Australian think tank suggests American air power is on verge of collapse

appian

Chieftain
http://www.defpro.com/daily/details/236/

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2009-02.html

This is interesting if true. Anyone care to comment, especially on the veracity of the information?

The reality of evolving IADS technology and its global proliferation is that most of the US Air Force combat aircraft fleet, and all of the US Navy combat aircraft fleet, will be largely impotent against an IADS constructed from the technology available today from Russian and, increasingly so, Chinese manufacturers.

p.s. I'm aware this would be a highly politicized issue as well.

Big deal.

We would never invade China or Russia anyway. And in the extreme case that we had to, the American public would be ready for higher casualties, and aircraft production would skyrocket.

Big deal.

We would never invade China or Russia anyway. And in the extreme case that we had to, the American public would be ready for higher casualties, and aircraft production would skyrocket.

What about Iran?

good. the leveler the playing field, the less likely for a war to either happen or get too out of hand.

what i mean by that is, let's say iran acquires nukes. then we invade. if they know they can't last through conventional means, they'll nuke something when backed against the wall. (note, i don't believe this will happen, i picked iran as a placeholder)

I am about 90% certain this article has already been posted, and thoroughly jeered at. :dunno:

http://www.defpro.com/daily/details/236/

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2009-02.html

This is interesting if true. Anyone care to comment, especially on the veracity of the information?

p.s. I'm aware this would be a highly politicized issue as well.

APA is 99% a great site. I was a LAAD gunner in the marines, and it's still pretty much my favorite site about this stuff. Tho when it comes to the f-22 and f-35, it gets as you say politicized.

Now if you read between the lines, what they are really saying is that the new (or coming soon) stuff that Russia and China is coming out with if used holistically/en mass with well trained personal can be used to great effect on the US's 20yr + old aircraft. The only thing surprising about this is that it took 20yrs!

And this all goes on the successful proliferation of these new air defense systems. The 3 S-400/300 Iran is getting (has???) doesn't make a proper Air defense system.

google 2018 bomber and 2037 bomber. The airforce knows the status of it's hvy bomber fleet. But the ppl with the money think the US can get by on on the B-52's till 2040 (the B-52 came out in 1952) and it's 20 B-2s.

What about Iran?

If they ever do anything worthy of the US invading, which of course would require public support (not likely nowadays, unless Iran really does something), the public would have to stomach several hundred (in the worst case) air force casualties.

Yeah cause that really worked during WWI and WWII. :crazyeye: :crazyeye: :crazyeye:
Those two involved "level playing fields?" :confused:

A Great Power Balance of Power is more likely to stop major wars from breaking out. Unfortunately, it's also more likely to result in them being pretty horrific if they do. Makes whether it's a good thing or not a bit debateable.

World War 1 was certainly very level. The European front lines barely moved in 4 years.
Still not a level playing field. Britain and France were starving Germany out, though that wasn't their intent. Not to mention how overmatched Germany was in her colonies, and the hilarity of the Ottoman Empire actually invading Russia.

Those two involved "level playing fields?" :confused:

A Great Power Balance of Power is more likely to stop major wars from breaking out. Unfortunately, it's also more likely to result in them being pretty horrific if they do. Makes whether it's a good thing or not a bit debateable.

World War 1 was certainly very level. The European front lines barely moved in 4 years.

Yeah I mean just WWI. I'm not an expert in WWII but WWI definitely was.

Yeah I mean just WWI. I'm not an expert in WWII but WWI definitely was.
Nah, not really. Britain and France had a sizeable advantage, especially the longer the war dragged on. They didn't realise it at the tme of course. And as the war dragged on, they gained more and more allies, thus tipping the balance even more in their favour.

Big deal.

What about Iran?

Yes, this was the point of the article Chronic: China and Russia can sell these to whomever they please, like Iran, North Korea, or Venezuela.

As for production "skyrocketing," just how the hell do you expect THAT to happen? :lol:Its not as if you can order Ford to start cranking out F-22s all day.

See these articles fail to mention our B-2s, F-35s (which we will see the first squadrons at Eglin with the next two years) and it only mentions the F-22s. Well with any of those three aircraft we can take out most of their air defense, following it up with our heavy hitters, B-52s B-1s F-16s and so on and so on. More importantly we have seen how this actually works. In Iraq at the beginning of the war what happened. We sent in F-117s and B-2s to take out their air defense system, what followed that a massive assault by F-16s B-52s, A-10s etc etc etc. We don't need a massive group of aircraft that can overcome air defense systems, just a few to take out defenses then the rest fly in obliterate the enemy before they have a chance to recoup from the initial attack

Why not, it's not like anyone is buying their cars these days. Might as well put those factories to good use!

:rotfl: You think putting a plane together is like building a car? Aircraft today, especially the most advanced one on the planet, is indefinitely more complicated than a stupid car, requires more time, energy, materials, and technology than any sort of car factory has, and, oh, did I mention that a single unit costs $135 Million?

See these articles fail to mention our B-2s, F-35s (which we will see the first squadrons at Eglin with the next two years) and it only mentions the F-22s
The first article puts a heavy focus on the F-35. It basically says that it is garbage and F-22s are good. If the US can only rely on its F-22s: it will only have 180 (I believe the goal is) and they will require land bases within striking range, or heavy use of tankers (which while possible isn't something you want and will significantly decrease the number of sorties). Take into account that some of those will be grounded due to mechanical problems, and some will likely be required to be elsewhere and you don't have much of an force for achieving air-superiority.There are also only 20 B-20s. And I don't know where they fit in the article.
Those numbers wouldn't bode well for the US.

I can't say anything about accuracy of the article or the background, or how likely these IADs are to spread quickly (if Iran could even maintain them). But if they can, US force projection capabilities will be severely damaged. I am not talking about a full scale war (which would be more costly), but a quick airstrike into some country that is doing something stupid, say if the US wants to knock out a possible Iranian reactor.

Top Bottom