1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Austria in place of Portugal

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by schizerbone, Sep 27, 2009.

1. schizerbone

schizerbone Chieftain

I have Civ III complete...

Can anyone be my best friend and add Austria in place of Portugal for me? I don't know how to do it...it's so complicated! I don't know if it'll get done, but might as well ask...thanks in advance.

2. The Guardian

The Guardian Praetorian

First let me ask you this, Why in place of portugal and for what scenario?

3. schizerbone

schizerbone Chieftain

No real reason about Portugal...I just want to use Austria really, and didn't know which Civ to remove. Not sure what you mean 'for what scenario'.

4. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

What stats do want the hussar to have?

5. schizerbone

schizerbone Chieftain

Damn, I was hoping they would be preset.

How about 7/4/3 ...(and if you need a cost... 100 shields).

6. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

Some better civs to eliminate in favor of Austria would be: Byzantine Empire (Redundant with Rome in the game), Babylon (redundant with Sumeria in the game) and probably the US (possibly redundant with England in the Game, although the largest single nationality in the US in German, which still would render the US redundant with Germany in the game....)

7. schizerbone

schizerbone Chieftain

I wouldn't mind replacing Byzantine with Austria either.

8. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

If you are looking for redundant civilizations, Germany would qualify as well if Austria is in the game. Germany as we know it did not exist prior to 1871, while under the Holy Roman Empire, for an extensive period of time, the area now known as Germany was controlled by Austria. Prior to the proclamation of the German Empire in 1871, Germany was a collection of quasi-independent kingdoms and principalities, with Prussia as the single largest power.

Given the history of Portugal in the exploration of the globe, I would be very hesitant about removing it. I can see the arguments for the Byzantines and the Babylonians, although the Babylonians were not really successors to the Sumerians.

9. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

The Germany "as we know it" was formed in 1945 not 1871.:crazyeye:
    Very obvious that you don`t know Germany.
    Changing Germany with Austria in an Epic game is nothing than stupid. Germany was always more dominant than Austria will ever be.

10. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

Here are two scenarios. One with Austria replacing Portugal and the other with them replacing the Byzantines. Enjoy.

EDIT: I should add, the city list and great leader lists were taken from the Napoleonic Europe conquest, so may be a little era-specific.

Attached Files:

11. schizerbone

schizerbone Chieftain

Thank you so much... :goodjob:

One day I gotta learn how to add those units/civs, etc. I can't believe after all these years of playing Civ III, I just found out about all these mods.

12. Gen. Rommel

Gen. Rommel Wüstenfuchs

Just as side note, may I add that most of the civs don't represent modern-day nations. Much rather they stand for whole culture groups, the Germans in this case standing for the "Germanic" culture, which the Austrians would also fall under. To truly be politically correct, we would need WAY more civs in the game, dividing each culture group respectively, as is for instance done with the Dutch sub-divided from the Germans. You would then also need to sub-divide the Belgians, the Swiss, and on and on the list goes. So the discussion determining which civs to scratch from the list is a bit trivial. Just see the civs as a rough split up of some of the worlds most dominant cultures. If someone has a personal reason for getting rid of a certain civ, as is the case in this thread, then that is their own choice.

13. DJ Bonebraker

DJ Bonebraker a.k.a Laura

I agree about NOT removing portugal, however, even with Austria in the game, Germany doesn't become entire redundant... You COULD re-name the current "Germany" to "Prussia" and you'd have one of history's biggest rivalries availible.... While Austria dominated Southern German (and Southern European) politics, Prussia dominated Northern Germany and is what eventually gave rise to modern Germany (mainly by taking over all German minor states except Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein)

The best part is, the only modification you'd have to make to the current Germany would be the name and some of the cities. :D

On the topic of modding the epic game.... Anyone know where I can find a Good Gustav II Adolph (a.k.a Gustavus Adolphus) LH.... I'd like to replace Ragnar with a WORTHY Scandinavian king....

14. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

Er... in 1945 Germany split in half. Last time I checked, Germany is still one country.
    But, to get back on topic, well done Virote Considon!

15. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Well, I guess that you could regard the Roman defeat by the Germanic tribes under Arminius at the Battle of the Teutoburg Wald in 9 AD as evidence of nascent German nationalism. Germany as it exists today came into being in 1990 following the collapse of the Warsaw Pact with re-unification. As for Germany being more important than Austria, Austria was a major European power when Frederick the Great great-grandfather, the Great Elector Frederick William, was still in diapers.

However, you can pretty much pick any civilization you want in the game and eliminate it. Just depends on your viewpoint. Personally, if I were eliminating a civilization or civilizations, I would drop the Iroquois and the Zulu, as neither has played a major role in world affairs, and maybe the Aztec, Inca, and Mayas. Not sure about retaining the Hittites either.