1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia's Impending Doom - Can we fix it?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Snoopy, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Doesn't mean they won't do it.

2. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

Expect it to be on Gov. Granholm's desk by Wednesday.

3. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

It was attempted...

4. Ceoladir

I haven't heard her name since the election. I just fear what Snyder will be like. Probably tear down everything that was saved in Detroit by the auto bailouts.

5. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

yes , :) but it still pops up as a solution in debates, much the same way a new great dividing range... from portaGutta to the Alice with a large channel to flood the salt lakes gets mooted every few years...

that's the trouble with the electric dick, every 3rd or 4th idea he has, is GOOD, but they all enter into our cultural literacy and resurface again and again

6. Arwon

Arwon

Australia's water issues are, in a word, infrastructure.

When we talk about water shortage in Australia, we're talking about a limited and variable supply for agriculture - not everyone running out of drinking water and dying of thirst. It's economic scarcity, not physical scarcity.

Economic use of water is a relatively small fraction of what falls on Australia. The fact that we don't capture much run-off and don't recycle very much means there's plenty of room to expand water capacity in the cities.

Also, this:

For foreigners: that's what I mean by economic scarcity rather than physical scarcity. There's not enough water for what we've spent 50 years trying to do with it.

The fundamental point is that Australia is not Europe, America or New Zealand. Except for Tasmania, the south east, and the south west. Different rules apply in terms of what you can do with the land in a sustainable way.

7. Shaihulud

Shaihulud Deity

Why the obstacle to recycling waste water? Australia should stop giving subsidies to its grain farmers, practise a bit of sustainable agriculture perhaps, also stop watering lawns.

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

This.

9. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

I must read that book.

10. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I have never understood why that has not been considered as an option, I mean lots of other countries do it so why shouldn't swe, especially considering our climate we should find ways of better water use.

11. Theige

Theige American Baron

There are local ecosystems that have already completely collapsed in California.

ie. rivers and lakes that have completely dried up, and are now desert.

12. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

i thought you had... hence you name :D

13. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

Michigan and other Great Lake States (AND Canada) have all came together to not sell any water.

I'm sorry, but if you build your homes in the desert you have to deal with it. It's not ground breaking news that you would have difficulty coming across water in the desert.

I dont feel sorry for them.

14. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

What I meant by collapsed is the whole economy and way of live. I knew some local areas have been destroyed which is sad. Cities shouldn't be built in deserts.

15. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I realize it would be expensive, but is desalination a viable alternative for Australia and California? Saudi Arabia does a lot of that, IIRC.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Saudi Arabia has massive quantities of the cheapest oil in the world to use to desalinate the water. No one in the world has cheaper energy. So everyone else would pay vastly more to do it.

17. Arwon

Arwon

There's also a lot of pollution. The Persian Gulf gets a crapload of chlorine and copper dumped into it every day by the gulf countries' de-sal plants. The concentrated brine is also an issue, as is heated water from power plants' cooling activities.

Given how dirty our electricity grid is, it's also a nightmare emissions-wise.

Running them directly of solar and wind would solve that, and also the damaging heated water flow into coastal ecosystems.

Sydney already has a de-sal plant at Kurnell, Perth at Kwinana, and Melbourne is getting one. I know the Kwinana one is pretty clean and energy efficient (run off a wind farm). I have less faith in the Kurnell one because it's the NSW Government.

18. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Are there any rivers that dump fresh non frozen water into the ocean in Antarctica? It would be cheaper and easier to load up supertankers with water than it would be to transport ice.

19. kosiosko 1

kosiosko 1 King

yes ... several plants are/or nearly operational... but only because we refuse to recycle our poo water ... which as the Netherlands, London and Israel have proved to be more cost effective

In Melbourne new housing developments are just now recycling storm water in a separate system for gardens and car washing and loo flushing

on the positive ... we have dual flush toilets (#1/#2) rainwater tanks are subsidised for homes and home greywater recycling is becoming common for gardens

our reserves are at 45% of capacity , we have stage 3 water restrictions and this is a good year... at the start of a long hot summer

20. Ceoladir

Why not hydro-power? :mischief: