Australia - the land down under

Is this up to date with the latest patch?

Just because the Aborginal tribes/nations didn't advance beyond a certain extent shouldn't alone be grounds to exclude them, when they arrived here they were the most advanced people on the planet and since White colonization the ONLY thing we have done with Australia's natural resources that they hadn't was farm the macadamia nut.

Granted they weren't a single unified civilization and its difficult to pick out a single dominant tribe, likely because there wasn't one over such a vast landmass, combined with a general lack of knowledge of aboriginal leaders and tribes before white settlement.

That being said, I have nothing against just an 'Australian' mod to encompass all our cultures, etc. Perhaps instead of Convict Worker we could have Digger/ANZAC to replace Infantry? Most obvious alternative that I can think of. Also personally I don't mind cities being in order of settlement, if someone wants Canberra to be their capital then they, like we did can simply change it themselves, and in that case Hobart should be 2nd :D

Just because the Aborginal tribes/nations didn't advance beyond a certain extent shouldn't alone be grounds to exclude them, when they arrived here they were the most advanced people on the planet and since White colonization the ONLY thing we have done with Australia's natural resources that they hadn't was farm the macadamia nut.

Well strictly speaking the Aborigines advance differently, rather than just stopped. As hunter gathers they may have been one of the most advanced societies out there. Theres evidence that things such as pottery were abandoned because they weren't needed, and weapons like the boomerang would've taken years to perfect the aerodynamics to make it return. The Australian climate is not one that's suited towards farming, so instead we had incredibly advanced hunter gatherers.

The real question is, is it ironic to have a Hunter gatherer civilization?

Is this up to date with the latest patch?

There's an error in the mod.
However, it's an easy fix. Hamiharr found the problem on the previous page:

I fixed the TXT_key error on the latest version of the mod. fkn awesome coz i didn't want to play with the bug.

The 'error' is located in the XML/new text/game text.XML file of the mod. The orgin of the error is the city names - civ doesn't like it if a txt key is repeated anywhere in the game and it occurred to me that Oz might share city names with the english civ. The culprit in this case is NEWCASTLE. I changed the 'newcastle' city name to 'seven emus', partly b/c of a previous post, but also b/c i knew no other civ would have such a name. And lo, it worked, the Australian civ appears in menus properly - sweet.

hopefully that explanation is understandable.

Cheers to the mod developer as well, thanks for adding oz to the game.

So, what you do is go to the folder at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Australia - The land down under (v 5)\XML\NewText\
I use Windows 7. Your path may vary if you run another OS.

Anyway, when you find the folder, open GameText.xml in notepad. Find the two occurances of "Newcastle" and change them to something else, as described above. Note that if you should use underscore (_) on one of the lines if you use a two-word city name. Just compare to the other city names.

That fixed it for me. It also worked on a savegame from before fixing.

Thank you HamiHarr for figuring it out! All credit to him.

There's an error in the mod.
However, it's an easy fix. Hamiharr found the problem on the previous page:

So, what you do is go to the folder at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Australia - The land down under (v 5)\XML\NewText\
I use Windows 7. Your path may vary if you run another OS.

Anyway, when you find the folder, open GameText.xml in notepad. Find the two occurances of "Newcastle" and change them to something else, as described above. Note that if you should use underscore (_) on one of the lines if you use a two-word city name. Just compare to the other city names.

That fixed it for me. It also worked on a savegame from before fixing.

Thank you HamiHarr for figuring it out! All credit to him.

Or do as some others appear to have done and used an additional character to distinguish a duplicate from the main game, say "_NEWCASTLEB" :)

lol im aussie and there is no way in hell aus produces 'great people' ....just lol

I'm on a mac, so I can't mod even if I had the skills. So I have no idea whether it would be balanced or not. But here's what I was thinking for (european settled) Australia:

Trait: Girt By Sea
+1 happiness in coastal cities (+2 if no foreign cities share landmass), Foreign naval and embarked units move at 1 space a turn through Australian water tiles.

UU: Convict Fleet (Replaces worker)
Slightly cheaper than worker, and can found cities. However, cities founded in this way act as occupied until a penal colony is built.

UB: Penal Colony (replaces courthouse)
Provides normal function of courthouse, plus cheaper purchase of tiles. +1 culture and +1 gold after flight.

The intent is to carry the flavour of how Australian cities cling to the coastline, we're the only country to hog an entire continent, the slowed foreign shipping is to highlight the geographical remoteness and the modern paranoia about "boat people".

Penal colony could perhaps be replaced by some form of "Federation Monument", maybe replacing hermitage. But I like the way they could potentially work together.
Slowed ships could become obsolete (or weakened to 2 spaces) at some point if this is overpowered.

I figure a civ like this would be good for plot generation (I'm fond of playing spain for that reason, its ability obliges you to take natural wonders at all costs): here there being an incentive to settle on and exploit islands. And also an incentive for enemies to attempt to remove Australia if it is slowing their shipping.

Does this work with G&K?

Also interested to know whether it works with G&K.

Was also thinking about what I would do if tasked with making an Australia mod. I think I'd make something along these lines:

UA: Ability to change capital cities. Could be an interesting UA in conjunction with the Tradition policy. Has basis in Australian history
UB: The MCG. Replaces the Circus Maximus, and generates culture as well as happiness
UU: I like the convict idea. If I had to think of something new, I'd add a Digger as it's such a part of Australian history. It would replace a WWI infantry, and would have some sort of defense bonus.

Multiculturalism is pretty strong, maybe nerf that and get rid of convict worker

I would suggest Digger , and give it an Amphibious bonus for free or something similar as the UU

I'm using Vanilla Mac, with the latest patch (For MAC), and I'm getting Wu Zetian as Australia's leader. Is this a known bug?

I haven't played it yet, but places like the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Perth, etc should be added, if they already haven't. The gold Coast is the 6th largest city. It goes Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Canberra and Sunshine Coast. Then the rest are pretty small.
Hobart barely reaches 200 000, and Darwin is tiny. Tasmania is pretty insignificant too.

Hi All!, My First Mod for any Civilization game based on Kael's comprehensive modders guide

Australia, the land down under

UU - Convict Worker - costs 50 production instead of 70, improves tiles 50% faster
UB - Showgrounds (Replaces Circus) - Requires Horses or sheep or cow. +3 Happiness, +2 food on sheep tiles, +2 food on cow tiles, +2 production on horse tiles.

Leader - Robert Menzies

Trait (Multiculturalism) - Policy are 25% cheaper, Great people production 50% faster

These are some pretty nice bonuses imo, but i feel the lack of a combat UU warrants it.

Hope you enjoy it!,

On a side note, does anyone know what size the country map needs to be for the country select screen?

The mod must be under very heavy development, because either I've downloaded he wrong file or...
All cities are called Sydney, and there is also default text before the name. When I start a game, the intro is talking to Washington, but it has got a very roughly photo-shopped picture of Robert Menzies and Ayres Rock. Then also, the convict worker has long text before it actually says 'Convict Worker', and lastly - you had to change the civilization name to actually say 'Australia' and 'Robert Menzies'.

Thank you.

Is the civ leader either Jillard Gillard or Tony Abbott? No, I would definitely if Bob Brown was leader, but he didn't make pm, and voluntariliy retired before any chance of becoming pm. :( LOL

Top Bottom