Authority of the Culture Minister

This is an addition to DZ's proposal which I like for its simplicity.
The Minister of Culture shall be responsible for the construction of wonders, as well as the analysis and maintenance of cultural borders and our overall culture level.
I felt that there should be something to do with our overall level, not just borders. The overall level is shown by the game, but the culture minister can analyse that info, how it fits with our strategy and request that governors include cultural buildings in their queues when needed. The culture minister is the person who should have the whole picture of the culture situation - and I don't just mean posting a picture of the culture histogram.

But does the wording 'responsible for maintenance of cultural borders' also imply that a cultural minister can override a governor concerning cultural build? Or does he remain a mere advisor to the governor?

The Governor is responsible for Build Queues, the Cultural Minister can advise and request either specifically (eg: to change a build queue) or generally (eg: to recommend more cultural improvements across a priovince), but cannot override a build queue. This is the same as the Military Minister who can request more units but cannot overide a queue to build them. I would prefer to continue to see cooperation like this between our officials rather have one able to ride roughshod over another.

If it needs to be specific add something like:

The Cultural Minister must work with the Provincial Governors to achieve this, and may not override build queues.

Welcome back, Furiey. I hope your vacation was a good one. I agree with your suggestions and your stance on the situation. :thumbsup:

It's understood that ministers can't override the queues set up by governors. There's no reason to insult the Culture Ministry by including that specific restriction in the Minister's description.

Ashburnham said:
It's understood that ministers can't override the queues set up by governors. There's no reason to insult the Culture Ministry by including that specific restriction in the Minister's description.

I agree here too. The key word in Furiey's statement was "if". As you've stated Ashburham, it's not needed. There has always been a rash of sentiment to restrict or suppress or make useless the Culture Department since the first Demogame. Making a statement like this specific to the Cultural Minister would fall along those lines.

Cyc said:
I agree here too. The key word in Furiey's statement was "if". As you've stated Ashburham, it's not needed. There has always been a rash of sentiment to restrict or suppress or make useless the Culture Department since the first Demogame. Making a statement like this specific to the Cultural Minister would fall along those lines.

How about tacking this not onto each minister, but as a new subsection for Article D (D.7)

D.7 Ministers must work with the Provincial Governors on all matters involving build queues, and may not override the build queues of Governors.

-- Ravensfire

Also add something about the observing of international culture. (culture that influences our borders - i.e., level1, 2, 3, 4 culture), and the total culture of 1 city.

Thanks for the premature kudos everyone. :) However, thanks to Furiey's wise suggestion, it seems as though there may still be work to do on this one.

I would gladly welcome the change but consider this: Shouldn't the monitoring of the cultural level only be a Constitutional requirement if we are pursuing a Cultural victory? If we were not, then the "overall culture level" directive could give way to the mere maintenance of cultural borders.

On the other hand, MOTH is proving that it is a good thing to keep the big picture in perspective, so I have drafted a new amendment for that purpose. What does everyone think of this?

The Minister of Culture shall be responsible for the construction of wonders, as well as the analysis and maintenance of cultural borders. This office shall also monitor Japanatica's cultural level against that of all rival nations.

This thread ain't dead yet

If no one objects in the next 24 hrs I'll be willing to move this forward as a citizen so it can be polled

Top Bottom