1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Authority compared to progress with raging barbarians?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Joel Lee, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Joel Lee

Joel Lee Chieftain

Assuming that we have the raging barbarians setting on, is progress necessarily better than authority? The general consensus seems that progress is more or less the better choice in most games. However, if we have raging barbarians, and choose to wage war with on civ after another, I think the yields from authority (culture and science for destroying enemy units) is also considerable. The food and gold you get from expanding borders also seems to help a lot.

What do people think on this issue? My hypothesis is that authority dominates progress/tradition assuming that you have constant enemy units to slaughter.

2. Hinin

Hinin Chieftain

I almost always play with Raging barbarians on (to the point where I'm so used to defend against waves of barbarians in the early game that it has become 'almost' easy), usually with difficulty 6 on big maps of 10 civs , and what struck me was that :

- first, the AI takes Authority quite rarely (I usually have 1 Authority civ, 2 or 3 Tradition civs and 5 or 6 Progress civs)

- second, that, at difficutly 6, the map gets covered quite quickly, and barbarian camps get destroyed at a fast pace, so taking Authority is still a bit risky, since you'll need to be sure to have several barbarian camps nearby not too exposed to rival attacks
    => it has been told that, in the lower difficulties, there are a lot more barbarians, since the AI don't do the job as well, so Authority should be more stable in its yields there.

- I usually fare better with Progress than with Authority, since it is a more stable and well-paced policy tree (a piece of advice : don't unlock techs you don't absolutely need until you've opened the Progress tree, but research them until they are almost completely researched => that way, once you've opened Progress, you can begin completing the techs you've almost finished to gain a lot of culture in a few turns ; also, beware that the science you gain when opening Progress won't make you gain culture if it complete a research)

I'm not sure what I said helped you, but it is indeed an interesting topic.

3. CppMaster

CppMaster Chieftain

For me, early culture from barbarians is negligible. The main reason for going Authority is to fight wars. If you prefer more peaceful game with big empire then Progress is the way

vyyt likes this.