1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia's Impending Doom - Can we fix it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Snoopy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy Prince

I'm in New Zealand, and so I do hear about Australia drying up quite often.

So I started thinking about what the government will do to fix this and I really couldn't think of a quick permanent solution.

Then I thought wouldn't it have been interesting had Australia been as lush and resourceful as North America - especially considering two factors: colonized by Europeans and a very large land mass.

So then I began to compare Australia to the USA, why is USA lush green and Australia dry red, I first thought about it's location and I didn't see that being an issue, so why is it a huge desert, but the answer is pretty obvious right? Mountains. If only Australia had huge mountainous ranges, it could feed rivers into lakes and oceans, generating a cooler climate in southern regions and tropical climates in the northern, creating a good range of temperature for a variety of crops, animals, etc.

But my first question is, can a mountainous range be man-made? How long until the new effects start? And probably most importantly, where would you put the mountain range on Australia for it to work?

Does anyone think this could work?

2. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Australia's impending doom -- england cricket team..?

although i have nothing to boast about :cry:

3. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Probably not.

4. Theige

Theige American Baron

I guess we don't know if it'll work till you try it.

Not that we're capable of building entire mountain ranges in a cost effective manner at this point, anyways :p

Large parts of America are pretty dry by the way, and have some of the same problems. Particularly the Southwest, and the West in general minus the Northwest Pacific coast.

I've seen quite a few stories over the years about the depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer.

5. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

America had the sound of chopping axes at its frontiers , Australia had the sound of the silence at its dead centre

So we developed the best dry land farming techniques, I like the outback, if you built mountains, (a long debated plan) and a channel to fill the inland seas with water, India would be pretty upset its the Aussie desert that powers the Monsoons by sucking down all that cold air in the Himalayas

So a mountain range would lead to the desertification of our northern wetlands, and put native plants at risk for introduced weeds ... just so we could be a little more like the old mother land

6. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

Not sure where impending doom is coming in here...

7. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Actually, our mountains are the cause of the problem. They're along the eastern coast, and they act as a rain shadow preventing moisture reaching inland. Our geographical location doesn't help either. If you look at the map, we're at a similar latitude as the Sahara, ie. a high pressure region.

We do have a major river system, the Murray-Darling, that flows west from the Great Dividing Range across the dry plains. That area is like Australia's Midwest, but we've drawn so much water from it that, combined with the drought, the river would no longer reaches the sea unless the mouth is being constantly dredged.

8. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Population outgrowing water supply I think.

I think the US southwest and south California are in bigger trouble then Australia. California is so overdeveloped and unsustainable it's a wonder the region hasn't collapsed.

9. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

It may not be cheap, but there's plenty of water around you. I gotta think desalination and piping is cheaper than building 6,000 foot piles of rock hundreds of miles long.

10. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

Australia's impending doom - New Zealanders taking up pillaging?

11. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

our farmers are on drought relief, flood relief, and are facing a locust plague all at the same time... :(

its a very very fragile, nutrient poor topsoil, and slight changes in climate have greater effects than more forgiving environments ... impending doom is the status quo

*edit- did i mention bush fires- edit*

12. Tee Kay

Indeed, but desal is not without its problems.

Funny you mention that...

Link to video.

The folly is in trying to make the MDB - poor soil, salinity-prone, fragile semi-deserts - a breadbasket in the first place. I mean, we growing rice for export. Rice.

13. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

There are very few problems that surpass lack of water.

Well, that might work up where Australia is tropical, no? Sorghum could probably be grown quite well throughout a lot of the country.

14. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

thank you for that :D

its nearlly gone bust a couple of times... third time lucky?

15. Ceoladir

Michigan has long wanted to sell water to California. We have one of, if not the largest supply in the world.

16. Tee Kay

That is very true. But I think desal is a last resort option. We're not quite there yet. (though the Victorian Government is building one anyway).

Some parts of tropical Australia is suitable for agriculture, yes. But in others the soil there is highly toxic. Then you'll have to deal with the environmentalists who worry you're destroying ecosystems, etc. And then there's the issue of cost; that part of the country is very underdeveloped, and far from the major population centers.

17. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

@contre- there has been massive pressure to attempt to stop the government from going down the desal route. But they have anyway. Recycling would be a clearly superior option, and other water management policies would be both more cost efficient and environmentally friendly.

Probably important to note that NSW is no longer in drought, and in the last few weeks experienced some of the worst floods in years. The spring was the wettest on record. Serious problems though there may be, impending doom is a complete overreaction.

18. Ceoladir

If worse comes to worse, somebody will give water to Australia.

19. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

they have seriously considered towing icebergs from Antarctica... anything BUT recycling our waste water... which is really our first step if we were sensible

20. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Dumb move. Far too expensive. And it would damage you in the long run.