1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Autoplay Expansion tweak

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Corossol, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

Hi!
    I've been playing RFC for a while and it's the best mod for Civ hands-down.:thumbsup:

One thing that many have noticed is that few AI empires ever reach their historical extent; Rome and Mongolia for example tend to stay quite close to home. This is normal given the need for balance and the limited time available, so I don't expect to see lots of expansion in the regular game. But I made a small tweak to my RFC that gives certain AI Civs a second, expanded spawn zone that is triggered during Autoplay. For example, if you start as Ethiopia or 3000BC Arabia you will see a Roman-controlled Egypt; if you play as Turkey you will spawn in Mongolian-occupied Anatolia. I find it gives a slightly different flavor to the game, with a regional superpower instead of a group of roughly-equal nations. This only affects Autoplay before your game starts, so you don't have to learn any new spawn zones or worry about having your own cities taken this way.

If you want to give it a try I've attached the relevant files, for BTS RFC v1.186. Just back up your Rhye's install and use WinRar to extract the Rar file in the main Rhye's folder; it contains the Assets folder to match the existing one. Say Yes to file replacement (of course, you made a backup first). Edit the file "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization.ini" in the main Rhye's folder and set NoCustomScenario = 0. Then, on the main loading screen, choose Custom Scenario and you can check the new option called "Autoplay Expansion".

Autoplay expansion is optional and does not affect normal RFC if the option is not selected. And to clarify: the expansion is not for the human player but for everyone that comes before. If you want your huge empire you still have to fight for it... you just might fight different neighbours than usual. Also, "expanded spawn zone" is a bit of a misnomer since the expansion can occur some time after the initial spawn. In a previous version I gave the AI their full empires at the start but then Rome got so powerful they would always found Christianity before Ethiopia even spawned.

Here's a list of expansion sequences:
    - Persia expands before the Carthage spawn;
    - Carthage expands before the Roman spawn;
    - Rome expands before the Ethiopian spawn;
    - Arabia expands before the Khmer spawn (or, just after the 600AD start);
    - Khmer expands before the Spanish spawn;
    - Mongolia expands before Turkish spawn;
    - Turkey, China and Russia expand before the American spawn.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

2. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Have you tested it much? I expect there are consequences on stability and balance resulting from some civs having a much better start.

Still, it's a very interesting solution to a problem which has been discussed on here time and time again and I'll definitely try it out. You've put us all to shame :p

3. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Can you still play normal RFC without the expanded spawn zone with this mod because it sounds like the expanded spawn zone is just optional.

Downloading Now!

4. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Yes the Autoplay expansion is optional and does not affect normal RFC if the option is not selected. And to clarify: the expansion is not for the human player but for everyone that comes before. If you want your huge empire you still have to fight for it... you just might fight different neighbours than usual. Also, "expanded spawn zone" is a bit of a misnomer since the expansion can occur some time after the initial spawn. In a previous version I gave the AI their full empires at the start but then Rome got so powerful they would always found Christianity before Ethiopia even spawned. ;)

5. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

6. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

nice job. I won't add it because it sounds very deterministic, but it definitely deserves to be in the modcomps page

7. senturus

senturus Warlord

Interesting. Would you precise what civs are concerned by these tweaks, other than romans and mongolia?

8. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

Thanks for your kind words Rhye! I agree it's quite deterministic, so the variety comes mostly from whether the AI settles inside or outside their neighbours' expansion zones (since I don't place any extra cities myself).

Here's a list of expansion sequences:
    - Persia and Greece expand before the Carthage spawn;
    - Carthage expands before the Roman spawn;
    - Rome expands before the Ethiopian spawn;
    - Arabia expands before the Khmer spawn (or, just after the 600AD start);
    - Khmer expands before the Spanish spawn;
    - Mongolia expands before Turkish spawn;
    - Turkey, China and Russia expand before the American spawn.

9. jorissimo

jorissimo Warlord

Hi, I have a few questions.
    How do you edit your Civilization.ini file to enable Custom Scenarios?

And what do you mean with: extract the files according to the folder structure?
    Do I just have to extract de files in Assets?

P.S. I like the idea:goodjob:

10. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

Just extract in the main Rhye's folder; the zip file contains the Assets folder to match the existing one. Say Yes to file replacement (of course, you made a backup first). As for the ini file, it's "Rhye's and Fall of Civilization.ini" in the main Rhye's folder. Just edit it and set NoCustomScenario = 0. This is useful not just for modcomps like this one, but also if you want to enable an option like No Tech Brokering to slow down the tech race a bit. I use it in all my games.

11. jorissimo

jorissimo Warlord

Ok, thanks.

12. jorissimo

jorissimo Warlord

I changed it to NoCustomScenario = 0 and saved it, but I didn't get the option custom scenario when I loaded the mod. Is there something else I need to change?

13. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

This should be enough. Are you looking at the main menu that starts with "Play Now" (greyed out) ?

Also I have attached the updated modcomp for BTS patch 3.17. Only the CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml file has changed.

14. jorissimo

jorissimo Warlord

Yes, but custom scenario is grey too.

15. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

This looks like fun, I can't wait to play it.

16. thadian

thadian Kami of Awakened Dreamers

looks good ill try it - will it work for 1.184?

17. kairob

kairob Biohazard

Is this version working for the latest version? If not could someone please update it?

18. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Ya I agree, could someone please update this modmod to the latest version of rfc because i would really like to try it :)

19. Corossol

Corossol Optimist Prime

OK, I'll update it in the next few days. With the new RFC version coming out I was thinking of getting back into modding anyway.:)

20. Cethegus

Cethegus King

I will download it once a 3.19 version is released. This looks very promising.