1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Australian indigenous civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by TimChuma, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TimChuma

TimChuma Chieftain

With the Maori being added in the new upgrade any word on if there will be an Australian indigenous civ? I know there are a lot to choose from.

Not sure where I saw it, but one of the reasons why they said it will not happen was that it was to complicated?

Buthera and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  2. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

There hasn't been a word of any content after GS, so no, nothing about specific Australian peoples either. There are mods though.

3. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Wouldn't surprise me. With all my sympathy and fascination with native Australian culture, it's hard to find proposed civ which is... how to put it gently... Closer to Paleolithic level. Geographic conditions forced them to become excellent hunter gatherers who had no cities, insanely low population density, no agriculture, no writing, no metal, no animal husbandry, no state structures etc. Divided among countless diverse, small tribes. Even Native Americans and Maori are much, much easier to adopt into civ format, for various reasons.

4. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

The earliest "leak" (which turned out to be false) had Noongar for this expansion. I guess it's possible they are being considered for expansion 3 but I wouldn't expect to see them over the big names still missing.

5. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

The AssemblingTyphoon leaker said Maya, Byzantium, Portugal, Assyria/Babylon, a Native American Civ, Ethiopia. That's about a civ short. Maybe we can speak Noongar into existence.

Edit: I predict Vietnam, though. That's been the most requested civ to never appear for a while, with the exception of Canada. Nubia was on the list. Italy is also heavily requested.

6. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Emperor

I hope we will not get Australian aboriginal Civ, because it doesnt make any sense. They didnt have any of the techs or civics that are in the game. They had the most primitive culture in the world. They were in the stone age. On the other hand with jokes like Great Death Robots (bad jokes IMO) this game cant really get much more silly so I guess adding some aboriginal Civ wouldnt really be a big deal.

7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Six short, in fact, as I would consider both Assyria and Babylon to be wishful thinking.

Vietnam has been a popular suggestion for one of the other slots, and probably quite likely. I would like Italy for the last slot. Some favour Berbers/Morocco but that seems a stretch with Ethiopia in the same expansion.

Either way I wouldn't expect to see Noongar.

ETA for clarification: I do think we'll get one of Assyria and Babylon but not both. Yes, we had both in Civ V but they weren't both added in the same DLC.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Zaarin likes this.
  8. DannyMustardpants

DannyMustardpants Chieftain

I think the Māori were more or less a way for Firaxis to include New Zealand as a Civ without it being too similar (in most people's minds) to Australia.

BF Bullpup and Red_warning like this.
  9. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Cultures ahead of Australian aborigines in the queue for inclusion as a civ: the ones that adopted agriculture. Maybe after we get the Shan States, the Samoyeds and the Isle of Man as playable civs.

Zaarin likes this.
  10. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

I'm genuinly curious about what kind of unique building the aborigines could get.

11. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold King

It would be very difficult. There are a lot of disparate tribes so it is hard to pick. And none of them have strong ideas for UI or leaders.

The Noongar do seem to be the best option but even still it would take a lot of stretching.

Zaarin likes this.
  12. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

was that the legit leaker?

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I believe when they said Assyria/Babylon they meant probably one or the other and wouldn't have decided yet so there would still be two options if they go with eight. Vietnam and Italy would be very likely contenders and would be my preference.

As for an aboriginal Civ I think it will be too hard to implement for various reasons already stated and it would be so much easier to at least incorporate the Inuit into a Civ.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. Patine

Patine Deity

The BIGGEST problem is that the Australian Aboriginal peoples built no cities or permanent structures, had no written language, and didn't improve lands - things civ's in the game are all doing VERY early on. This would also be problem for the Inuit, many (but not all) Siberian civ's, and the Arawak/Carib. In these way, even their inclination and desire as cultures for such activities, seemingly, were less than, say, the Pontic Steppe nomads or the Great Plains or Pampas indigenous people.

Banazir864, Atlas627, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  15. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

They'll come in the DLC that adds the Inuit, Sentinelese, and Corded Ware Culture. Except the Corded Ware culture actually makes the most sense of the three given they had agriculture, bows, and pottery. :mischief: As an added difficulty, my understanding is that Aboriginal Australians have a very unfriendly relationship with Western media; I don't think they'd want to be included.

TahamiTsunami and Depravo like this.
  16. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

For clarification, I wasn't at all advocating that the Inuit get in the game, I was just merely stating they would be slightly easier to implement than the Aboriginals of Australia. I agree if would be hard to improve your land if you had a start bias of snow and polar ice.

nzcamel, Depravo and Zaarin like this.
  17. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Could an Indigenous Australian culture be added into Civ proper (they are already in mods) - yes

Are the Devs aware of this - yes, when setting up Australia the explicitly mentioned that they didn't add any Indigenous bonuses to give them space to add an Indigenous Civ in the future

Should they add an Indigenous Civ from Australia - Yes

But - If they do, it has to be done in concert with the people you are adding, more consultation than the Pueblo, more than they gave with the Cree, and probably more than they did with the Maori

TimChuma, Buthera, MooFreaky and 7 others like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

Honestly I don't see why the aboriginal's relative lack of development would stop them being implemented as a civ. It's pretty minor in the scale of historic incredulousness of the game anyways. An 'Aboriginal themed player option' (UA: Walkabout! Dreamtime! etc) could certainly be added as the "what if X group of people managed to exist from agriculture to a future era as a coherent cultural group and follow a very western set of progression/cultural artifacts/religious models" of the game.

However, it was pointed out by someone in a previous thread that most Aboriginal groups apparently have beliefs about the depictions/images of people that would probably make them pretty unhappy with any depiction of one of their leaders as an animated civ caricature. Which probably makes it a no go regardless from Firaxis's point of view.

Atlas627 likes this.
  19. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

To be honest I've always thought the idea of contacting tribes to ask them for their blessing to be a bit odd, imagine if they started asking embassies of existing nations for their allowance, and imagine a nation like China responding with a no. Would people accept that?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    nzcamel likes this.
  20. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

It's about goodwill. Most modern nations that aren't Russia or China (lèse-majesté is still a crime in China!) couldn't care less about their depiction in a video game. Many indigenous peoples, however, feel a need to exert some control over narratives involving their peoples. While this impulse is understandable in a colonial context, exactly how far that should be indulged is a philosophical discussion for another time and place (IMO history and culture are a general, universal human heritage); that consulting with indigenous leaders creates general goodwill, however, is good marketing for Firaxis.

nzcamel, Banazir864, Atlas627 and 6 others like this.