Authority - I've conquered my enemy on the island, now what?

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
I wanted to get some thoughts from the war experts.

I played out a Persia game, going the south side of the tree to iron working, picked up Authority, and conquered Venice. Its now Turn 88, and what I'm gathering from my scouts Venice was the only person on this large island.

So now I have the place all to myself. I ignored religion for my early rush so that's out of the cards. I have all of the less side of the Authority Tree + Dominance.

So my question is, how should I shift from here to best take advantage of my early conquests, but not fall off because of the loss of warfare yields? Should I complete the tree as well? (right now I really don't see a benefit to not completing it but I could use some thoughts)

EDIT: Update. So my empire fell into wailing unhappiness right after the conquest. Ultimately I lost a city to revolt but took it back, killed the 8 barbs that tore through my main cities, pillaged all of my tiles, and destroyed my 2 TRs (sigh), and now gotten my happiness to at least 35%, so hopefully no more outright revolts.

I'm on Turn 102 now. So from HERE, any thoughts:)

Last edited:
Is your closest neighbor on the next continent reachable before you can cross the ocean?

Is your closest neighbor on the next continent reachable before you can cross the ocean?

They are (Vikings). They have a pretty good navy but they do have some coastal cities that are options. Do you think its better to infrastructure up or shift gears to large naval production?

Revolts aren't even that bad if your army has nothing to do.

I'd finish authority, two policies into progress or tradition won't help that much. You can pick up culture and happiness by garrisoning your soliders while they temporarily have nothing to do.

Do you think its better to infrastructure up or shift gears to large naval production?
What's your tech level? I'd probably spam infrastructure for a while, especially with happiness issues, then switch to navy later on (probably when you get a new unit)

Is it a large island or small? For a large empty landmass I would follow up authority with progress and finish with imperialism. Imperialism buffs courthouses and you have courthouses in all of your cities. Being authority and imperialism I would continue to butcher enemies while my cities would have best infrastructure.

I'd go Authority / Artistry / Imperialism.

You're going to want golden ages to go to war, and artistry will give them to you. Imperialism is great for Persia because of the courthouse synergy.

Real question is where the nearest continent is though.

Persia hits a bit of a lull between ancient / classical warring until Renaissance, because Immortals are good pikemen but upgraded immortals don't really shine again until the tercio promotion.

Sometimes you can style with the part of Authority you have + Tradition->Sovereignty, but in your happy troubles and having nothing for your army to do the Garrison policy coming up is pretty reasonable short term, so I'd probably just finish Authority.

How to progress depends a bit on how you WANT to progress but since you ask for warmongers this is how I would try it.
Turn 88 is very early to be isolated, is this normal speed?

The long term benefits of tree finishers tend to be great so in most cases that is the best option but I'm not sure here.
How is the CS situation in your lands?

No own religion is sort of bad, no religion at all is very unfortunate since that means missing out on a lot of potential yields, happiness etc.
Moreover since you dont have a majority religion you can't faithbuy monastaries when taking fealty (which normally is a great option for warmonger persia).

Discipline (policy) will help your happiness situation a lot I would also beeline philosophy for Satrap courts.

Denmark is a bit rough in this situation.
Do they have a religion that you could pick up?

I would finish authority branch and consider my options from there.

They are (Vikings). They have a pretty good navy but they do have some coastal cities that are options. Do you think its better to infrastructure up or shift gears to large naval production?

Sorry, I missed this post.

I'd need to evaluate the tactical situation, but yes, go to war with Denmark. Don't war them immediately - gain a foothold on their continent by taking a CS, assuming there is one there. Let Denmark found first though? Will they?

I dont think you have a choice but to war with Denmark. If there is a peaceful civ in your game, they might snowball and you can't match that without warring .

I'm curious, how did this progress?

Ultimately I got interrupted and had to do some traveling. When I got back, I got the itch to try a wide tourism game so I abandoned this one. But its food for thought the next time I play that style, thank you all!

Top Bottom