I like all the changes. Can't really complain or disagree with anything in it.

6. TopGearFanatic

TopGearFanatic Duke of St. Louis

Nothing too exciting.

7. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Chieftain

Glad to see MP improvements

:goodjob:

8. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Interesting... MPers should be happy (I guess). I just wish they would make it so that you could play mods in Hot Seat. It can greatly help in testing mods/maps/scenarios. Also, there are mods that I just can't play without (City-State Diplomacy mod... anyone)!

My only question is, why does Firaxis hate Navies?

9. Derrick CB

Derrick CB Chieftain

Hiding how useless the AI are with them and therefore why there is no point building them.

10. Ceterius

Ceterius Chieftain

Will it now be worth it to open with Tradition instead of Liberty?

11. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

That helps a little. I still don't see why anyone going wide would skip Liberty and why anyone going tall would skip Tradition.

12. cccv

cccv Chieftain

Did you notice the change made to seaports? They took the production boost from harbors and gave it to seaports, they didn't do away with it.

I'm over patches that focus so much on balance now-- at this point you should have made the game what you want it to be. So I support patches that are less about game-changing stuff and more about fixing issues like multiplayer and AI oddness. Wouldn't hurt to do more work on city states and perhaps diplo, but as far as diplo goes, I'm still kinda sick of having a different game every few months. The game should be out of beta by now.

13. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

For me... Honor all the way! Then maybe Liberty!

Yeah, they took from one and put it in another. Other types, like mounted, get XP bonuses as early as Ancient period. Now, you have to wait even longer to "power-up" your navy! Personally, I don't care whether AI knows how to use it. Maybe it would if your Navy could actually be something useful!

Game-balance is a never ending job. When Civ V is finally "out of BETA" Civ IV will be getting released ...if T2 doesn't decide to change the Civilization franchise into a FPS, that is!

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Chieftain

I don't play WoW, but aren't they still balancing that years later? Seems like they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't.

15. vexing

vexing knows

this is exactly the type of patch i'm looking for - not completely huge untested changes but small tweaks and bug fixes.

glad they made the completely worthless landed elite into a freebie with aristocracy.

the new landed elite is interesting. with that and the new wonder i guess tenochtitlan will now be able to get up to +80% excess food

the harbor / seaport adjustments are positive, seaport is worth building now. there are a couple old threads about the seaport but i won't dig them up, i'll just say i told you so here =p

they pyramids boost seems unnecessary, the worker speed + one worker was enough.

the brandenburg gate is interesting as well, units can start with 3 promotions without the total war policy.

16. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

WoW adds a lot more content in each of their patches then Civ. A lot of new content=new things to constantly rebalance. If Civ came with a $15 a month subscription fee, I'd hope they added a lot more content to the point where they had to rebalance constantly too.

Frankly, I often skip Pyramids but this won't change that. I never have a problem of not enough workers and sometimes find myself disbanding workers in the late B.C.s to save GPT, depending on how many I've managed to capture from Barbs/conquest.

Love the Brandenburg Gate change. I might actually build it now.

17. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

Whaaaaaaaaaat?

Under certain conditions.

Honestly, Tradition scales better if you go wide due to the finisher. Liberty quick starts you and solves some mid-game :c5happy: problems with the GE, but otherwise isn't huge for a wide game unless you're gunning for 30 SPs.

It's the Wonder we never build, so something did need to change. I'm not sure that's the way to do it, though. The opportunity cost on early Worker turns lost while you plow :c5production: into big stone tombs (instead of building the Workers) is enormous. Delaying hooking up luxuries and strategics while the AIs have cash is rarely a good thing.

Give the Pyramids another GE point and I bet people start building it.

18. _hero_

_hero_ Chieftain

Growth is never a problem for me when I go wide. My growth in wide games is never limited by food, but by happiness. The boosts of the Tradition finisher get a huge slash when you're in unhappiness.

19. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

It's great to see more improvements to the tactical AI. I feel that and the diplomatic AI are two areas which need the most focus. :)

20. vexing

vexing knows

i don't know what the right move is, but i do know it isn't two workers. i'm not convinced all wonders have to be worth building.