Australia

Novicenoble

Prince

Link to video.
Everyone loves Australia, of course.

Australia 0.06v released (10/10/2014)

How to Play
You must install RFCD 1.12 released version or SVN 787 version first. Download Australia mod, and overwrite it all into your RFCD mod folder.
Please make a reply here when you cannot run it properly.

Link for RFCD 1.12 (SVN 787) compatible version

G'day mate.

Spoiler :

Welcome to Australia!

Recently I am trying to add Australian Civilization into RFCD, so I made a thread about it.

Spawn date: 1788 AD
Starting Point: Sydney

UP: The Power of Mining Industry
Mines on the mining resources provide doubled production and commerce increment.

UU: Digger
(It was ANZAC with Amphibious and Drill I before, but I tought The Southerner's naming was better)
Replaces infantry. Starts with Drill I and Morale promotion.

UB: Immigration Office
Replaces Custom House. +1:food: per Desert hill tile in city radius. Stores 20% of additional :food: after city growth

UHV:
- Control whole Australia by 1900AD (3 cities in WA, 1 in NT, 1 in SA, 2 in NSW, Vic and Tas, 2 in Qld)
- Gift 15 Digger or Mechanized Infantry by 1950AD
- Be the first to discover Medicine and Refrigeration

Flag and color: Not decided yet. Currently using Babylon's color on American art style.
I think Yellow and Green would be nice.

Currently using Gold and Green colors.

Leaders: Robert Menzies Using Churchill's artwork currently. Does anyone have better idea? :mischief:
+: Now I'm considering John Curtin, made by Ekmek. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11452
++: Also considering about Avain's one. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12287

I chose Avain's Robert Menzies

Update log:
Spoiler :

- 0.01v (7/27/2014)
First workable version uploaded!

- 0.02v (8/8/2014)
UU, UB and embassy graphic changes.
Fixed some text errors.

- 0.03v (16/8/2014)
Now Australia born in 1788 AD
AI Australia born only if colonizing civilizations' stability is below -10
UHV date limit changed.
New barbarian unit - Rabbit (S1 M2, defense only, cannot capture cities)

- 0.04v (21/8/2014)
Now England and Netherlands AI will not settle on the Australia, when Australian Civ is alive.
3rd UHV changed. (Control 25 Forest Preserves by 1980AD -> Be the first to discover Medicine and Refrigeration)
UB changed (Pagan Temple +1:food: per Desert hill tile in city radius -> Custom House. +1:food: per Desert hill tile in city radius, Stores 20% of additional :food: after city growth)
Now Civpedia and info screen shows UB's ability properly.
UP changed (Can build Forest Preserve on Plain Desert -> Mines on the mining resources provide doubled production and commerce increment)
Added Australian Great People's names.

- 0.05v
RFCD 1.12v compatibility test purpose version. Failed.

- 0.06v (10/10/2014)
Now compatible with RFCD 1.12v or SVN 787.
Starting tech changed. (Removed physics, added steampower and democracy)
If congress decides to found colony in Australia when the Australian civ is alive, then Australian civ will get that colonization units.
New artwork for Digger unit button art.
New 3D modelling for immigration office building.

Art Credits:
Spoiler :

To do list:
Spoiler :

Make Australian UP and UHV
Text Works
Debugging
Unique artwork for Australian UB and UU (If possible with my ability...)
Make/Change into 1788Australia mod.
New UB, UP, UHV.
Adding Great People name.
Convert all works compatible with 1.12

Keep it compatible with newest RFCD version :)

New UU graphics, may be. Link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15065

The Most recent Change: 10/12/2014

Maybe the immigration office should replace the customs house? Seems to make more sense to me.

Maybe the immigration office should replace the customs house? Seems to make more sense to me.

That's exactly identical with my very early idea of it. I'm also still thinking about going back to that. However then I need to make it available on inland areas too.

But Customs Houses are limited to coastal cities. Perhaps Jails, Security Bureaus, or Intelligence Agencies?

Okay, that's a good point. Although considering the geographical situation of Australia I don't see which city a coastal requirement would actually limit.

Okay, that's a good point. Although considering the geographical situation of Australia I don't see which city a coastal requirement would actually limit.

Alice Springs, which is one of the smallest city that may can be found. However it gets 3:food: by the UB effect while other cities will get only 1:food:.

Or the Australian north Africa colonies, which are obvious results of Australian imperialism.

Australia, what it could be?

