Austria

It doesn't seem to be about rounding, I'm seeing numbers below that even with rounding considered.

I may post in github next game; my current one already has Hospitals from Universal Healthcare mudding the science gained from yields.

I posted a github about this but figured I'd crosspost this here since I'd like to see some discussion.

Spoiler :
20181113202717_1.jpg

As of the 11/9 patch, City states married by Austria will flip to "friendly" the turn after they declare war on you due to being allied to someone else. This is the case even if they change hands; when I was at war with two people, the CS had peace blocked, then was friendly next turn. When the other person allied the CS, I had peace blocked the first turn and friendly the next.

You still can't interact with them with diplo units and they won't talk to you (see screenshot) but based on the screen they are still giving you friend-tier yields. I'm not sure how to test if this is actually the case.

Honestly, if this is unintended this is a pretty interesting mechanic, basically guaranteeing some amount of CS yields based on marriages. Flavorwise it makes sense too, your suitor basically has a coalition within the state that can "help" you, but off the books since they're supposed to be at war. I don't know how Austria is right now in the power rankings, but this could be a unique buff.

I posted a github about this but figured I'd crosspost this here since I'd like to see some discussion.

As of the 11/9 patch, City states married by Austria will flip to "friendly" the turn after they declare war on you due to being allied to someone else. This is the case even if they change hands; when I was at war with two people, the CS had peace blocked, then was friendly next turn. When the other person allied the CS, I had peace blocked the first turn and friendly the next.

You still can't interact with them with diplo units and they won't talk to you (see screenshot) but based on the screen they are still giving you friend-tier yields. I'm not sure how to test if this is actually the case.

Honestly, if this is unintended this is a pretty interesting mechanic, basically guaranteeing some amount of CS yields based on marriages. Flavorwise it makes sense too, your suitor basically has a coalition within the state that can "help" you, but off the books since they're supposed to be at war. I don't know how Austria is right now in the power rankings, but this could be a unique buff.

I saw this as well in my recent Austria game and assumed it was a result of the marriage, too. No idea if this has been this way for a while or not.

F0ckin' op as hell yo.

50% more yields from quest is crazy by itself, like it keeps you going strong from early game in every aspect (culture, science, military, and gold).
And here comes the political marriage UA; 500 golds for no decay the whole game is just too strong.

I thought to myself while playing as Austria, "why would anyone play as other diplomatic civs like Germany, Greece, or Siam if Austria is this good?".

F0ckin' op as hell yo.

50% more yields from quest is crazy by itself, like it keeps you going strong from early game in every aspect (culture, science, military, and gold).
And here comes the political marriage UA; 500 golds for no decay the whole game is just too strong.

I thought to myself while playing as Austria, "why would anyone play as other diplomatic civs like Germany, Greece, or Siam if Austria is this good?".

Austria gets shut down super easily unless the stars align.

G

I think the UA, Diplomatic Marriage needs a slight nerf in the early period of the World Congress.

I'm playing as Austria, on 6 difficulty on a standard Communitas map. I went Tradition-Statecraft-Opening Industry. I spawned on an isolated continent with the Netherlands and a few city states. He stole the most suitable pantheon (Goddess of Springtime) in an area with a ton of plantation luxuries. Tea and Tobacco monopolies, as well as a stray Cocoa. But I still easily founded with Goddess of Beauty. I also forward settled his capital, off from the rest of the continent, and after two wars took his capital, and vassalied his remaining city. He has had another two cities that my city-state allies took before this (but remained occupied ever since. Can city states not build courthouses?). Anyway, I explored and found a friendly Ottomans until I started converting him, and a Tradition Babylon who was doing quite well, and was tech leader until the early Renaissance. Later on, I found a puny Mongolia who had founded, a non-founding Siam despite a number of religious city-states on the other continent, Russia who had founded, and a powerful Huns.

I founded the world congress with 4 City State Embassies and 6 Diplomatic marriages. Plus with Religious Authority from 20+ cities, and the base votes as a civ, and as the host. By the time of the first vote, I had picked up another 2 city-state embassies and 4 royal marriages, as well as Consulates policy in Statecraft. I had more votes than all the other civs combined, without even considering my vassal.

So I easily passed Catholicism as the World Religion, fended off a sanction, and an attempted ban on my luxury with absolute ease. Since both my regional rivals got tapped as the AIs who made proposals. And now I have more votes than everybody combined x 2.

The thing is, Siam and Russia on the other continent had a few number of city-state allies still. Yet it means nothing because tech progress hadn't unlocked city-state participation. Except marriages with city-states do count in this early period. It is an unstoppable, diplomatic advantage, even if Austria has only hunkered down in a section of the map and locked down the city-states there with embassies and marriages.

I think in the early world congress, Austria's marriage with city-states should count for less.

If we need a small buff to counter this nerf, maybe a slight gold decrease for marriages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom