1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Auroras" Natural Wonder

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by primem0ver, Aug 9, 2020.

1. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

A few questions about this...

Auroras are not confined to one general location. So I am curious.
    1. Why is this a natural wonder? Are they supposed to be particularly vibrant, colorful, and frequent here? (In the XML file it is called "Platy Aurora"... which is a type of fish. I find no mention of this as a real life location/scene on Google. REALLY confused about that!).
    2. Why forbid the building of a settlement on this particular wonder? On the contrary, building a city near such a "wonder" would probably invite tourism, particularly in the modern age and I was eager to inhabit such a location as a result. I might even add a building for the modern times... the "Hotel Aurora" for such a place that adds happiness, culture, and money. I commented out the line that forbids this in my version of this mod.
    3. I can understand forbidding cities on certain types of natural wonders... but honestly, I think that some of these would be very good locations for cities because of the tourism aspect. Has a tourism component in the game ever been discussed?

2. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

All the natural wonders have PLATY as a prefix...
    platy is just short for platyping, the alias of a mod author who's made a lot of python mods for BtS, he's never worked on C2C afaik, but a lot of his work has been integrated in C2C by others.
    platyping is probably the orignial author of the python code related to the natural wonders.

3. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

Gotcha. Makes sense then.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

1) I find that one a bit odd as well since it's not limited to such a small space but the entire polar region experiences it.
    2) That's really very clunky there and a weakness of the way it was implemented I would think. It's never been addressed though I did do something about the Peak-like natural wonders since it was along the way with another project. A touch of programming may be required and I'm not sure what the pros/cons issues are that led to the current restrictive state. A little focus on making them all work a bit better with C2C would be good.
    3) Tourism is a property and natural wonders give a special building you can build if they are within the city radius - I THINK they probably give some tourism but I'm not sure if they were integrated with tourism in mind or not.