Australia - the land down under

JANorton

Chieftain
Hi All!, My First Mod for any Civilization game based on Kael's comprehensive modders guide

Australia, the land down under

UU - Convict Worker - costs 50 production instead of 70, improves tiles 50% faster
UB - Showgrounds (Replaces Circus) - Requires Horses or sheep or cow. +3 Happiness, +2 food on sheep tiles, +2 food on cow tiles, +2 production on horse tiles.

Leader - Robert Menzies

Trait (Multiculturalism) - Policy are 25% cheaper, Great people production 50% faster

These are some pretty nice bonuses imo, but i feel the lack of a combat UU warrants it.

Hope you enjoy it!,

On a side note, does anyone know what size the country map needs to be for the country select screen?

Attachments

• Australia - The land down under (v 2).zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,393
  • menzies_civ.jpg
    menzies_civ.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 3,779
  • showgrounds_civ.jpg
    showgrounds_civ.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 3,021
  • australia_civ.jpg
    australia_civ.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 2,914
  • Convict_Worker.jpg
    Convict_Worker.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2,631
Awesome! We should put together a Commonwealth Pack to include most of the Commonwealth nations!

I'll give this a spin tonight. I noticed in your screenshot that the Title for the leader in the Pedia entry seems to be missing a text entry or it was incorrectly added.

wow, don't know how i missed that, cheers. yeh i had it as _TITLE not _SUBTITLE in the text define. Just realized i miss spelled commonwealth as well.

A Commonwealth Pack does sound like a pretty good idea, especially with the commonwealth games starting now.

Yeah, im australian, I love the mod. And the specials even relate directly to how I play... but.. can I just request a couple little additions?

First of all, simple, I know that Sydney and melbourne are TECHNICALLY newer cities... but Canberra IS our capital. So if you could change the city order to allow for Canberra to be our capital, that would be great.

Other then that, I found myself running out of city names fast, and sooner then I knew I had colonised them all... Could you perhaps add more city names? Like, im a queenslander so my ideas on this may be biased.. but id really love to see my hometown Bundaberg added to the list. Along with some other towns like Gympie, Gin Gin, Orange, ect

Anyway, love the mod ... I especially love the workers, faster worker speed is always a plus for me. and showgrounds is a nice touch for a unique building. Brilliant, :p

Thanks for the feedback!, I'm glad your having fun with it.

I thought about it and i agree with you that Canberra should be the first City, even though it wasn't technically the first, it is more annoying having the wrong City as capital. Like when you play Japan in any version of Civ and Kyoto is your Capital and you almost feel obliged to build a Palace at a later stage in Tokyo.

As for more Cities i have added an extra 20 (40 total now) in the attached file in this post, i won't upload it to online repository just yet, still have to make a few other changes before i do. Bundaberg is 21st on this list, Orange 36th and Gympie 39th, if you think you'll need more let me know they are really easy to add.

I still haven't had a chance to do a proper play-through with the Australian Civ just yet do the showgrounds and multiculturalism trait seem to be working as written?

Attachments

• Australia - The land down under (v 3).zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 531
Seem to yes, but I got the most use out of the workers. I dont really notice the great person difference much, but the civics thing seems to make it easier to rush the first little bit. civic wise. which is good, considering the fact that australia is such a young country but still "first world"

Now that bundy is there >_> ill have a proper play through again in a little while, thanks for adding it really.

must say, thanks for uploading it here, but ive been using the ingame mod manager anyway, so ill wait for the new version. :p Actually there is one more town. >_> I personally dont know it, but, when asked for names when I was self naming towns... my finnish friend found a town in the northan territory called "seven emu" its horrible, hilarious, and I think it would be an awesome town to add.

I know you cant really be expected to record someone saying the intro you gave it, but the current american placeholder is a little annoying. Either, get rid of it entirely... or replace it with the australian national anthem perhaps? anyway, as I said, great mod. And now I sleep

I'm having so much fun with this Civ. Really enjoyable game.

You know you're city list order is a little strange. You know, like Hobart being ahead of both Perth and Adelaide, or Sunshine Coast being included at all (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the name of the area)?

You know you're city list order is a little strange. You know, like Hobart being ahead of both Perth and Adelaide, or Sunshine Coast being included at all (correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the name of the area)?

Thanks for your feedback!

