1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Automate workers?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by thief15, Jan 24, 2005.

1. thief15

thief15 Chieftain

is it good or bad to automate workers?
    The reason i ask is because i have got about 20 workers and it is hard to manage each one.

also if it helps i have got conquest

2. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

I say: only automate pollution clean up. Do all the mining, roading and irrigation manually. 20 workers, what map size?

3. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

Only 20 workers and you are moaning? ;)
    In every game I play I have a minimum of 70 at the very least. NEVER automate workers. Always control them yourself if you want to be good in this game.

Problem with automating for pollution is that the city doesn't assign a worker to the tile that has just been cleaned up and will be unused until next pop. And unless you don't do it manually you won't realize and will have plenty of tiles which have just been cleaned up and are left unused for some turns. So that's why I don't automatize them even for pollution purposes.

A worker is one of the most powerful units in this game if used wisely to your own advantage. It is probably the most underrated unit in the whole game aswell. You may never have enough workers.

4. thief15

thief15 Chieftain

stander with 11 cities, although it doesn't matter anymore because i won :king:

:eek:
    how many cities do you have?

also i ma a bit of a n00b and have not been playing for very long :p

5. Drakan

In the current Deity game I have huge pangaea map 8 civs aiming at SS victory in 1800's I have approximately 70-80 cities (I cannot be bothered to count them manually. I normally know how many I have by the number of Armies I have. Every 4 cities= 1 Army. I have 18 or 19 Armies now , can't remember.)

On average I finish huge maps with 80 or so cities because I like winning through SS (conquering a few civs in the meantime to obtain badly needed luxuries and Strategical Resources and for the fun of it of course; on this game the Spaniards and the Russians were annihilated and I took many cities from the Ottomans and the Americans). However, other players go full out conquests and end up with more than 200 cities on huge maps. I've only done that a couple of times and it's a real pain in the ... to manage so many cities.

(P.D. Don't worry for being a newbie, ask all the questions you want, we're here to answer all queries. I automatized all my workers during my first vanilla civ3 games and lost :lol:.)

6. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

To give a clue of how many workers I need, in my current game, I have exactly 101 workers (+ about 20-30 slaves) and my lands are really badly improved. I only have about 50 cities...

7. Silas

Silas Chieftain

Try automate 10 and use the other to specific matters. Never automate in modenn era
    IF all work's aready done or they'll hide in a city and when pollution comes you'll have touble to find it in big cities.

8. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

The essential questions are: do you have a huge empire? are you winning the game? do you hate micromanaging?

If you answer YES to all of them then perhaps you should automate some of your workers!

From a pure greed point of view, it is better NOT to automate, as the AI takes decisions for you, some of them you won't like!
    From a fun point of view, if that is an hassle for you then you should automate.

But notice that AUTOMATE isn't the only option! There are other choices regarding the worker, so u might do a PARTIAL AUTOMATE, which might be:
    - Only do land cleaning.
    - Limit changes to a single city.
    - Only do NEW improvements (not change previous improvements)
    - There are others I can't remember

What I do, is that when it starts to be annoying, I take a few workers and put them in specific actions (50% in only land cleaning and 50% only doing new improvements) but I also keep a few manual workers for actions I specifically want (or to rework the bad work done by an automated worker).

So, check the ADVANCED UNIT ACTIONS for the worker.

mwmoriarty likes this.
  9. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

well LUTHOR has some point, but when you go up the levels you really dont want to automate them.
    just stack them in grous of 6 and move them around.
    its easier, just like 1 wrker and 6 times the speed
    that is in C3C

10. Drakan

It has happened that automated workers will hook up your five sources of iron first and only then will they hook up your only source of saltpeter, that¡s plain dumb. The higher the level you really ought to control them yourself.

11. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Everyone else has already explained the benefits/disadvantages of automating workers. ;)

I hate automating workers because they end up doing stoooopid and useless things. :crazyeye:

12. CIV34ME

CIV34ME Chieftain

I'm new to Civ 3, and my strategy is to build one worker for each city, and then automate them to that city only. I also leave a few extra workers for connecting resources. Is this a good strategy?

13. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

Hey, it's your strategy. If you're happy with how it works then all the power to ya! :goodjob:

I just constantly build workers over time. Not per city thing for me, but you do need lots of workers to keep up with you city growth. ;)

14. thief15

thief15 Chieftain

thanks everyone for there input :goodjob:

I have played a few games with automated workers and that are pretty stupid and annoying :mad:

it is better for my empire if i control them :D

@soul_warrior, i never knew you that was possible

15. IXIRandyIXI

IXIRandyIXI Dirty Warmonger

I finally played a game last night without just using my Workers to connect my cities with roads then just automating them. It worked so much better! :goodjob: No more stupid over-irrigating, ignoring connecting important resources, etc. Definitely manage your own Workers if you know what you're doing.

16. Woody

Woody General

I control my workers manually until after I get railroads, then once I get all my cites connected with rails I turn the majority of them to automatic but dont change improvements. I keep a couple groups of 8-10 workers under my control to do spot jobs. By the time I get railroads I pretty much have most by territory irrigated/mined how I like so the automatic workers mainly just save me the hassle and time of railroading every square by hand. I use the workers I keep under my control to adjust irrigated/mined tiles around cites to keep them from growing too big and etc.

17. paulfish

paulfish cheese head

One thing I like to do is put some of them on automate without changing any thing. this helps with pollution control. but wait till you have all land improvents done.

18. shadow2k

shadow2k Emperor

You can automate workers in different ways.

You can tell them to just clear damage, improve one city, road between cities, rail from one point to another, clear wetlands, or just do their thing without screwing with prior improvements (shift + a).

The thing is, they don't think. They will still do stupid things, and lose efficiency the longer you leave them on their own.

I generally get tired of moving all my workers after I've built my RR network to each city, and the major cities are all taken care of. Sometimes I'll put half or so on shift + a, but I've found that to still be bad.

In the game I just won, I razed every single city of the Babs, because their culture was so much more than mine. This created an abundance of slaves, and a lot of new land that needed improving. I found that I had probably over 100+ slaves, and at a certain point, they stopped working. I had them on shift + a, and they'd just run around till they ran out of movement points. The amazing thing was they'd run out of movement points on these tiles, but not improve them, and go through the same sequence again, then ask for new orders. It took me a bit to figure this out, as I was more concentrated on the war overseas.

I still don't know what's up with that, never happened in PTW, but I'm no longer going to be putting even a single worker on automate for anything. Imagine having 30 workers running out of movement points every turn, yet, never improving that tile (RR the damn road, or road it for heaven's sake!). Even worse, imagine these same workers wasting my time having me put them on shift + a every turn for twenty turns, and then my realization of what they were doing. :mad:

I disbanded the offending units the moment I noticed, out of spite :lol:

19. Admiral8Q

Admiral8Q Prince

You're all fired!!!
    :lol: :rotfl:

20. MikeH

MikeH Prince

I used to set workers to auto clear pollution in the modern age and then I noticed they would decide to clear up up that volcano I'd been ignoring for 4000 years instead of clearing the square that's causing my capital to starve and delaying my spaceship, so now I don't even do that.

Really, automating workers is giving up one of the advantages you have over the AI.