Austrian civ for epic game

Drift

It's a boy!
Since there seemed to be demand for this, I decided to make a shortcut for people who want Austria in their game but don't want to go through the hassle of editing.

I thought for some time which civ to replace and ended up choosing Koreans based on common dislike for them. In retrospect, I probably should have considered those who play world maps as well - Asia could've used another civ.

Anyway, I didn't change anything else, just replaced Koreans with Austrians, added all the details, UU and king unit. Huge 'thank you' goes to Mobilize who provided all the pediaicons.txt entries.

Info
Name: Austria
Traits: Militaristic and Industrious
Leader: Emperor Charles
UU: Hussar 7.3.3, costs 80, replaces Cavalry
Aggressiveness: 3
Builds often: offensive land units, production, culture
Colors: wine red and beige

Austrian Civ for Conquests (replaces Koreans)

Updated the zip in 4/12/2003: Cavalry was available for Austrians in addition to Hussars

Installation:
- Unzip into Conquests\Scenarios\
- Choose Austrians.biq in Civ-Content

Terms of use:
Use in any way you want. (in mods, scenarios and such) I just compiled some information into a modpack. No need to credit either. (unless you really feel like it.)

Update: JazzToucan has made a version with Austrians replacing Incas. Check post #16 in this thread.

Whoa, the first time somebody ever gave credit to me. No problem at all Drift :goodjob:

Perhaps you could also make versions to replace the Sumerians and/or the Incans because a lot of people aren't to fond with those civs either. Just a thought.

I'm currently working on mod that replaces the Zulu.

Great job.

However when playing as the Austrians something weird happened. The knights templar produced ancient cavalry, and not crusaders as it was supposed to.

Anyone else notice this?

Damnit. Instead of just taking Hwach'a away from Austrians, I deleted it. In the process, the units both wonders produce jumped down one step in the unit list. Statue of Zeus was producing curraghs.

Sorry, I never thought this might happen. I fixed the upgrade lines and all, but didn't think of these wonders.

I'll update the zip. Check first post.

drift, thank you so much for this civ!!!!

one question though, charles' face does not show on the foreign advisor screen and in the tribes part of the civlopedia, is there any way to make it happen?

all will u be making anymore civs.... say poland?

:blush:

*Drift hides his head in the nearest bush*

How exactly did I expect a new civ to work without pediaicons.txt?!

I did modify the file but it seems I didn't feel like sharing it. Once again, I'm sorry. This whole thing starts to feel like a bad idea. I'll fix it rightaway (and try to catch all the other things I've missed.)

lol drift i still say u did a great job at the civ, its a total kick!
will u post an updated version when u do fix any bugs?

ps, how do u do it? make a civ like that

is there a thread in here on how to do it?

Originally posted by artemisarrow
lol drift i still say u did a great job at the civ, its a total kick!
will u post an updated version when u do fix any bugs?

ps, how do u do it? make a civ like that

is there a thread in here on how to do it?

I posted it 10 minutes after I saw your earlier post. Download from post #1. :)

Modding takes some practice. It's not that difficult, but you just need to become familiar with all the tools, civ3 file structure and game mechanics.

I started modding by editing governments and moved up from there, learning as I went on. This place is a wonderful resource, tutorials section has several great pieces of advice and the people are helpful. And you can download finished mods and examine how they are done.

I knew the basics of adding civilizations, but I wouldn't have done it if Mobilize hadn't posted so thorough explanation of adding Austria in this this thread.

Here it is with Austria replacing the Incas. I have given Austria the white "barbarian" color it has in the Napoleonic War scenario and changed the barbarians to grey.

All pictures and icons should be ok. Once again, credit goes to Mobilize for the info regarding the pediaicons, finding the Charles V King Unit, etc. :D

A side note: I actually moved my original "conquests.biq" out of the Conquests folder (to a safe place) and renamed this mod to conquests.biq. Apparently it has the effect of making it read-only, additionally, you can now view the city scene which you are disabled from doing in all mods. There might be some other minor benefits to this, too, that I am unaware of. However, if you do make a switch like this, please do backup your original conquests.biq file.

EDITED - I also overlooked the cavalry problem. Fixed so now Austria can't build cavalry as well as the Hussar.

Available here: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads6/austria2.ace

I think I will use JazzToucan's (sorry drift), because I like the Incans even less than the Koreans (please, nobody feel insulted, this is as a civ in the game, with a bad UU).

Originally posted by Gogf
Don't you need a PediaIcons too?

For Austrians? They are already included with the game. Charles is in "Races" and Hussar is in "Units".

Edit: Ah, my mistake. You were talking about pediaicons.txt

And don't say you're sorry about not playing my version. I don't play it even myself. :lol: It's just a little something I felt like doing since I saw a lot questions about how you can play as Austrians. I myself neglect so many great mods that I'm ashamed of it. Double your pleasure, Medieval European Mod and Warhammer are the most obvious ones. Maybe during christmas holidays... :)

Hope everything works. It works great for me. This is the first time I've used the editor and again I'd be lost with the great advice on the boards and Mobilize's tip on how to change the text file.

Originally posted by artemisarrow
drift, im making a map/mod, may i use your austrian civ?

Of course. Happy mapping/modding.

Top Bottom