Australia - the land down under

That would void the worker bonuses, just add a new unit that can be built and obsolete out the convict. Make it into maybe - engineer with the same bonuses.

I must say I'm having an fun time playing as Australia. I edited Shigg's Earth and added Australia and I've created a real fortress Australia. :) Got all the capital cities (minus Hobart) plus a couple of large regional coastal towns to fill the gaps, then added forts between the gaps in the towns/cities in strategic spots manned by ranged units and backed up by roaming units. Looks fantastic.

Only one problem though. It's lonely. :D With the closest civilizations being Japan, China, Siamese and India with nothing but city states to fill the gaps in South East Asia, there's not much competition around. Meanwhile Europe, Middle East, Africa and Central Asia are all chock a block full of action. I started a few wars, but no one even bothered to test my defences. :( I had to go meet them!

Would love to see a Pacific map to do this Civ justice. *hint* *hint* ;) I wish I had the time or know how to do it myself.

Just imagine, up against China (eastern coast), Siamese, Japan, United States (western coast) Indonesia *hint* ;), New Zealand *hint* plus city states. Now that would be a lot more interesting.

Hey JANorton - nice work on the new civ.

I want to say that it looks way overpowered imo, even without any UU as you say. Bear in mind that most civ's UU/traits are only useful for small portions of the game. Dont forget that all UU's either obsolete quickly, or are unavailable for a long time.

I have a couple of simple suggestions, which I have tried to keep in line with the flavor of an Aussie civ:
Circus - The way I play civ, this is an essential building in every city that can hold one, the happiness bonus is too good to miss, happiness being a much more sought after commodity in Civ V. This Showground design is way better, you can build it more often, and it bestows a production bonus (production is also more highly valued in Civ V), its just going to be awesome. Period. Does that not break the balance though? What I would suggest, is if this showgrounds represents a farmers market type structure, that it benefit commerce in addition to happiness, not food or production. Suggestion: make the bonus of the SHOWGROUNDS +3 happiness, +2 gold for all sheep/horse/cow resources within city boundary.

Worker - Essential unit for the entire game. Every civ has these, they are never obsolete, they are available from the dawn of man! The +50% rate of the convict worker is a breaker for me, makes them far too powerful. Plus, it devalues any wonders/policies which would add to worker work rate. The fact that they are cheaper (50 base rather than 70) is a bonus enough. Did convict workers actually build things 50% faster?! Makes more flavour sense in my opinion, for them just to be easier to mass produce quickly and cheaply. Suggestion: make the base cost of the CONVICT WORKER 40 rather than 70, effectively costing almost half of the normal price, remove the +50% work rate.

Hope you take the feedback in the spirit they are intended, I like the ideas, the graphics, the flavour so far, just think the bonuses are overpowered, possibly to the point of breaking multiplayer/or even single player where you do not get to play as Australia!

cheers

Interesting, but given the time frame of civilization, the fact that Indigenous Australians have one of oldest cultures in history and the fact that Europeans only settle in Australia in 1788, wouldn't a Indigenous Australian civilization be a better in the game.
Finding a leader would be the hard part, maybe Vincent Lingiari as he was the pivotal figure in the early indigenous civil rights movement.
Special unit would probably replace the scout, and the trait should be about artistry.

I get TXT_KEY errors for every piece of new text in this mod, from cities to leader name...
Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Yeah, i like this mod, but text ingame has that TXT thing all over it. If you could fix it, or someone tell me how to would be great
(sorry for bumping)

Yeah it's an annoying problem. And if another civ is Australia, then they appear as Wu Zetian. We may trade with them alot, but we are not Chinese. Maybe a Washington replicant would be better. And when you hear Australians talk about refugees and Afganistan, we are not as multicultural as we think we are. Maybe an anti naval bonus called Stop The Boats would be more accurate.

You should change the unique unit to an rcmp- Royal Canadian mounted Policeman- instead of the calvary: think of something- nice idea though

hi all just wondering if anyone can help me i love playing as australia but is there a way that i can play australia in australia on th world map.

Interesting, but given the time frame of civilization, the fact that Indigenous Australians have one of oldest cultures in history and the fact that Europeans only settle in Australia in 1788, wouldn't a Indigenous Australian civilization be a better in the game.
Finding a leader would be the hard part, maybe Vincent Lingiari as he was the pivotal figure in the early indigenous civil rights movement.
Special unit would probably replace the scout, and the trait should be about artistry.

No, it wouldn't be better. You talk as if indigenous Australia possesses a single homogenous culture which can be represented accurately by a single "civilisation" when in fact hundreds of language groups existed amongst over a thousand seperate and distinct cultural groups, none of which progressed past a nomadic level of development. Australia as we know it is a myriad of different rich, valuable and significant cultural elements. "Indigenous Australia" is PART of that, not all of it or even most of it, and to claim otherwise is to under-recognise those elements that make Australian society what it is

Yeah it's an annoying problem. And if another civ is Australia, then they appear as Wu Zetian. We may trade with them alot, but we are not Chinese. Maybe a Washington replicant would be better. And when you hear Australians talk about refugees and Afganistan, we are not as multicultural as we think we are. Maybe an anti naval bonus called Stop The Boats would be more accurate.

This is a mod thread. With all due respect mate if you want to sound off about politics, do it in OT? :)

You should change the unique unit to an rcmp- Royal Canadian mounted Policeman- instead of the calvary: think of something- nice idea though

Erm, as fine an organisation as the RCMP is, they have nothing to do with Australia. ;)

Similar Civ 4 mods have used a "Digger" or "Lighthorseman" UU?

What in the world? An Australian civ should be an aborigine civ!

Well you're welcome to your opinion of course :)

But hopefully you realise that there are certain cultural and historical intracacies you're not aware of (including the fact that "aborigines" as a single identity was something forced on the many indigenous Australian peoples by Europeans, it wasn't something they invented or approved of themselves until they realised they had no choice). And then there's the broader issue as to whether those peoples had advanced by themselves to a point where they could be considered a civilisation... I'd argue that as special as their cultural impact has been on Australia, none of those peoples had developed to the point where they could be considered a "civilisation".

So again it's about opinion, but i'd disagree... An Australian civ should represent post-federation Australia IMHO :)

I do accept the fact of a post-federation Australia. What's the harm, they added America too...

But I do think the "Aborigines" should be considered a civilization, maybe not very developed, but still a nation (or gathering of nations?). Neither where the Iroquois one group, but I don't have a problem with them being made into one civilization.

I do accept the fact of a post-federation Australia. What's the harm, they added America too...

But I do think the "Aborigines" should be considered a civilization, maybe not very developed, but still a nation (or gathering of nations?). Neither where the Iroquois one group, but I don't have a problem with them being made into one civilization.

agreed to a point.... the Iroquois actually did have much more sophisticated political structures which provided for some form of unity... 7 nations confederation for example. :)

I'm not saying it's an excuse to exclude anyone ;)

I'm simply pointing out that comparing the Iroquois to the indigenous tribes of Australia can't be done, because the two examples are totally different - it's 'Apples and Oranges' I'm afraid.

I fixed the TXT_key error on the latest version of the mod. fkn awesome coz i didn't want to play with the bug.

The 'error' is located in the XML/new text/game text.XML file of the mod. The orgin of the error is the city names - civ doesn't like it if a txt key is repeated anywhere in the game and it occurred to me that Oz might share city names with the english civ. The culprit in this case is NEWCASTLE. I changed the 'newcastle' city name to 'seven emus', partly b/c of a previous post, but also b/c i knew no other civ would have such a name. And lo, it worked, the Australian civ appears in menus properly - sweet.

hopefully that explanation is understandable.

Cheers to the mod developer as well, thanks for adding oz to the game.

Top Bottom