[NFP] August Update Video Thread

The natural wonder picker is cool. But I feel like folks have been clamoring stronger for that exact thing (an include/exclude list for randomization) for Civ opponents (in both AI and MP), so I'm surprised that they didn't do that as well.

Me thinks the Natural Wonders was a test for it, and we will see it implemented for Civs and City States eventually.

It does seem like if you get the eureka then the position of the tech is revealed to you. So eurekas are more important in this mode.

Also it's mentioned that costs are randomized (2:01). I wonder what that means.

Future Era things don't cost the same every game, they flactuate between each games. So I think this is what it means, it also means that Tier 2 of an era might cost less and be Tier 1 instead (like we saw with the Recorded History being a prerequitste for Political Philosophy while in actuality these are swapped as being Tier 2 and Tier 1 respectively).

How the Eureka! and the Inspiration will work with the shuffled Technology and Civic Trees? Since we are not supposed to know where they are in the trees. Would we end up with:
  1. Completed Eureka! / Inspiration are shown to the player, but do not allow to locate them on the coresponding Technology / Civic tree until they are researchable.
  2. Completed Eureka! / Inspiration are shown to the player, and you get to know where it is on the coresponding Technology / Civic tree even if not researchable.
  3. Eureka! / Inspiration are not able to be completed if you don't know where the coresponding Technology / Civic are.
I hope it is the first option. The second option kind of defeat the whole purpose of a shuffled tree if you can bypass the system like this. The third option is really harsh but I suppose it is better than the second one: I guess it allows to level the game with more casual people that do not memorize all the Eureka! / Inspiration (even if a more experienced player can prepare in advance and complete the task when avalaible).

I wonder how they will change the Government Plaza. Maybe it is only a balance change and we get a better Audience Chamber (get ride of -2 Loyalty, plus maybe getting back at 4 Housing?) or the National History Museum (adding a theme? all slot wonders should have a theme of some sort)

It seems like since Writing is in late Ancient Era in this game then it is more expensive than what it normally would be.

Everyone hating on the Bermuda Triangle, but I've only seen it two times and never saw it within working range of tiles.

I think I'll stack the odds in FAVOR of the Triangle so I can have at least one unbalanced broken "ha ha I get 10 science tiles on turn 5" game, just for fun...

Hopefully the developers of Terra Mirabilis integrate with the selector, because I really like the balance changes/new wonders that mod makes. None of the wonders are total crap anymore (although Cliffs are still on the weaker side!)

tweaks to Government Plaza effects

I will be a Sad Panda if Ancestral Hall production bonus for Settler starts applying to all Cities, not just the City where you build the AH.

I will be a happy Panda if the Gov Plaza gets aligned with the Diplo Quarter more.

I was hoping we might get a few new disasters this patch, particularly Earthquakes. Guess not.

It does seem like if you get the eureka then the position of the tech is revealed to you.

That will be awesome. Or maybe terrible. I can’t work out which.

Maybe awesome. If you want Political Philosophy, you’ll work to trigger its Eureka, then make your way to that Civic if you can (might be far away, might not have revealed all the techs in between so you’re flying blind). But man, I get a lot of those Eurekas most games, so I may end up seeing most of the tech tree pretty early. But then, maybe that’s still cool, because you now don’t know what order to get those Eurekas in, so some of the less important Eurekas might become more important?

You could spend a lot of the game in Chiefdom. That’s weird. And some techs / civics are balanced around being early or leaf techs, eg Monarchy is a bit weaker because it comes early. So, tech and civics trees could be kinda wacky. Although, maybe that’s the point?

Yup. It’s totally going to be awesome. Or maybe terrible. No idea. Cool idea either way.

Everyone hating on the Bermuda Triangle, but I've only seen it two times and never saw it within working range of tiles.

I think I'll stack the odds in FAVOR of the Triangle so I can have at least one unbalanced broken "ha ha I get 10 science tiles on turn 5" game, just for fun...
I think people's main problem with the Bermuda Triangle is the unrealistic teleportation ability.

I love this update! (I personally have a problem with spiritism, so I never played either Apocalypse or Secret Societies.) I am curious what the AI ramifications will be. It may make the AI a bit more "fair" in that it can't hard rush crossbowmen and Machu Pichu, but I hope it doesn't lead to them just stumbling through the tech tree at random. I guess it depends how good the AI is at getting eurekas.
Also, builder starts will be more common I think, searching for craftsmanship.

The early game will still be just as difficult, with beelining craftsmanship being more difficult, but hopefully more fair on the part of the AI! So excited!

Me thinks the Natural Wonders was a test for it, and we will see it implemented for Civs and City States eventually.

Agreed.

It’s really good this stuff is getting added. In a way, these sort of set-up options are more important than they look, because they’re a big part of making the game feel “complete” and or “polished”.

Really hope the Balance Changes are targeted at the right things and well thought out. They usually are, so fingers crossed.

I love how everyone is joking about the Cliffs of Dover being removed from their game. If anyone at Firaxis is reading these comments, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD give Dover a proper buff, and not just a boost to Appeal that won't even affect the majority of the adjacent tiles.

The tech tree randomisation is a cool idea, though I'm not sure how many games I'd want to play with it turned on. Will be very curious to see the Government Plaza changes, as that looks to be the main thing that's going to affect standard play.

Also, I see that Anton has confirmed that getting the Eureka / Inspiration reveals its position on the tech/civic tree, so if anything, Eurekas and Inspirations are even more important than before in helping you beeline effectively.

I feel like this community has gotten really uptight. I like these fun fantasy options and wonders, and randomized techs and civics. It just adds so much replayability.
Yeah I don't personally mind them and really won't use it to block any natural wonders from showing up.
The only reason I might use it to make some appear more often. :mischief:

The real change will be the one for AI.

If AI starts to give high priority to Work Ethic, or build the Pyramids whenever they have a flat desert like they are doing for the Great Bath, I guess many will be very mad .

@Arithmion: What's spiritism?

Anyway, I guess I have a few thoughts about the random techs.

1. Dido will always know where Writing is, which I guess is neat.
2. Kupe might unlock techs that he doesn't have the prerequisites for!
3. Will the AI still get the same free techs that they do now, even if those techs move to different tiers? That might be weird.

This Writing tech, is costing more than 80 science. The screenshot (1:58) is showing 4 science per turn. So if it was costing 80 science then after eureka it's 80 * 0.6 = 48 which will cost only 12 turns. So it probably cost 81 - 86 science. (No overflow here, first tech wasn't even unlocked.)

Last edited:
The natural wonder picker is cool. But I feel like folks have been clamoring stronger for that exact thing (an include/exclude list for randomization) for Civ opponents (in both AI and MP), so I'm surprised that they didn't do that as well.
Yep, I started with civ/CS for YnAMP, and NW were my next planned setup screen feature...

I wonder how they will handle custom wonders.

Top Bottom