Auto Air Recon function

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Better AI' started by GatlingGun, Nov 2, 2008.

1. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

I have a feature request... how hard it would be to code a new button that essentially is a repeatable "goto" button for aircraft? When you click this on, the aircraft (plane, airship, bomber, whatever) would fly a predefined recon route indefinitely until canceled. These routes must be flown at the beginning of the player's turn. It is important to me that the pattern of this route does not change relative to the base of the aircraft... so if I have an aircraft carrier with patrolling planes, I can move this guy around and have a huge field of view wherever he is.

This has obvious advantages, and serves to simulate what real-world air forces do routinely.

As it stands, when I'm engaged in tough late-game battles with lots of AIs, I spend forever initiating manual patrols just to ensure I know what they are up to... with this function, people like me wouldn't burn so many cycles doing things that are completely suited to automation.

Thoughts?

2. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

It definitely should be possible, but I have not done this particular kind of thing before. Pep has posted a custom version of this mod with extra mission buttons, you could try contacting them?

3. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

sure thing... I guess you suggesting that he will code it?

4. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Don't know tell you ask, right? :) Pep has done some related coding and I'm definitely hoping to spread some of the coding around.

5. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

What's the problem with spending "forever" conducting air reconnaissance? ;)

The effort you expend represents your level of vigilance, and allows the dumb AI (regardless of how much better it is than before) the chance to blindside you. If you grow weary of it and relax a little bit, you probably won't miss anything.
    And if you DO, just think how much more stimulating the game will be. :lol:

Military commanders have historically provided innumerable examples of conducting poor reconnaissance, leading to "exciting" ends (of life).

Disclaimer: I play at Noble/Prince difficulties. :D

6. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

What's the problem with asking for a feature you don't like? :D

7. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Interstingly enough, Blake and Iustus created this feature with the last few Better AI build in warlords. Was before BtS, not sure if that code is still around, might actually exist in some of the barried threads. Anyway, I know that the last few builds of better AI before BtS came out, had an auto recon function built in. If Iustus is still around, he'd know more about it. Not sure if he still checks these boards though.

8. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

The code would still be in sourceforge then ...

9. GatlingGun

GatlingGun Warlord

I'll send him an IM... thanks for the tip

10. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

Well it wasn't exactly what you wanted, it was tied into the explore option. So not sure if it'll work.