[NFP] August Update Video Thread

I wonder if an Eureka will reveal where it's tech is on the tech tree

It does seem like if you get the eureka then the position of the tech is revealed to you. So eurekas are more important in this mode.

Thats a cool detail, If you want to beeline a certain tech you beter gun for the eureka first...it seems more organic that way. I'm really hoping this mode helps in smoothing out the pacing between each era.

That will be awesome. Or maybe terrible. I can’t work out which.

Confirmation that Eurekas reveal tech locations in the new shuffle mode - https://twitter.com/antonstrenger/status/1295386630824624131?s=20

i'm really on the terrible side of opinions on this.Firstt they go ahead and randomize the trees, then they make them appear on the tree as soon as you get the eureka. So people with great memory (or a pedia site open to the right page) will still beeline what they want. This becomes a test of memory then ;-( I just don't like it. Personally, I think the eurekas and inspirations should still come, but NOT show where they are on the trees...

i'm really on the terrible side of opinions on this.Firstt they go ahead and randomize the trees, then they make them appear on the tree as soon as you get the eureka. So people with great memory (or a pedia site open to the right page) will still beeline what they want. This becomes a test of memory then ;-( I just don't like it. Personally, I think the eurekas and inspirations should still come, but NOT show where they are on the trees...
But it still changes the order. The hidden thing is meh to me but I am super pumped for the techs/civics being in different positions.

This means I have to make that Eureka cheat sheet I've been thinking about making.

But it still changes the order. The hidden thing is meh to me but I am super pumped for the techs/civics being in different positions.

This means I have to make that Eureka cheat sheet I've been thinking about making.

hehe guess you're on the 'very organized player' side of the population distribution. And I'm not all that much...plus I'm 55, memory is not what it used to be ;-)

Still... i feel if you,re going to make it random, just make it random... not halfway !

anyways, no biggie !

I made the first mod for it and then took it down and someone reuploaded a different version.

Both versions are hamstrung by UI limitations with regards to possible "columns" in the tech and civics trees. The official version they're releasing fixes that and is way better.
what do you mean ?
Spoiler :
upload_2020-8-17_20-0-7.png

hehe guess you're on the 'very organized player' side of the population distribution. And I'm not all that much...plus I'm 55, memory is not what it used to be ;-)

Still... i feel if you,re going to make it random, just make it random... not halfway !

anyways, no biggie !
No I'm usually chaotic and often don't finish until post-250 (on King). :lol: Except my one and only religious victory. I also play on the Switch. That's why I need a eureka sheet - I can't ever remember all the Eurekas.

Switch is another reason this is so big for me - mods don't really work without hacking the Switch (which I won't do bc Nintendo punishes it so badly). This is basically a mod I always wanted but couldn't get.

The real change will be the one for AI.

If AI starts to give high priority to Work Ethic, or build the Pyramids whenever they have a flat desert like they are doing for the Great Bath, I guess many will be very mad .

You are probably correct. I for one, however, would love the AI giving competition for all the strong things.

I wonder if we can softlock the game in some sort with the shuffle tree.
I managed to do it Civilization V when I build in Sydney Opera House, unlocked a free policy but I already have all of them (some dumb strategy consisting of saving most / all Great Writers, building nearly 100% of the wonders, put great tile improvement, pass the Cultural Heritage Site / Historical Landmarks, then you maxed your Culture, win the World Fair, enjoy the +100% Culture, wait 10 turns and then use all Great Writiers for Culture. Doable with all, but Poland is really easy to do it).

For example, Political Philosophy could be not mandatary to progress with the new tree Shufle. Therefore, it would be possible to go directly to a tier 2 government and somehow, not have unlocked any Diplomatic card yet.

Switch is another reason this is so big for me - mods don't really work without hacking the Switch (which I won't do bc Nintendo punishes it so badly). This is basically a mod I always wanted but couldn't get.

Assuming you can actually get it to work... I bought the NFPass for Switch and could not even run it.

Assuming you can actually get it to work... I bought the NFPass for Switch and could not even run it.
If you mean the "X" button glitch, I had to delete my save data, but I only had like 4 victories anyway, so I did and now have no issues. :dunno:

Toughest part of seeing the update is deciding if I start a new game or not. Just finished my previous one last night, but I do really want to give the random tech tree a shot. Not a fast player though so it might end up being a while before I can start a new game with that mode if I begin one now...

If you mean the "X" button glitch, I had to delete my save data, but I only had like 4 victories anyway, so I did and now have no issues. :dunno:

Nope. I could not even get my copy to boot up. Just an endless "The software needs to be updated." loop. I was lucky enough to get my money back.

The natural wonder picker is cool. But I feel like folks have been clamoring stronger for that exact thing (an include/exclude list for randomization) for Civ opponents (in both AI and MP), so I'm surprised that they didn't do that as well.

Blind tech/civic mode does seem like an interesting way to shake up your game a bit. Anyone know what old 4x game had a 'blind research' mode that Anton was playing?

I think he means Master of Orion. It was my first 4x game, too.

Nope. I could not even get my copy to boot up. Just an endless "The software needs to be updated." loop. I was lucky enough to get my money back.
That's annoying. I get the frustration.

My computer won't run Civ6 so if it stops working for me, I just can't play. :(

I really like that the tech tree shuffle can break up beeline metas.
I wonder if the AI will still secretly know what’s where though. What I don’t love is some of those screenshots where it’s just a stack of 5 techs each leading to one tech in the next column. Hopefully that’s not too common.

And eurekas revealing the tech is... we shall see. It would be interesting if they disabled the normal eurekas entirely so people could experience how slow the game would be without them (for better and worse.)

Top Bottom