The reason i have Hobart so high up is because it was one of the earliest founded penal colonies in Australia, but then technically it should be before Melbourne and Brisbane as well.

I think you are right about the Sunshine Coast, although for some reason Wikipedia lists it in their list of Australian Cities by population, which is what i was using to make sure i didn't miss any cities of decent size.

When i get a chance i'll go back and reorder the cities based on current population with the exception of Canberra in first position and State Capitals before non-capitals.

Awesome stuff! I've been trying to find the motivation to have a crack at this myself as I love playing Australia. You've saved me lots of hassle! ;)

In regards to the Sunshine Coast, yes it's a region north of Brisbane which encompasses various regional cities, the largest being Caloundra. It's got a population of just under 100,000 so I'd say if your going to include any city in that region, Caloundra would be it. Otherwise, great effort!

Now all we need is the perfect map of Asia/South Pacific. :goodjob:

Awesome! We should put together a Commonwealth Pack to include most of the Commonwealth nations!

I was totally thinking about this on the bus on the way home!
I had England, Canada, India, Australia, and South Africa, but for the life of me couldn't remember any other commonwealth nations which could be included. Thank God for the internet! I guess you could include the 13 colonies, as they used to be part of the English empire...(and their leaderhead etc already exists!)

Anyways, I think it's a great idea.

I dont know if this is a problem with the mod, or civ 5 (im leaning towards civ5) But once I deleted the old version of the mod... it doesnt let me install the new one from the browser? o-o

Thanks for the feedback everyone I've just released what should hopefully be the final version (v5) as long as there are no more issues/bugs.

Time to play around with some other mods, you certainly get hooked on it after making one:p

What ideas do you currently have? ive put a few in the requested mods section lol, but I bet you dont care :p

Thanks for the feedback!, I'm glad your having fun with it.

I thought about it and i agree with you that Canberra should be the first City, even though it wasn't technically the first, it is more annoying having the wrong City as capital. Like when you play Japan in any version of Civ and Kyoto is your Capital and you almost feel obliged to build a Palace at a later stage in Tokyo.

As for more Cities i have added an extra 20 (40 total now) in the attached file in this post, i won't upload it to online repository just yet, still have to make a few other changes before i do. Bundaberg is 21st on this list, Orange 36th and Gympie 39th, if you think you'll need more let me know they are really easy to add.

I still haven't had a chance to do a proper play-through with the Australian Civ just yet do the showgrounds and multiculturalism trait seem to be working as written?

Sorry don't mean to troll the statement about Japan just bugged me a bit, while Tokyo is the current capital Kyoto was the original imperial capital of japan in fact technically there was never an imperial edict at all naming Tokyo capital over Kyoto Tokyo is for the most part a de facto capital in that it is the current seat of Japanese government, that is all, kinda like a fun fact

JANorton you bastard, you beat me to it! :mad:

I'm still gonna upload mine, though, since it's a bit different. :D

EDIT: And I'll have to rename it, too...

Now Availabe HERE

What ideas do you currently have? ive put a few in the requested mods section lol, but I bet you dont care :p

Taking a look at making some mods involving lua, probably be a while before i do another civ. Working out how to make it was the fun part of making it for me, so going to try some other stuff.

I don't really like the Convicts, myself, as I just feel it's a poor reflection on Australia to have something that only really reflected the earliest part of Australian history (ignoring the fact that convicts didn't do that much work) present throughout the entire game.

I don't really like the Convicts, myself, as I just feel it's a poor reflection on Australia to have something that only really reflected the earliest part of Australian history (ignoring the fact that convicts didn't do that much work) present throughout the entire game.

I'm not too fussed overall, but I agree it does irk me a little bit. Doesn't quite sit right when you get to the modern era and you still have Convicts hanging around. I reckon what would be awesome is if there was some way of having a modern version of the unit. Maybe a Tradie? :D Note: I'm not comparing Tradie's to Convicts. :lol:

<speculate>
Perhaps you can obsolete a UU with a technology, and allow it's common counterpart back in. :) Find an appropriate technology (say, TECH_REPLACEABLE_PARTS), and the XML for convict worker add

Code:
<ObsoleteTech>TECH_REPLACEABLE_PARTS</ObsoleteTech>

... and with any luck the Convict Worker will be unavailable once replaceable parts has been discovered, and the regular worker will become available. With any luck...
</speculate>

Top Bottom