1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Autocracy yield bonus - or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Iblis, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Iblis

Iblis Chieftain

I played a game as China and eagerly switched to autocracy hoping that it would boost my already amazing capital even further as it states you get a +1 on all yields in the capital. However, after making the switch I noticed zero difference in my yields and city output, and again when I later switched from autocracy to monarchy.

When it states that the capital gets a +1 on yields, what is this supposed to be? I assumed this was tile yields. Is this happening? Was I looking in the wrong place? Or is it building yields or something else. I'd like to understand this as it's the only government so far that hasn't done what I wanted it to.

2. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I think it's just one of each "thing" for the capital itself.

3. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

This.

You get +1 gold, +1 faith, +1 production, etc....plus one of each yield on each tile would be insanely overpowered.

4. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

5. Dark_Jedi06

Dark_Jedi06 "Deus ex Machina."

That's a yield so I would imagine so, I haven't experimented with Autocracy yet.

6. Iblis

Iblis Chieftain

Okay that makes more sense. Definitely not the game changer of a government that I was thinking it was :p Gorgo with oligarchy, however: completely different story.

7. CD7

CD7 Chieftain

Like so many things with Civ 6, it is incredibly vague, seemingly almost deliberately so.
    I mean why bother filling the Civopedia entry with a paragraph of babble, and not even bother explaining what it does?
    "plus one boost to ALL yields" is at best ambiguous, at worst downright misleading.
    I disagree.
    Considering there are three governments, all made available at the same time, and between which you can switch, I'd expect them to be similarly powerful.
    Oligarchy gives you plus 4 to EVERY Malee unit, in EVERY battle. In the early game, that can be a game-changer.
    Republic gives +1 Amenity to EVERY city with a district. If your cities are growing, and short of luxuries, this can be a real help.
    Autocracy, as interpreted by Civ, is supposed to super-power your capital, whilst neglecting ALL your other cities. If you somehow got to this government with only one city, at size 1 (say you've been on the losing end of an invasion) then sure a single extra of each item would be helpful. If your capital is already at a decent size, its barely even a drop in a bucket.

8. GT_OKEZ

GT_OKEZ Warlord

I think all the governments should be more unique and distinguished but I don't think autocracy is as bad as people think. Autocracy gives you +1 to all yields in the capital. That's not super vague to me since you merely click on your cap and see the yields there. If it was meant for tiles too then it would say +1 yield to all yields on all tiles in the cap which would be overpowered.

Each of the opener governments are achieving ( or attempting to achieve) some end. Classical Republic with its extra amenity is clearly meant for Sim City by getting out districts and growing. Districts also help with great people and legacy bonus to Classical Rep is great people points which help you Sim/Tech.

Oligarchy is clearly military focused. It's not that overpowered considering that the combat bonus only effects land melee units (this is the warrior/swordsman class units) and doesn't do anything for Cav except the experience bonus.

Autocracy is what throws people off. Autocracy is for a strong cap focused on wonder production at the cost of some weaker expansions (or maybe no expansion at all). Some players stick with a single powerful city until they get a few wonders out (autocracy gives a wonder production bonus) and then expand later. It's just that not expanding early has a huge opportunity cost in Civ VI in particular so its typically not advised but I'd definitely try an autocracy strat with Civs like China, Egypt, and maybe France. (I.e. with Egypt you can have up to 40% bonus wonder production if you build on a river that gradually increases with autocracy legacy) 40% from Egypt Civ bonus (15) + Wonder policy card (15) + Autocracy (10 base).

9. narmox

narmox Emperor

Don't forget to check the turn after you switch government, because often those extra yields don't show up until it's recalculated in-between turns, while sometimes they are recalculated right away. City-based yields seem to fall under the former category...

10. Kelmort83

Kelmort83 Chieftain

What I like from Autocraty is the bonus to wonder construction, which is not restricted to your capital.

11. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

Honestly it wouldn't be that much stronger than petra if every tile yield already present was +1, except food. It really should be that way.....that would be a great boost to go tall, and make interesting decisions.

8housesofelixir likes this.