UP: The power of biological experiment: Random spread of food resources inside cultural borders. On spread +1:unhealthiness: to all cities.

UB: Immigration office (replaces custom's house) (custom's house's effects) +1:food: per desert tile.

UHV:
*Australian integration: Make sure the cultural borders of your coastal and lake cities fill in Australian continent by 1950AD.
*Sydney Opera House: Finish Opera House in Sydney and construct a great wonder in less than 20 years by 1970AD.
*Biggest environmental experiment: Have the highest health rate in the world for 50 turns by 1980AD.

UP: The power of biological experiment: Random spread of food resources inside cultural borders. On spread +1:unhealthiness: to all cities.

UB: Immigration office (replaces custom's house) (custom's house's effects) +1:food: per desert tile.

UHV:
*Australian integration: Make sure the cultural borders of your coastal and lake cities fill in Australian continent by 1950AD.
*Sydney Opera House: Finish Opera House in Sydney and construct a great wonder in less than 20 years by 1970AD.
*Biggest environmental experiment: Have the highest health rate in the world for 50 turns by 1980AD.

Thanks for idea bundle, and I have some questions.

What does that 'Random spread' exactly means?
And that immigration office might be too powerful, unless it increases tile's output itself.

There are a sport in Australia that they are good at. I don't remember which.
I read that Australian cities are one of the best rated , based on health, pollution, crime, happiness, life level , entertainment etc etc
And they have medics that fly in aeroplanes to places where there are no hospitals nearby (many places of Australia)

These can give ideas like:
UB: a building related to that sport
UP: happiness and health and food in all cities
UU: Fighters or bombers with medic promotion :health:

Anything related to food will be good, like your ideas

What does that 'Random spread' exactly means?
And that immigration office might be too powerful, unless it increases tile's output itself.

Well, Australia is famous for spreading species from other corners of the planet to Australia with unexpected unpleasant results like rabits and plants. I found it an interesting idea to be represented in the game.

Random spread means that there is a little chance every turn to see a new food resource pop-up somewhere in Australia. This will need some balancing.

The immigration office increase the tile's output, it works as a harbour for deserts.

UHV:

Maybe biological diversity instead. Experiment sounds like Australia tested biological weapons.

The Immigration ofice is still pretty useless except in alice springs. Modern age cities start with four population so five workers. 3 food from lake (with harbour), 1 food from desert, 2 food from city, 1 food from desert, 1 food from desert. You will stay at four population but you can't work the uranium.

The first two UHVs are good. But Australia doesn't have good health because of it's plant life. Maybe a different name.

Australia from an Australian's point of view,

Leaders, Sir Edmond Barton (only because he was the first), Sir Robert Menzies (considered by both sides of Australian politics as the greatest Prime Minister), John Howard or Bob Hawk (considered two great milestone Prime Minister's). Why not John Curtin???
Reason A: Menzies is a Prime Minister of the same era so Curtin is not required.
Reason B: Curtin's only claim to fame is that he was in charge through what is considered the darkest part of WW2 and started the American-Australian alliance. However most of the hard work was done by the people that came before and after him.

UP: I have a couple of suggestions
option 1: The power of the CSIRO: can spend money to finish research. (Reason: Australia is likely to fall behind in the research department very quickly so this will help them keep up.)
option 2: The power of the CSIRO: plus one :food: for all desert and coast tiles (Reason: will help both the coastal and desert cities keep up with constant flow of immigrants thanks to Leoreth change to the immigration mechanic.)
option 3: The power of the Australian Beaches: all coast tiles produce plus one :food: and plus one :commerce: (reason: this helps the coastal cities as they are the largest and also shows off the second largest industry in Australia, the tourism industry.)
option 4: The power of the Natural Resources: All mining and food resources produce double of their respective resource for trade. (Australia is know for its natural resources and we sell most of these through trade.)

UB: I have designed these to work with their corresponding UP's as well as some extra ones that can just be thrown in for the LOL's
option 1: The Australian Tourism office (replaces customs house): extra power: plus one :food: and :commerce: for all coastal tiles.
option 2: The Australian Trade office (replaces customs house): extra power: plus one :commerce: for all coastal tiles and plus one trade route.
option 3: Australian Mine (replaces the mine tile improvement): Double resources from mining node for trade.
option 4: The CSIRO (replaces lab): plus one :food: on all coastal and desert tiles.
option 5: Stadium (replaces amphitheater): plus one happiness for every hit sporting event owned. (Australian's love their sport!!!)

