1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aussie Soldier Disgrace

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Margim, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Margim

Margim Footy's back.

It may not be news in the rest of the world, but it certainly is here... only our second Iraq casualty, this situation has 'dodgy' written all over it. Conflicting reports of how the death took place, the body getting temporarily 'lost' on route to Australia. Aside from being a shameful way to treat any deceased person and their family, this whole thing will have conspiracy theorists going for years...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1896513

2. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Walter
    Tango
    Foxtrot
    ?

What a complete mess. :sad:

3. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

AMerican imperialists= crazy idiots.

4. general_kill

general_kill Deity

Seems like a mistake, not much conspiracy. Give the military some time to do an investigation.

5. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

I think it's an honest mistake that's been played up by the media. These things happen sometimes, no matter the circumstances.

I heard on the radio, though, one lady of the family was told by a military official of some sort that the wrong casket had been delivered, but she was expecting her soldier to walk through the door (IE she didn't know he was dead) :( sounded a bit weird because it doesn't fit in with any other news stories that I've come across, but I heard what I heard.

6. zulu9812

zulu9812 The Newbie Nightmare

If he was killed in a room with 2 other ozzie soldiers in it, wouldn't the authorities want to talk to those people?

7. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Can you explain what that was for or did it just pop in your head for no apparent reason? :hmm:

8. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

I believe its Whiskey not Walter.

9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The NEWS is now playing an angry mothers furious accusation of a "Cover up".
    Espcially as we learned the 9mm was placed on a table when it went off and a single shot to the head killed him.

Speculations it could have been a suicide in which Government is trying to cover up. Which would open up what type of combat situations were involoved causing someone to commit suicide (accidental civilian deaths?)
    Someone else was involved in an accidental weapons discharge causing a fellow soldiers death.

10. Meleager

Meleager Stoned as a Statue

I thought it was a bit weird for a expert sniper to accidentally kill himself as soon as I herd about it. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

11. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

Of course they would and the article seems to suggest that they have.

There are several possible explanations.

1. He was playing around/playing games and had an accidental discharge of the weapon. It happens.
    2. He committed suicide. Unfortunately, the suicide rate for soldiers serving in Iraq is on the rise. While for most suicides, the act is solitary some do do it in public.
    3. He was murdered. Having had some knowledge and experience of homicide investigations, it is fairly easy to rule this in or out. Does the Australian Army in Iraq have the capability?

With regard to the casket mix up, unfortunate, but incompetence will always be with us.

12. AL_DA_GREAT

They kill inocent people for personal gain. Everybody agrees that it is bad to be a hit man for the mob. But no one seems to think it is bad to be one for the American Empire

13. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Yes ok you think american soldiers aim are to kill innocent people for gain? What gain would we get by killing innocent people. Im not defending the decision to bomb suburbs with terrorists but overall our goal is not to kill civilians. We are trying to minimize it as much as we can.

I repeat what personal gain do we get out of killing civilians? :rolleyes:
    If anything we get people to dislike us.

14. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Irresponsible handling of a weapon sounds most likely.

While inside a barracks or a building on a base his weapon shouldn't have been loaded.

Especially when he was cleaning or messing around with it.

15. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

The two other soldiers claim they were unaware that the 9mm went off at all.
    It was only sometime afterwards they notice that hes wasnt moving and something was wrong.

He was handling hes laptop when them 9mm went off. Which dosnt make sence as he was killed by a single bullet to the head. The orginal reports were weapon cleaning, then it was 9mm placed on a table at head height. Now its laptop faling and setting of the pistol.

16. AL_DA_GREAT

war = killing people ussualy a lot of civilians

17. Oerdin

Oerdin Deity

I saw lots of Australian soldiers at BIAP where they were working as air traffic controllers. They seemed to have a highest percentage of hot blond chicks in their unit so EVERY guy on base was continually trying to come up with excuses to head over to the Australian part of the base.

18. HawkeyeGS

HawkeyeGS Prince

Absolute disgrace.

19. Lotus49

Lotus49 Emperor

"Walter"??

20. general_kill

general_kill Deity

A bit off topic but when did people start using "aussie" to describe Australians?