Austria, Czechoslovakia and Switzerland

Frodo_05

Chieftain
Hi,

is there any hope of having Austria, Czechoslovakia and Switzerland in the game?

The place where we currently have the German City "Rhine" pretty much looks like Basel in Switzerland to me. So we could make this a Swiss city. Maybe we can even add a resource there which can be traded (gold comes into mind)? Or cows representing Milk? Either way, as luxuries and health resources are not available on the map, this would add an interesting element!

For Austria and Czechoslovakia, they could be in the 1936 game initially and annexed via events, or attacked in FFA mode.

Cheers, Frodo_05

Take a look at the Civopedia Leaders and Civs pages to see hints of what's coming in the future. ;)

First of all, I suppose that Dale didn't want to make a different map for 1936; so both maps represent the September 1939 situation: Albania is already occupied by Italy, Austria and Czechoslovakia annexated to Germany.

Talking about Switzerland, I think that isn't in because it hadn't an active role in the war.

And what's the use of having one city civs? They would only complicate the game, that's why Dale created agglomerate civs like East Balkans.

Anyway, you can modify the map by yourself.
It isn't difficult: I myself moved southwards the African coast, enlarged Italy and Great Britain, added cities to the U.K. in order to have what I consider a more realistic representation.
Just start a new game as Germany, and at once enter the World Builder.

Talking about Switzerland, I think that isn't in because it hadn't an active role in the war.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. Switzerland had an important role as a trading partner and banking place in the war. They were financing the German War effort to a significant part. The vast majority of foreign gold transactions were made via Swiss banks, enabling the Germans to buy desparetely needed raw materials for the war industry from neutral countries such as Tungsten from Portugal and Iron Ore from Sweden. In addition, the Germans received vast amounts of Jewish property from Swiss banks and insurance companies.

An active role does not necessarily involve fighting.

And what's the use of having one city civs?

I suggested giving the Swiss a resource they can trade to the Germans. The number of cities is irrelevant in this context, only the number of resources is important.

Frodo, Civ 4 doesn't really have a developed banking engine, so playing as Switzerland may not be too enjoyable.

Anyway, I think Portugal is the only really significant omission, considering the anglophile nature of Estado Novo, in contrast to Franco's foreign policy.

Frodo, Civ 4 doesn't really have a developed banking engine, so playing as Switzerland may not be too enjoyable.

Anyway, I think Portugal is the only really significant omission, considering the anglophile nature of Estado Novo, in contrast to Franco's foreign policy.

A separate portugal would be good, as it would have at least two cities and thus be strong enough to fight its own wars.

And there'd be 200 of them! :eek:

Top Bottom