UU:
option 1: Digger (replaces Infantry): starts with City Garision 3 (see The Rats of Tobruk for details as to why. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_of_Tobruk )
option 2: Australian SAS (replaces Paratrooper): starts with extra experience to spend. (considered among one of the best special forces in the world as recognized by the British SAS and the American Navy Seals)
option 3: Australian Patrol Boat (replaces Destroyer): don't know what the extra power could be but this boat makes up the bulk of the Australian navy designed to be fast so that it can patrol that vast Australian coast line. maybe increased movement speed.

Capital: I know Canberra is the capital of Australia, however, it is to close to Sydney and Melbourne on the map so I would argue that Sydney should be the capital since it is that city that most people from outside of Australia believe is the capital. Also if the start date is to be 1900 then Canberra is not yet to be established let alone be the capital.

Core and Historical area. Core should really be the complete Australian continent. With historical in New Zealand and some of the other Pacific Islands.

Because 1900 is very late, maybe the start date should be 1788 or later making it a trigger when someone founds a city there. With the core just being the East Coast around to Melb tile and Tas.

Maybe biological diversity instead. Experiment sounds like Australia tested biological weapons.

The Immigration ofice is still pretty useless except in alice springs. Modern age cities start with four population so five workers. 3 food from lake (with harbour), 1 food from desert, 2 food from city, 1 food from desert, 1 food from desert. You will stay at four population but you can't work the uranium.

I agree with 'biological diversity' one.

Currently Immigration office it self provides :food:, so you don't need to allocate your work forces on desert hill tiles. I think this is much better than increasing every desert tile's :food: production.

Australia from an Australian's point of view,

Leaders, Sir Edmond Barton (only because he was the first), Sir Robert Menzies (considered by both sides of Australian politics as the greatest Prime Minister), John Howard or Bob Hawk (considered two great milestone Prime Minister's). Why not John Curtin???
Reason A: Menzies is a Prime Minister of the same era so Curtin is not required.
Reason B: Curtin's only claim to fame is that he was in charge through what is considered the darkest part of WW2 and started the American-Australian alliance. However most of the hard work was done by the people that came before and after him.

UP: I have a couple of suggestions
option 1: The power of the CSIRO: can spend money to finish research. (Reason: Australia is likely to fall behind in the research department very quickly so this will help them keep up.)
option 2: The power of the CSIRO: plus one :food: for all desert and coast tiles (Reason: will help both the coastal and desert cities keep up with constant flow of immigrants thanks to Leoreth change to the immigration mechanic.)
option 3: The power of the Australian Beaches: all coast tiles produce plus one :food: and plus one :commerce: (reason: this helps the coastal cities as they are the largest and also shows off the second largest industry in Australia, the tourism industry.)
option 4: The power of the Natural Resources: All mining and food resources produce double of their respective resource for trade. (Australia is know for its natural resources and we sell most of these through trade.)

UB: I have designed these to work with their corresponding UP's as well as some extra ones that can just be thrown in for the LOL's
option 1: The Australian Tourism office (replaces customs house): extra power: plus one :food: and :commerce: for all coastal tiles.
option 2: The Australian Trade office (replaces customs house): extra power: plus one :commerce: for all coastal tiles and plus one trade route.
option 3: Australian Mine (replaces the mine tile improvement): Double resources from mining node for trade.
option 4: The CSIRO (replaces lab): plus one :food: on all coastal and desert tiles.
option 5: Stadium (replaces amphitheater): plus one happiness for every hit sporting event owned. (Australian's love their sport!!!)

UU:
option 1: Digger (replaces Infantry): starts with City Garision 3 (see The Rats of Tobruk for details as to why. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rats_of_Tobruk )
option 2: Australian SAS (replaces Paratrooper): starts with extra experience to spend. (considered among one of the best special forces in the world as recognized by the British SAS and the American Navy Seals)
option 3: Australian Patrol Boat (replaces Destroyer): don't know what the extra power could be but this boat makes up the bulk of the Australian navy designed to be fast so that it can patrol that vast Australian coast line. maybe increased movement speed.

Capital: I know Canberra is the capital of Australia, however, it is to close to Sydney and Melbourne on the map so I would argue that Sydney should be the capital since it is that city that most people from outside of Australia believe is the capital. Also if the start date is to be 1900 then Canberra is not yet to be established let alone be the capital.

Core and Historical area. Core should really be the complete Australian continent. With historical in New Zealand and some of the other Pacific Islands.

Because 1900 is very late, maybe the start date should be 1788 or later making it a trigger when someone founds a city there. With the core just being the East Coast around to Melb tile and Tas.

About leaders, I found Sir Menzies' leader art yesterday so I'm trying to use it.

About UP. Research speed problem can be solved by adjusting its constants. I'm now considering 3 options.
1. Tourism bonus. (commerce bonus, maybe after flight or for airport?)
2. Resource bonus. (Your option 4)
I found that current Australia needs lots of resource trade with others to maintain their major cities. I think resource boost can be good in that case.
3. Change UB and give bonuses on deserts by UP.
I tried some test games in last few days, and now I bet you that general coastal tile :food: bonus will make them super OP. :mischief:

About UU and UBs. I took The Southerner's UU idea.
The Australian civ - I've been thinking about this. The UU could be a "Digger" - infantry with improved movement, healing and morale (think Gallipoli and Kokoda Track)? This could be useful if Australia is invaded (by the Japanese :) ) as troops could move further distances per turn from the cities to combat the threat (as Australia is so sparsely populated). The UB could link in with this - "Sports Stadium" - an amphitheatre that gives extra strength and stamina to units (as Australia is per capita the most successful sporting nation on Earth)?
I heard that Australian army have done impressive works in both north Africa and Jungle and marshes in SE Asia. I'm considering about making them available to enter jungle and marsh tiles, while their starting promotion is still debatable.

Their UB should mutually supplement their weak parts with UP. I like your options.

Capital. I thought Canberra is good capital location, but I'd got this in recent marathon game.
Spoiler :

Nice work Englishmen.

Now I'm considering your options quite seriously.

Core and Historical Area. Currently, whole Australasia is Australian Historical area. The core area (Currently using Qld, NSW, Vic and Adelaide as their core) is controversial problem, because:
1. Usually, there are some Dutch cities in WA.
2. Dutch guys often choose super bad city locations.
3. Player will take all of it when we give whole Australia as the core.
Also I can see the people who will try to conquer whole world with superstable Australia.

These are my options.
1. Use current core area, and set their flip zone includes whole Australia. However, you will not get Dutch cities not located in the core.
2. Fix English and Dutch city placement AI map.

Birth Year. I'm considering about giving England an option to grant independent to Australian cities, and make forced independent event in 1900. It will require lots of python and cpp works however.

Good luck!I wish I could help but i don't know how to code.

I thought this:

UB: Immigration office (replaces custom's house): extra effect: desert tiles: +1:food:
UP: Power of biological diversity: Can build improvements on desert tiles.

The combination of these two gives the opportunity to maintain cities in Australian mainland.

Core area: English colonies/Eastern coast (Canbera, Merbourne, Sydney)
Historical: The rest of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Tasmania, Oceania

This will make Australia super stable, since the big cities are inside core area.

Indepedence: Australia and Canada never fought for their indepedence. Moreover, they are parts of the commonwealth. That's why I consider them parts of England (Commonwealth of England) in DoC terms. I though a solution about that.

Conditional spawn: Australia spawns if England is unstable or collapsing and there is an english city in Australia.

If England is the player and he is stable, then he can release Australia after the spawning date (this mechanism is already in the game). If England is AI, you just have to teach the AI how to use this mechanism if England is stable.

I don't see the problem in the Immigration Office replacing the Customs House. Just remove the coastal requirement (and the Harbor requirement too ofcourse). That's what I have done with the Italian 2nd UB. Just because the Customs House requires coastal access doesn't mean the UB replaces should.

Spoiler :
The Italian 2nd UB replaces the Customs House. The first bonus is that the trade route modifier applies to all trade routes, not just foreign ones. The 2nd bonus is that it's buildable in all cities, not just coastal ones.

EDIT:
Maybe even better: Remove the coast requirement. But add the Airport requirement as an alternative for the Harbor requirement. This way, it will be buildable in coastal cities, which do have an Harbor. Inland cities can't build it, unless you build an airport in them.

EDIT:
Maybe even better: Remove the coast requirement. But add the Airport requirement as an alternative for the Harbor requirement. This way, it will be buildable in coastal cities, which do have an Harbor. Inland cities can't build it, unless you build an airport in them.

Absolutely brilliant idea. You changed my mind :D

Top Bottom